F@H configuration on Linux

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Folding is doing really weird things on my new Ubuntu 16.04 Linux machine. I already had it installed, so first I tried to add a GPU slot. It said: "ERROR: On client "local" 127.0.0.1:36330: No available GPUs".

Edit: Next I finished a CPU WU, and deleted the CPU slot.

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FAHClient. That didn't do anything.

Next I tried fully uninstalling and reinstalling FAHClient and FAHControl. Now FahCore_a4 is using 75% of my CPU, but when I launch FAHControl it says nothing's running. o_O

Help!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I had the error on the GPU on a windows box. The problem was the drivers. Not sure on linux, I had so many problems, I gave up and installed win 7, then 10.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've never gotten GPU compute to work on Linux. Always some issue, like no running the app as root, needing some obscure library that wasn't ported because the distro doesn't have a package for it, etc.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
The current problem is not GPU compute. The current problem is a CPU client is running, but it doesn't appear in FAHControl.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
See if you can find and delete the config.xml after finishing current tasks. This file doesn't get overwritten during a reinstallation, it appears.

You'll want to make a back up though, as it contains the passkey, so you can just copy and paste. You'll have to set up the client all over again.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
See if you can find and delete the config.xml after finishing current tasks. This file doesn't get overwritten during a reinstallation, it appears.
Aha! That was one clue I needed. The other clue was that `pgrep FAH` found five processes, four of them FAHClient! So I stopped the service and killed the extra FAHClients.

Then I edited the /etc/fahclient/config.xml file, starting with one from my old machine. I restarted the FAH service, and my GPU started crunching! :D

Here's a basic config.xml for GPU computing, if anyone needs it:

Code:
<config>
  <!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='[enter your passkey]'/>
  <team v='198'/>
  <user v='[enter your username]'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='GPU'/>
</config>