Eyefinity question!

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
Right, well sadly I just watched some eyefinity vids on YouTube and well now I'm all giddy about it!

So I have a Radeon HD 5770 in my main pc (just one) it has 2 dvi-d outputs and 2 HDMI on it. So I'm asking does anyone know if it can support more than 2 monitors?

Also do they have to be exactly the same size/make etc or can eyefinity work as long as they can support the same resolution?

Not that I have any practical need or use for a multi screen display but hey... that is no reason not too huh?

boochi

May 21, 2011
If it does not have a displayport connection it can only support 2 monitors.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
are you sure there are 2 HDMI, and not 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort? The displayport can allow triple monitors to be connected.

Also, you can use eyefinity on monitors that are different size and different aspect. I'm currently using the following monitors: 1920x1200, 1600x1200, and 1280x1024. I am running eyefinity with each monitor set to 1280x800 (a wide-aspect ratio of 16:10), for an in-game resolution of 3840x800. The reason I did this was so that my center monitor, a 24 inch 1920x1200 Samsung, is completely undistorted. Even though I'm running a 17 inch 1280x1024 monitor right next to the 24 incher, it's not bad at all with the slight mismatch between the different heights. What's really cool is that even though the 17" is only diplaying 800 pixels vertically, it stretches them so that there is no letterboxing and the image better lines up with the 24".

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
it's a display port... oh oh oh.. does that mean I need some cable that plugs into it? Or do I need to dig out what else came in the box with my gc?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
it's a display port... oh oh oh.. does that mean I need some cable that plugs into it? Or do I need to dig out what else came in the box with my gc?

Yes.

You either need a displayport monitor or a displayport-->DVI/VGA adapter.

boochi

May 21, 2011
NO, You can only run 3 if one is on the displayport. You can run HDMI, DVI, Displayport.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Also do they have to be exactly the same size/make etc or can eyefinity work as long as they can support the same resolution?

They don't need to be exactly the same size but if they aren't bezel correction won't be an option.

One monitor must be hooked up through DisplayPort for it to work, the monitor either needs to be a native DisplayPort or you need an ACTIVE DisplayPort -> DVI adapter (or any DisplayPort -> VGA adapter since they are inherently active adapters)

InfoTiger

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2004
Found out eye3 works on
2 on DVI
1 on DisplayPort with ACTIVE DisplayPort -> DVI adapter or any DisplayPort -> VGA .

Which one is the center one?

Last edited:

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
Ok so I bought an StarTech display port to DVI video adapater.

I have one dvi monitor a 20 inch Samsung Syncmaster 204B. It's an odd size (20.1 I think) and two 17 inch vga screens (a dell and an LG FLATRON L1730S) All three monitors can be pushed to 1600x1200, but 1280 by 1040 is the 17 inch native resolution.

I have eyefintiy workign liek this, the dvi monitor, plug via the adaptor into the display port and the vga monitors plug via adapters into the two dvi ports.

CCC see's all three display's (though it thinks the 2 17 inch tft screens are crt's and nothing I do seem to fix that. I installed a driver for the LG one and windows then insisted that it was a widescreen display when it isn't and would only give it widescreen resolutions.. sigh) However when I try to duplicate onto the third CCC tells me I must disable one of the others.

If I connect a vga, to the display port (via two convertors) the system can not see it.

So two questions, Am I failing to set up 3x1 because my Radeon HD 5770 will only support eyefinity in 2 screens or cos I was dumb and haven't got an ACTIVE converter? To be fair ebuyer wasn't describing any but a StarTech, 3 dvi to one displayport £150, device as active.

Any advice?

I probably should have got a display port to vga convertor but I hoped one day to have 3 dvi monitors.

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
What is the exact brand/model of the card, so we can take a look?
If I connect a vga, to the display port (via two convertors) the system can not see it.
The DP to DVI adapter is only passing on a digital signal. You're then plugging in a DVI-I to VGA adapter, which completes the physical connection but cannot do the voodoo to convert the digital signal to analog.

A single DP-->VGA adapter would work fine. (I'm using one in my config at home because like you, I needed a second analog output. Only one of my DVI ports was DVI-I; the other was DVI-D.)

Incidentally, with mismatched screen sizes/resolutions like that you might take a look at SoftTH instead of using Eyefinity. I find it looks nicer than trying to scale them all to the same resolution/aspect ratio.

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
Ok the card is a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1Gb DDR5 PCI-E. The box says it can do three monitors. DUAL DVI-I/HDMI/DP

The converter is a startech displayport to dvi video converter model dp2dvi2

What is the difference between DVI-I and DVI -D?

With my DVI montior on the displayport (as my converter may convert but can't do voodoo) and my dvi-I ports connected to DVI to VGA convertors and then to two 17 inch tft's. The CCC see's all three, but forces me to disable one whenever I try to duplicate the desktop on to the third which I think I have to do before I can create the group?

So I'm really confused as to why, I wish I'd got a displayport to vga as well... it's not like they are lots of money.

EDIT: Thank for the advice on softTH I'll take a look.

EDIT again: Startech.com say my adapter is passive!!! ARGH!

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just my $.02, but I imagine a 5770 will struggle with gaming in an Eyefinity configuration.

If you just want desktop space you should be fine.

MoridinUK

Jun 7, 2011
Just my $.02, but I imagine a 5770 will struggle with gaming in an Eyefinity configuration.

If you just want desktop space you should be fine.

I think you may be right, but heck I'd still like to try it! Maybe I'll crossfire in a second card... hehe

However, very odd things going on.

So we now know my converter isn't active. BUT it will let me eyefinity two monitors together. As the converter wasn't active I thought I'd put them both on the DVI outputs and do it that way. Of course I can't. When set up in a group the monitors duplicate and nothing more!!!

So despite being a passive converter it is doing something!

Also display port to VGA adaptors are they all 'active' or not? They all seem to be about the same price as as active display port to dvi. Not sure which to get now.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
You may no longer have that problem with your monitor reporting a wide-screen (throwing off the eyefinity setup) once you use an active adapter. but if you still do, there is a way to fix it that is pretty easy (using a couple utilities and a few mouse clicks to change how your computer sees the default resolutions of the monitor).

I'd suggest getting a displayport to DVI active adapter (should be around $30).
The reason is you'd have a bigger market to resell it later if you change setups. I think it would be slightly easier to resell compared to a displayport to VGA active adapter.

last time I checked, these types of adapters were just under $30 each, not much of a difference though the VGA-based adapters were slightly cheaper (probably due to less demand for those).

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
Ok the card is a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1Gb DDR5 PCI-E. The box says it can do three monitors. DUAL DVI-I/HDMI/DP
Well, yes that should work. (The "FLEX" model of 5770 only has 1xDVI-I and 1xDVI-D, and won't; you need two analog signals coming out.)

The converter is a startech displayport to dvi video converter model dp2dvi2
I don't have a lot of experience with DP-->DVI, to be honest. You may need an "active" adapter, but I'm not positive.

What is the difference between DVI-I and DVI -D?
DVI-I can carry either a digital or analog signal. DVI-D only carries digital. DVI-D connectors (should) have less pins/holes to avoid confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

With my DVI montior on the displayport (as my converter may convert but can't do voodoo) and my dvi-I ports connected to DVI to VGA convertors and then to two 17 inch tft's. The CCC see's all three, but forces me to disable one whenever I try to duplicate the desktop on to the third which I think I have to do before I can create the group?
I think I've reached the limit of my knowledge on this problem, so I'll bow out rather than give you misinformation. SoftTH may do (sort of) what you want, so long as CCC can see all three monitors. Sorry I couldn't be more help, and good luck!

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
I think you may be right, but heck I'd still like to try it! Maybe I'll crossfire in a second card... hehe

However, very odd things going on.

So we now know my converter isn't active. BUT it will let me eyefinity two monitors together. As the converter wasn't active I thought I'd put them both on the DVI outputs and do it that way. Of course I can't. When set up in a group the monitors duplicate and nothing more!!!

So despite being a passive converter it is doing something!

Also display port to VGA adaptors are they all 'active' or not? They all seem to be about the same price as as active display port to dvi. Not sure which to get now.

I ran Eyefinity on an overclocked 5770 for about a year, it'll still run games at lower settings in Eyefinity. I actually preferred BFBC2 at medium settings (no HBAO or AA) at Eyefinity over playing it on single monitor at high settings. The peripheral immersion brought much more to the game than bloom effects and anti-aliasing did for me.

DP->VGA adapters must include a chip to actively convert the DP signal to analog because DP has no pins set aside to pass through an analog VGA signal like DVI does. So all DP->VGA adapters are inherently active. I'd still get an active DP->DVI adapter though.

Karandar

Jan 17, 2008
Hi, I recently set up a 3 monitor eyefinity on a 6950 crossfire setup with 3 27" ve278q Asus monitors. Not as simple as I figured.

2 I connected with the DVI cables. 1 I connected via dp-mini-to dp-full size cable I purchsed.
This will work provided I NEVER turn off the DP connected monitor. If I do, when I reboot, I must unplug the power, then unplug the dp cable. Replug the power, reattach the dp cable. Then the 'puter sees the monitor again. Grrr....

The only fix? I purchased an "active" dvi-dp adapter. The Passive adapters will rarely work. I did extensive forum trolling to confirm this after my problems.
It sucks, but it does work. If you don't go over 1920 x 1080, you can opt for a cheaper option as I did.
Google the Accell B087B-006B adapter(DVI to minidp) - It uses power from the DP plugin from your card. It is a single link option(that's what limits the res to 1920x1080) - as will be your monitors.
It is short -about 6"//15cm you will need a normal dvi cable like you use with your monitors now.
You plug the dvi cable into your monitor and this adapter, then this adapter to your video card. For me, it worked - they are like 30.00.
I can now power my monitor on//off as I want

The nice thing to remember once you get set up is download the latest catalyst. It has an eyefinity section that allows profiles to be set up. I have 4.

1 for just the single center monitor -simple web browsing and such.

1 for all 3 displays separate at 1920 x 1080 -great for office apps/browsing at the same time etc

1 for 3 screen eyefinity goodness. 5760x1080 with the peripheral vision is incredible. - I'll never go back! I only wish there were affordable monitor options for 1920x1200 resolutions.

1 for my plasma - I ran a 50' Hdmi from the card and grabbed an extra wireless keyboard and mouse for my living room. Works very well. Be sure to get a wireless with good range though.

Set them all up with the Alt & F9. Alt & F10 etc... The flexibility is nice, and why burn more power than we need eh?

Hope that helps, and good luck with your set up!

Kar

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
^ Is there a practical difference between your 3x 1920x1080 profile and the 5760x1080 profile? For example, do you have a difference orientation, or are both aligned the same?

BTW, I hope you mean "trawled", & not "trolled", because trolling isn't welcome on these forums :)

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Hi, I recently set up a 3 monitor eyefinity on a 6950 crossfire setup with 3 27" ve278q Asus monitors. Not as simple as I figured.

2 I connected with the DVI cables. 1 I connected via dp-mini-to dp-full size cable I purchsed.
This will work provided I NEVER turn off the DP connected monitor. If I do, when I reboot, I must unplug the power, then unplug the dp cable. Replug the power, reattach the dp cable. Then the 'puter sees the monitor again. Grrr....

One thing is, if you bought your DisplayPort cable from Monoprice it may not be built properly. It is apparently missing 1 ground wire. I had weird issues when I was using one and often had to replug the monitor several times to get it working again. After googling it a bit found out about the issue. No idea if they ever updated their DP cables.

betasub said:
^ Is there a practical difference between your 3x 1920x1080 profile and the 5760x1080 profile? For example, do you have a difference orientation, or are both aligned the same?

In 3x 1920x1080 extended desktop mode each monitor is its own desktop so you can maximize window on each and the taskbar doesn't stretch across all 3. You also choose a primary monitor for the taskbar/start menu to be on (and can use UltraMon for individual taskbars for each monitor). You can also just turn off a monitor when you want and nothing weird happens.

In 5760x1080 it's treated as one giant monitor so you have to watch movies in a window instead of full screen, the start menu is always on the far left monitor and the icon tray on the far right. Also if you want to turn off 1 monitor to save some power/heat the desktop layout will either freak out trying to figure out what arrangement it's suppose to be in, or worse stay in 5760x1080 and leave part of your desktop inaccessible.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
In 3x 1920x1080 extended desktop mode each monitor is its own desktop so you can maximize window on each and the taskbar doesn't stretch across all 3. You also choose a primary monitor for the taskbar/start menu to be on (and can use UltraMon for individual taskbars for each monitor). You can also just turn off a monitor when you want and nothing weird happens.

In 5760x1080 it's treated as one giant monitor so you have to watch movies in a window instead of full screen, the start menu is always on the far left monitor and the icon tray on the far right. Also if you want to turn off 1 monitor to save some power/heat the desktop layout will either freak out trying to figure out what arrangement it's suppose to be in, or worse stay in 5760x1080 and leave part of your desktop inaccessible.

Thanks for this explanation. Now I understand it does make sense to have the two as different profiles. Some of the featuers are covered by Samsung's MultiScreen app that I use, allowing me to stay with the profile with Eyefinity resolution, while still having different monitors (and even sub-divisions) selectable for "maximised" windows.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Thanks for this explanation. Now I understand it does make sense to have the two as different profiles. Some of the featuers are covered by Samsung's MultiScreen app that I use, allowing me to stay with the profile with Eyefinity resolution, while still having different monitors (and even sub-divisions) selectable for "maximised" windows.

I haven't heard of Samsung's MultiScreen app I might try that out. ATI does give you HydraVision which lets you set up grids and such for maximizing windows but doesn't address the other issues so I don't bother with it, because the biggest annoyance for me is the Start Menu/task bar starting on the far left.. also one other reason I use both profiles is that I sometimes just want to game on one monitor and movie/web browse on others, and I prefer the game in "windowed full screen" mode for that.

Last edited: