F22, really beautiful

May 11, 2008
http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/19369_large_f22.JPG

I have to say, this aircraft sure is a beauty.

19369_large_f22.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRVbr1OfKc

If it is as good as they say, this song will fit :

Godsmack - I stand alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYjZK_6i37M

Last edited:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Pretty planes or fix collapsing infrastructure....choices are hard.

Sorry to shit on your enthusiasm op :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It is even more amazing to watch in person. Caught it at Miramar a couple years back.

Some of the "stunts" it can do are amazing....

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

F22 is beautiful, awesome, and really needs no further government spending (besides regular upkeep, obviously).

Unless you're talking about selling them, there's no way to recoup what has been spent on the F22, which again, has been around now for quite a while. Now, if you want to cut aircraft spending programs, they are currently spending a decent chunk of cash on the F35/JSF program. ;)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
And old. I seem to recall playing some Janes games with it almost 15 years ago.

That's still fairly young in aircraft terms. It's still incredibly competent and can handle warfare operations with all but the most recent aircraft... which except for the F35/JSF, most new aircraft are actually very similar, if not almost clones (likely reverse engineered) of the F22, which are in the hands of some of bigger countries we'd like to not see do anything violent. So hell, even then, the F22 will probably fare well, if they are in the hands of competent pilots.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
That's still fairly young in aircraft terms. It's still incredibly competent and can handle warfare operations with all but the most recent aircraft... which except for the F35/JSF, most new aircraft are actually very similar, if not almost clones (likely reverse engineered) of the F22, which are in the hands of some of bigger countries we'd like to not see do anything violent. So hell, even then, the F22 will probably fare well, if they are in the hands of competent pilots.

F-22 had a 100% win record in simulations against every fighter in the world.

The only one that could give it a run for it's money is a new Russian Sukhoi that isnt even operational yet.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i went to Mexico Beach FL for my birthday four years ago which is just east of Tyndall AFB where all F22 training occurs. you can lay on the beach and watch them come back in from training exercises, beautiful aircraft indeed.

May 11, 2008

I prefer the infrastructure to be maintained. What use is a futuristic device if you do not have the infrastructure to support the people building it ?
What use is it to defend a country where there is no country to defend, only wasteland and tribe like behavior. Your problem(assuming you are form the US) is that in reality a large part of the us economy is based upon going to war or selling arms. The only things that cannot be moved offshore for obvious reasons. I mean it would be a waste if that high technology multi billion dollar research was stolen, analyzed and copied. Nuts and bolts and separate (military grade quality)parts yes, but assembled outside the US ?
I cannot imagine that, that would be foolish.

I still think the aircraft is a beauty, tho. :wub:

May 11, 2008
I do question the efficiency of the whole development cycle.

I was for a short while active in the airplane maintenance(needed to pay bills and a job is a job).
It reminds me of the quality control of aircrafts. Being forced to buy buttons of 200 dollars a piece (just 3 dollars plastic and coating) because of some monopoly agreement and contract in reality while claiming that it is the high quality and tough materials that are the cause of the high price. In the aircraft industry there is a lot of monopolies. Some are justified because of the high quality. Some are no more than monopolies to make easy money.
I forgot the name of the quality control, something with A...

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
F-22 had a 100% win record in simulations against every fighter in the world.

The only one that could give it a run for it's money is a new Russian Sukhoi that isnt even operational yet.

It is so powerful that they couldn't risk it flying in Lybia... What if one got shot down - that would be awkward.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think some of the planes from WWII look better, like the P51, P38, Spitfire, and Mosquito.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
It is so powerful that they couldn't risk it flying in Lybia... What if one got shot down - that would be awkward.

What the hell would the Air Force shoot down with an F-22 over Libya? Completely unneeded asset.