Eyefinity question!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
So, for up to 1080p we don't need an active DP to DVI adapter ??

You do need an active DP to DVI adapter. I have seen the rare posts of users that were able to run 3 monitors in extended desktop mode only, at lower resolutions without an adapter but it's not suppose to work and there is little technical justification for such witchcraft to work. You should just plan on a DP monitor or $30 active DP adapter.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
I have a similar question. I have a CF rig going and I'm thinking of going to an eyefinity setup. What's gonna be my requirements, do i need a display port o_O?

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
I have a similar question. I have a CF rig going and I'm thinking of going to an eyefinity setup. What's gonna be my requirements, do i need a display port o_O?

Yes, with AMD all the monitors in an Eyefinity setup need to be run off the primary card, so you will need a DisplayPort monitor or active DisplayPort -> DVI adapter (~$30). If you are not running in Eyefinity mode then you could run the monitors off both cards, but then you could only game on 1 monitor.

Karandar

Jan 17, 2008
Was away for a bit there, and looks like your questions were indeed answered.

3 monitor extended allows you to maximize a window onto a single monitor, while the full 5760 x 1080, maximizing a window resizes it over all 3 monitors - not nice in anything but games.

Generally speaking, if you set up the profiles in catalyst control center, select your gaming resolution before launching your game or it will resize the games video resolution settings you have setup.

You will also then have to shut down your game and resize the screens, then relaunch your games in most applications.

and as mentioned above, you do need an "Active adapter" style cable but you don't need the expensive "plug in" powered adapter style "active cable" at under 1980 x 1200, but can use the less expensive style mentioned, that draws power from the display port - similar to usb devices that way
- these worked for my setup, and reading on various forums, works for most people. AMD has a certified device vendor list on their site

Google AMD validated active display port dongle

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

I'm pretty new here, am I allowed to link an official support page for a company?

For this resolution you can use "single link active" dongles ...
For Higher resolutions you must use the dual link powered - the expensive ones...

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
For this resolution you can use "single link active" dongles ...
For Higher resolutions you must use the dual link powered - the expensive ones...

this. if your screens are staying 1080p or less, then the cheap $30 active adapters will work great. if you want all resolutions, you need the dual link adapters and those are $100+