F.E.A.R: Any chance it's being toppled soon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Ichigo
Originally posted by: Soviet
Originally posted by: Oxaqata
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
You're a loser for having an overrated game as your favorite PC shooter. :|

That wasn't called for.

The truth is always called for, no point in dancing around it, FEAR sucks. Half life 2 is the best pc shooter.

I sincerely hope you're joking.

Aww not you again, i dont like you :frown:

Yes im having one big joke, dont take any point i make seriously (only applies to you) because its just a joke.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
FEAR was an awesome game, but it's not my favorite shooter. My favorites are:
MP: Battlefield 2
SP: Half-Life 2

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Ichigo
Originally posted by: Oxaqata
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
You're a loser for having an overrated game as your favorite PC shooter. :|

That wasn't called for.

The truth is always called for, no point in dancing around it, FEAR sucks. Half life 2 is the best pc shooter.

I sincerely hope you're joking.

Aww not you again, i dont like you :frown:

Yes im having one big joke, dont take any point i make seriously (only applies to you) because its just a joke.

Yes, something about you pretending your opinion is gospel may rub certain individuals the wrong way, I don't know.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Fear Combat CTF with high speed,high damage (almost instagib) is very fun. Stalker MP just blows for me at least. Single player is great though.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
People have their own preferences, and in regards to games like Far Cry, HL2, FEAR, STALKER, and others, there is no concrete "best" or "worst." It's all about how each player reacts to the game relative to his/her preferences.

These games are so advanced that they have become even more like an art form. The scenery, the sounds, the story, the characters. I'm sure everyone here can remember that first game they played that really got them into gaming.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
FEAR was fun the first time around but it has absolutely no replayability value, and this is coming from someone that plays virtually every game at least three times. The fights are neat at first in the way each one is a special battle instead of a few random baddies placed here or there throughout the level, but they get repetitive and at many parts the AI is blatantly scripted and exploitable. Most of the weapons were pretty lame as well... I used the beginning assault rifle for probably 90% of the game, and this was on hard difficulty. They needed to add more unique fights like the electric ninja guys and such to freshen it up.

FEAR sucks, true, but Half-Life 2 isn't much better. It was a really big dissapointment, actually.

The Water Hazard/We Don't Go to Ravenholm/Highway 17/Sandtraps/Nova Prospekt 5-punch combo was outstanding. Every mission stuck out from the other and felt truly unique, from the part where the gunship goes crazy and throws hundreds of mines at a time to the antlion wars to the headcrab cavern, but after that? The game devolves into a flurry of repetitious battles against the same old combine over and over, shooting stupid glowing balls out of machines, and all sorts of other crapiness. After playing Follow Freeman for an hour I just quit the game it was so awful. Great way to ruin an otherwise great game, Valve. :thumbsdown:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
FEAR was fun the first time around but it has absolutely no replayability value, and this is coming from someone that plays virtually every game at least three times. The fights are neat at first in the way each one is a special battle instead of a few random baddies placed here or there throughout the level, but they get repetitive and at many parts the AI is blatantly scripted and exploitable. Most of the weapons were pretty lame as well... I used the beginning assault rifle for probably 90% of the game, and this was on hard difficulty. They needed to add more unique fights like the electric ninja guys and such to freshen it up.

FEAR sucks, true, but Half-Life 2 isn't much better. It was a really big dissapointment, actually.

The Water Hazard/We Don't Go to Ravenholm/Highway 17/Sandtraps/Nova Prospekt 5-punch combo was outstanding. Every mission stuck out from the other and felt truly unique, from the part where the gunship goes crazy and throws hundreds of mines at a time to the antlion wars to the headcrab cavern, but after that? The game devolves into a flurry of repetitious battles against the same old combine over and over, shooting stupid glowing balls out of machines, and all sorts of other crapiness. After playing Follow Freeman for an hour I just quit the game it was so awful. Great way to ruin an otherwise great game, Valve. :thumbsdown:

I wasn't disappointed in HL2, but I will admit, I replayed through Far Cry more often than HL2. Just more ways of playing the game, and IMO, more memorable levels.

Oct 4, 2004
The combat in FEAR has a nice, visceral, satisfying feel to it. It doesn't have much in the way of level design, replayability and or variety but it wins big points on the sheer atmosphere of the game.

Half-Life 2 was both great and 'we are the mighty Valve - so we are going to piss you off just because we feel like it' at the same time. It had its awesome moments and several sequences that screamed, "Look at what we coded! Gravity gun! It lifts things! Come on! Look! See? Aren't we awesome?" I didn't play Episode: One but I believe more than half of that game has you with no weapons and flinging things at your enemies with the GG? I freaking hate that thing.

Half-Life 2 also wins first prize for crappiest ending ever.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Ryland
Ahh well...so far Riddick and Halo 1 were my 2 favorite FPS' for single player...FEAR was "ok" at best and I hated the expansion...

lol.

anyway, i thought hl2 was great. my favorite fps for sure.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
And back to the OP's question:

yes there are indeed shooters coming soon that should loosen your grip on FEAR. It's not my favorite, but I really enjoyed it when I played it. There's quite a bit coming out fairly soon that looks quality like Crysis, Bioshock, and Assasins Creed (not an FPS, but still looks damn good).

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
The combat in FEAR has a nice, visceral, satisfying feel to it. It doesn't have much in the way of level design, replayability and or variety but it wins big points on the sheer atmosphere of the game.

Half-Life 2 was both great and 'we are the mighty Valve - so we are going to piss you off just because we feel like it' at the same time. It had its awesome moments and several sequences that screamed, "Look at what we coded! Gravity gun! It lifts things! Come on! Look! See? Aren't we awesome?" I didn't play Episode: One but I believe more than half of that game has you with no weapons and flinging things at your enemies with the GG? I freaking hate that thing.

Half-Life 2 also wins first prize for crappiest ending ever.

Actually episode 1 gives you weapons pretty early. Not to spoil it in case you decide to get it but you make a short trip back into the combine citadel via dog flying car airlines, and just like in half life 2 you get no weapons in the citadel. After that you get weapons for the rest of the game. Its a fun ride.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
FEAR has virtually no market share. and it's horrible.
conversely... CS has a huge market share and it's so bad i vomit just thinking about it.

jmjcp1

Jun 11, 2007
the classics are the best, but leave someone wanting more graphically appealing visuals.

I am looking for a new game and don't want cs:s, mainly because I haven't read up on it too much and don't like the idea of buying weapons? I like FPS games because I don't have to spend a lot of time on them like mmorpgs to be good.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jmjcp1
the classics are the best, but leave someone wanting more graphically appealing visuals.

I am looking for a new game and don't want cs:s, mainly because I haven't read up on it too much and don't like the idea of buying weapons? I like FPS games because I don't have to spend a lot of time on them like mmorpgs to be good.

What FPS games have you played?

As far as single player FPS's, I think Far Cry, HL2, FEAR, and the Call of Duty series are the best.