F-16 Fighter Fires At School In New Jersey

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://www.nbc10.com/news/3890831/detail.html
LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. -- A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission Wednesday fired 25 rounds of ammunition that tore through an intermediate school. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School shortly after 11 p.m.

Police were called to the area when a custodian heard what sounded like someone running across the roof of the school. The custodian was the only person in the school at the time.

Police Chief Mark Siino on Thursday said police officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside the building.

The 2-inch long bullets are made of lead and do not explode, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard.

It was unclear why the shots were fired, Webster said.

CNN with Wolf Blitzer was reporting the target the pilot was supposed to hit was 3 1/2 miles away!

Damn good thing this happened when there weren't kids there!

Feb 10, 2000
:Q

I'm glad I don't have to represent this guy at his Flying Evaluation Board (the hearing to determine whether a pilot should lose his wings). This is going to be tough to explain, unless there was something seriously wacky with the plane's avionics, and even then . . .

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Man...I had some teachers I didn't like but I never thought about flying an Air Force fighter and shooting at them. Everyone knows a Battleship would be much more effective at taking out a school. ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. -- A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission Wednesday fired 25 rounds of ammunition that tore through an intermediate school. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School shortly after 11 p.m.

Police were called to the area when a custodian heard what sounded like someone running across the roof of the school. The custodian was the only person in the school at the time.

Police Chief Mark Siino on Thursday said police officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside the building.

The 2-inch long bullets are made of lead and do not explode, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard.

CNN with Wolf Blitzer was reporting the target the pilot was supposed to hit was 3 1/2 miles away!

I don't know about you but having na firing range 3 1/2 miles away from a population center doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: conjur

I don't know about you but having na firing range 3 1/2 miles away from a population center doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

According to the article, the test range has been there since WWII, long before any sort of developement of the surrounding areas

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
The Navy and Marine Corps share a impact area near San Diego, pretty much everything we have gets tested there, all types of bombs dropped from air, missiles and shells fired from ships at sea, etc. Its out in the middle of nowhere, but near the Mexican border. MOre than once or twice a year they find rotting body parts of immigrants trying to sneak across the border. Usually they come in at night, and dont notice all the signs that say "impact area, do not enter" oops.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That'll teach those damn cookie crunchers for voting for Kerry in the mock elections! :evil:

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
oh and I also thought it was kind of odd that theres a endangered bird reserve in North Carolina, right next to a Marine artillery range, I guess real estate is cheap there ;)

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
That was a test run. American Civil War II is about to begin. Heed Titor's warning!

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
Safe to say this pilot will be peeling taters for a while. Thank God nobody was killed.