Eyefinity performance testing on ATI 5870

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: toyota
This just looks like it could be a nightmare to deal with in many games.
Most of the problems are from developer's not setting proper FOV settings. Heck I run into the problem even with my 16/9 monitor.

FarCry 2 is one of those titles that was complain about.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=80&threadid=2239982

Eyefinity is not for me ( for cost reasons ), but it's just one more reason for developers to reconsider putting proper a FOV support in their titles.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
This just looks like it could be a nightmare to deal with in many games.
Most of the problems are from developer's not setting proper FOV settings. Heck I run into the problem even with my 16/9 monitor.

FarCry 2 is one of those titles that was complain about.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=80&threadid=2239982

Eyefinity for me for cost reasons, but it's just one more reason for developers to reconsider putting proper a FOV support in their titles.

yeah but the Far Cry 2 issue just like the Bioshock issue was fixed with a game patch.

what they are running into are games really zooming in, among other issues. also that fish eye look in Batman would drive me bonkers.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

what they are running into are games really zooming in, among other issues. also that fish eye look in Batman would drive me bonkers.

Were those videos the tests run at 7680x1600?

Aren't those triple ~22-24" monitors in the videos? If so how do we know they aren't also running non-native resolution?

I agree with you though......those images do look big and zoomed in (aka "low resolution")

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yeah but the Far Cry 2 issue just like the Bioshock issue was fixed with a game patch.

Again the developers fault!

Here's a fix for batman.
http://www.widescreengamingfor.../viewtopic.php?t=16563

well in a way thats good but at the same time time that means problems from the developers as well as ATI. I personally wouldnt want to worry about how every game I play would work with this monitor setup.

Forumpanda

Apr 8, 2009

Again the developers fault!

Here's a fix for batman.
http://www.widescreengamingfor.../viewtopic.php?t=16563

well in a way thats good but at the same time time that means problems from the developers as well as ATI. I personally wouldnt want to worry about how every game I play would work with this monitor setup.
I think its just like when wide-screen monitors started to become common, at first not all games worked that well with them, over time it just became standard procedure to make sure games worked in wide-screen and non wide-screen resolution.

I see pretty much the same trend here in multi-monitor gaming, right now it works in some games, kinda buggy in others and doesn't work in some, but from now/next year I would expect most game developers to take multi-monitor gaming into account when coding the engine/interface.
The amount of dev time required to support it is very minimal (making sure GUI is on the correct monitor etc.)

I think in a bit of time it will be the exception that a game works poorly on multiple monitors, but we will see, I could be wrong.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I wouldn't expect eyefinity to work any better than SoftTH does wrt to game compatibility, as it's not really doing anything special than presenting a single display to the game. Kegetys has already said that he will look into making a "SoftTH Lite" for eyefinity users that doesn't handle the dsplay splitting stuff and just gives the you the compatibility tweaks his program offers (i.e. forcing FOV, squashing interfaces to the middle monitor).

With one of the IHVs pushing this tech, we will likely at least get developers to be aware of arbitrary aspect ratios when they release new games. They don't have to do to much really, just not hardcode the supported aspect ratios and maybe keep the interface at a fixed aspect ration.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Annoys me that all these reviewers get so carried away with their new toy they just gloss over problems, such as fish eye effect (which pcper reviewer called "emulating his peripheral vision" lol). Then there's the fact that bezels aren't accounted for, angle of side monitors aren't accounted for (look at any game with a straight object going from one monitor to the next and watch it "bend"), stuff seems to get closer to you if you rotate (so it looks much father away in centre monitor then when it's on side monitors), hud in the wrong place (e.g. often ammo/health on the far right of the right monitor), for normal windows work you want to use dual view, not stretch (or you end up with a 3 screen wide task bar, maximising some window maxing across all 3 screens not one, etc) eye infinity currently forces you to use stretch. All these things are just wrong.

These reviewers are the same guys that normally tell you how much better something is when you can use some barely noticeable improvement in AA/AF, yet now all of a sudden they don't seem to be able to spot glaring visual defects. Kind of says a lot about the reviewers - show them something new and shiny and they go blind.

I like 3 monitor gaming, but to work correctly it needs a load more effort put it. That is much more likely to happen if people point out the problems.