F@H: Gotta love the li'l brown truck

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
So it's a wasted thread.... yeah I know.

But I am excited about getting a new video card and actually getting two GPU2 clients running alongside the SMP.

It wasn't without it's adventures:

First I wanted to see how the new card did (9800GTX+) so I uninstalled the original one (8800GTS (G92) 512MB and put the new one in... OH CRAP.... IT WON"T FIT. :shocked:

But with a whoppin' 1/2" to spare it did fit in the secondary PCIE 16X slot. Woah.. that was a relief.

So windowsXP recognized it and the latest CUDA driver install was no issue.... and life was good. I ferked around with it for a while, gave it a mild OC (790-Linked-1150) and enjoyed the view. The 8800 GTS did ~5400PPD and this one was just barely over 6000. (same G92 core, higher clocks). I also noticed it runs A LOT cooler. :)

So now I put the original back in (primary PCIE 16X slot), windows recognized it and I installed the latest CUDA drivers with no issues and life was good. I booted..... CRAP, where was my POST screen? My motherboard was initializing the first slot so it was blind. Then windows started up and I could see again :thumbsup:

No biggie, I'll just fix the CMOS settings to initialize the secondary slot first... Wait, I can't see the POST screens... :eek:
no biggie, I'll just switch the monitor to the other card. Good, CMOS is fixed..... OH CRAP... now I can't see windows :(

So one more shutdown, move the monitor again and finally, I can see my POST, see windows and by now am almost scared to try and install a second GPU client. (Once you have to face the fact that you're retarded, it tends to shift your perspective in wonderful ways. ;) )

I followed the instruction guides at the FaH forum (Thank you Xilicon) and it worked like a champ.

So if you actually read all the above..... YOU ARE A GEEK..... welcome aboard :beer:

Here's the clusterferk of a PC with too much stuff inside it.

-Sid

(back to our saturday :beer: :beer: )

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Nice, very nice! :)
More than 10 000 ppd on one comp! Congrats! :beer: for you from me! ;)

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Oh! Brown truck. I've been trying to figure that out for hours. :laugh: Yay new toys.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Congrats !

I am getting 11400 on my quad with 2 GPU units (8800GT's), looks like you will be getting a big boost in PPD. Even though I have 41433 total, I can't get my real average over 38k due to EUE's (bad work units)

See PPD here.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
OK, now this is COOL

I had never tried setting the windows system environment variable so the GPU clients would select all CPUs

Here is the difference it made!

By setting the variable to 15 (all cores) my GPUs are folding at very nearly the same rates they were when the SMP wasn't running. SMP production doesn't seem to be affected (still early.... won't know for sure for a few hours)

-Sid

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Insidious
So one more shutdown, move the monitor again and finally, I can see my POST, see windows and by now am almost scared to try and install a second GPU client. (Once you have to face the fact that you're retarded, it tends to shift your perspective in wonderful ways. ;) )

Classic FUD :D Amazing what it can do!

natethegreat

Dec 5, 2004
I love getting new parts!!! Even better that they are going to help the TeAm too :thumbsup:

Congrats:beer::):beer:

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: GLeeM

FUD you say? :shocked:

Don't make me change the title of the thread to "please delete" :laugh:

-Sid

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Looks GREAT Sid!!:beer::beer:

Hopefully the little brown truck will drop by my house before Xmas this year!;)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004

FUD you say? :shocked:

Don't make me change the title of the thread to "please delete" :laugh:

-Sid

Well maybe not Classic (in the marketing sense - I just looked up the definition) but you had all three affecting you.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001

Well maybe not Classic (in the marketing sense - I just looked up the definition) but you had all three affecting you.

Whew, you had me worried there :eek:

I save the F-word for my most annoyed responses in these forums.

:beer: to our literal (not to mention fearless) FaH leader :beer:

-Sid