F.C.C. Announces Plan to Repeal Net Neutrality

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Last I checked all of America collectively voted for Trump, that is why he is in the white house. Just like collectively Texas voted for Trump. Gotta give all of the people what the winning segment voted for, right?

Last I checked, America elects Presidents, not kings.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Do people actually believe that other people on the internet are Russian Trolls!? Do you realize how crazy that sounds!?

If you have an argument, then present it, otherwise kindly stfu.

Just an FYI, you're being called names because you're not providing any actual argument to this topic. Which BTW is about Net Neutrality not your Obama Derangement Syndrome.
So how about you present an argument about Net Neutrality, or kindly STFU.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would imagine that ISP's who also own for profit media services will be among the first to begin throttling connections to competitors. This is a truly sad day for the regular people of this country.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Last I checked, America elects Presidents, not kings.
I know, I'm giving him crap based on his posts on the other FCC thread. When it doesn't affect him it's burn it down, when it affects him he's against it.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
As unpopular as this move is it shouldnt be too hard to get some politicians to pledge a reversal once they gain power? Then these ISP fckers can spend more double cash on reversing the reversal.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
So I wrote to senator Ron Johnson about this, here is his CANNED response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding net neutrality.

Since the Clinton administration, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) had regulated the broadband industry with a light touch, allowing the Internet to flourish. Unfortunately, the Obama administration’s decision to reclassify broadband service under Title II — its misnamed “Open Internet Order” — broke with bipartisan tradition. This reclassification imposed heavy-handed utility-style regulations on internet services and led to greater government control of the Internet.

This heavy-handed regulation has caused investment in Internet infrastructure to decline. According to the FCC, among the nation’s 12 largest internet service providers, domestic broadband capital expenditures decreased by 5.6 percent, or $3.6 billion, between 2014 and 2016. As the new chairman of the FCC recently explained, “regulations designed for monopoly will push the market further toward monopoly.” This is not what is best for citizens of Wisconsin or the rest of the country.

One of my top priorities is to ensure the expansion of high-speed broadband throughout Wisconsin. On May 18, 2017, the FCC released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for broadband services that was a welcome development. This action restores the light-touch regulation that allowed for a free and open Internet for nearly 20 years.

Thank you again for contacting my office. It is very helpful to hear the views of the constituents I serve. Please see my website at www.ronjohnson.senate.gov for additional information. It is an honor representing you and all the people of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Liars gonna lie. You are not representing me you fucking shitbag, you are representing the CEOs of a few powerful ISPs. Own it.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Welcome to your new internet. This is our future brought to you by your local Republican selllout. I will be interested to see the Republican apologists response when they actually experience the wonders of killing Net Neutrality.

Have to laugh, the platform I have always hated will now represent my internet. This is really world changing. When I retire I am moving to some place with municipal broadband. I'll be damned if I will spend the rest of my life with my internet hijacked by some greedy fucks.

net_neturality1-e1509289851528.png

In ironic news..... India just passed Net Neutrality. This is just another reason why Asia is the future and America is the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ciCW-8AE0

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Is it back?

Other threads:

Reactions: SteveGrabowski
Feb 4, 2009
What I’d like to see and it is mostly in the mobile space is a approximate and mostly accurate measure of what “de-prioritized” data speeds are.
Some good prepaid deals out there it’s just unknown what your data speed will be at any given time. Really risky to pay upfront for three months of service and then find out your data is a little faster than dial up for morning & afternoon commutes.
Basically require any ad to give a realistic range as to what data speed will be when you are not priority data.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What I’d like to see and it is mostly in the mobile space is a approximate and mostly accurate measure of what “de-prioritized” data speeds are.
Some good prepaid deals out there it’s just unknown what your data speed will be at any given time. Really risky to pay upfront for three months of service and then find out your data is a little faster than dial up for morning & afternoon commutes.
Basically require any ad to give a realistic range as to what data speed will be when you are not priority data.

This would be cool, but I’m not hopeful. Mobile speeds are so variable, it’s a big ask for an ISP to guarantee anything. Even the big vendors can take a stab at it, but it’s not certain :/

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ajit pai or whatever his name is can still eat shit and eff off afaic.

The collusion to repeal ran deep, and lying about support from the general public is a mainstay in the GOP’s platforms. Trump is truly their front man

Feb 4, 2009
This would be cool, but I’m not hopeful. Mobile speeds are so variable, it’s a big ask for an ISP to guarantee anything. Even the big vendors can take a stab at it, but it’s not certain :/
I agree however a range something like when the network is busy you should get speeds between 200k to 2mb.
Certainly there is enough data to give a moderate range.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I agree however a range something like when the network is busy you should get speeds between 200k to 2mb.
Certainly there is enough data to give a moderate range.

I would like to know what usage data is being collected, for me it’s often the same towers / locations where there’s problems. You’d think they’d notice!!🤣

What “they” really want is the ability to implement a real pay to play format and gouge the hell out of it.

Feb 4, 2009
I would like to know what usage data is being collected, for me it’s often the same towers / locations where there’s problems. You’d think they’d notice!!🤣

What “they” really want is the ability to implement a real pay to play format and gouge the hell out of it.
Exactly and that’s why I’d like to know what the reduced speeds would be. I am confident their ultimate goal is sell data at a high speed, throttle is more and more, then sell “high speed data packs” to increase your speed for X dollars and Y amount of data.
They want pay per use data. That is the ultimate goal.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Exactly and that’s why I’d like to know what the reduced speeds would be. I am confident their ultimate goal is sell data at a high speed, throttle is more and more, then sell “high speed data packs” to increase your speed for X dollars and Y amount of data.
They want pay per use data. That is the ultimate goal.

Iirc, last time I looked at an ISP’s service offering in the details…it was a ridiculously slow connection, like >768Kbps was not degraded. This was Comcast, but same premise really. My connection at that time was like 50/5

What annoys me most about this junk is my anecdote of Verizon. Switched to them 2 years ago and we added priority data to my line. I posed the question to the sales guy: “so what if the majority of people have priority data and we just can’t use it anyways?” He was like “that won’t happen with our 5G!”. Wife looked at me with the “don’t even start” face so I didn’t bother lol.

And that’s been the case occasionally . Get to a crowded area, full service, 5G….yet nothing works until we leave the event.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Iirc, last time I looked at an ISP’s service offering in the details…it was a ridiculously slow connection, like >768Kbps was not degraded. This was Comcast, but same premise really. My connection at that time was like 50/5

What annoys me most about this junk is my anecdote of Verizon. Switched to them 2 years ago and we added priority data to my line. I posed the question to the sales guy: “so what if the majority of people have priority data and we just can’t use it anyways?” He was like “that won’t happen with our 5G!”. Wife looked at me with the “don’t even start” face so I didn’t bother lol.

And that’s been the case occasionally . Get to a crowded area, full service, 5G….yet nothing works until we leave the event.
Tmobile?