F@H Question - assignments and updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
My log file includes the line:

"Unit X finished with XX percent of time to deadline remaining."

Maybe it's because I use the "-verbosity 9" flag.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
What does it mean in HFM "client is working with the same user and machine id as another client" ? Am I loosing points ? these are on a different physical box. How do I fix it ? I just ran with "-configonly" to add the passkey.

And it has my PPD way higher than fahmon, except my real ppd is the same as fahmon.

Edit: I have one client with verbosity 9, and it has the below:
[20:08:26] Unit 4 finished with 80 percent of time to deadline remaining.

So you have to do 10 units per client, not per passkey to get the bonus....

Last edited:

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
What does it mean in HFM "client is working with the same user and machine id as another client" ? Am I loosing points ? these are on a different physical box. How do I fix it ? I just ran with "-configonly" to add the passkey.
Same machine ID is fine on a different box.

And it has my PPD way higher than fahmon, except my real ppd is the same as fahmon.
FAHMon will be correct until you qualify for bonus, and then HFM will be correct.

According to Stanford it is 10 per passkey with an 80% or better completion rate.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
As long as they're on different boxes, it's fine. The notice may get annoying after a while, but that's the worst it'll get.

Yes. HFM will be the more accurate one once you qualify for the bonus.

Edit: I have one client with verbosity 9, and it has the below:
[20:08:26] Unit 4 finished with 80 percent of time to deadline remaining.

No, it's 10 per passkey. It's just that the client shows the number of units completed on that machine, since it has no way of knowing how many work units other clients have completed, and even if it could, would not be desirable.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, I say that, since I have done WAY over 10 for my passkey, 8 machines times 4 units ? thats 32, even if I am off by a few.

And as for the message on HFM, it also shows the exact work unit on both boxes, even though its impossible, since one is local, and one is a network connection.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Well, I say that, since I have done WAY over 10 for my passkey, 8 machines times 4 units ? thats 32, even if I am off by a few.
And those were all A3 WUs (p6011 - p6059)?

And as for the message on HFM, it also shows the exact work unit on both boxes, even though its impossible, since one is local, and one is a network connection.
I would check the log to make sure that they are not identical WUs; if they are you need to reinstall one of the clients.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
And those were all A3 WUs (p6011 - p6059)?

I would check the log to make sure that they are not identical WUs; if they are you need to reinstall one of the clients.

Yes, all A3's. And if you look on the machines themselves, they are different wu's. fahmon works OK for these two boxes, but the hfm is confused.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Quick question, since you all are talking about HFM.net, and I just started using it. Is there a FAQ or help file somewhere on this program? I have it working and my clients loaded but have a few questions.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
As in same project, as well as same run, clone, and generation?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
As in same project, as well as same run, clone, and generation?

OK,I figured it out. The network alias was not showing in the network neighborhood. After correcting that(I picked that instead of the real alias of the other machine), its OK now. I was using the network alias if the computer for the second one, it was a dup.

I hate Microsuck !

But now I have a new question. I have 2 different boxes, each with a 100% matched pair of video cards. One card does 1000 ppd, the other does 6000. I think I had this happen with another box, but its fixed now, and I forget what I did to fix it. Any ideas ?

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks Assimilator1. :thumbsup:

I was just there when I found and downloaded the program. Then promptly forgot...........:oops:

My memory is about as long as my ..................... Anyway it is getting shorter by the day. :biggrin:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I shut down BOTH GPU clients, and restarted them on both boxes. Now they are both equal....

Wierd.

Also, according to HFM, I should be at 82k ppd. So when those bonuses kick in, I should be kicking ass. (compared to what I was at, 50k)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Another thing about getting ten WUs finished before you can get a bonus - I think they have to be A2 and/or A3 WUs. If there are none of those available you will get an A1 which won't count toward the ten needed.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Quote from kasson of Pande Group:
Briefly summarizing our bonus formula, the bonus is applied for users who have a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WU's, successfully return >=80% of assigned WU's, and return the WU before the preferred deadline. Bonus points do not apply to partial returns.

Emphasis mine.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
While we are thrashing all this out, W/verbosity 9, I see in the log file the following: (or some variation of)

[13:58:01] Unit 1 finished with 80 percent of time to deadline remaining.
[13:58:01] Updated performance fraction: 0.778601

or

[14:29:18] Unit 7 finished with 98 percent of time to deadline remaining.
[14:29:18] Updated performance fraction: 0.982710

What is the effect of the "updated performance fraction"?

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Sorry. My bad.

What is the effect of the "updated performance fraction"?
The performance fraction is basically a moving mean of the time it takes to finish a work unit. So if you have a performance fraction of 0.982710, then it means that you finish your work units with an average of 98.27% of the time to deadline to spare.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks Mr. Pedantic. :)

It looks like my bonuses are going to be small since I'm not running any I7 processors. Mostly quads. But hey, a bonus here, a bonus there, and pretty soon they add up.................. :D

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks Assimilator1. :thumbsup:

I was just there when I found and downloaded the program. Then promptly forgot...........:oops:

My memory is about as long as my ..................... Anyway it is getting shorter by the day. :biggrin:
Lol :D

Btw getting a decent bonus with my lonely quad :)