Eyefinity: 3x 24 inch or 1 30 inch with 2 20inch

Wall7486

Sep 29, 2004
I have always wanted a multi-monitor set up and after reading the Eyefinity reviews I am sold, since I am due for a video card upgrade soon. I am stuck between

Option A: 3 24in. monitors
Option B: 1 30in. with 2 20in. (being placed vertical)

While option A has more horizontal view I just think I will be turning my neck more? I think option B will imitate peripheral vision the most? I will mostly be playing FPS, throw in a bit of racing and RPG games. Thank you for any inputs.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
the 3 24's will look better IMHO. But the the other setup would be sweet too. The 3 24's will have a wider look , while the 30 with 2x20's will be taller

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I'd go with option B assuming that:

You can get the 20's to match height of the 30 incher exactly.
You can get the 20's to match the image quality of the 30 almost exactly.
The input lag and ghosting on the 20's isn't too different from the 30 to be distracting.

If you can meet all of those criteria (good luck) then option B is the way to go. The single 30 is where you'll be focusing most of your attention, and the increase in size will do you good.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Doesn't Eyefinity require 3x same resolution? At least for gaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Qbah
Doesn't Eyefinity require 3x same resolution? At least for gaming.

Well, that sucks. I have a 26" 1920x1200, which I would use as the primary (center) display, and was thinking about getting a couple of 22" 1920x1080 displays for the wrap-around, but if that's not supported I guess I'll have to scratch that.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Wall7486
I have always wanted a multi-monitor set up and after reading the Eyefinity reviews I am sold, since I am due for a video card upgrade soon. I am stuck between

While option A has more horizontal view I just think I will be turning my neck more? I think option B will imitate peripheral vision the most? I will mostly be playing FPS, throw in a bit of racing and RPG games. Thank you for any inputs.

You really shouldn't have to worry about turning your head that much, the expansion of screen size with flanking monitors will act mostly as an extension to your FOV, your focus will remain largely on the central screen while the side monitors will be processed by your peripheral vision.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
3x widescreen is just way too wide, you're talking about a display setup that is essentially six feet wide and only a foot tall. That's utterly useless unless you do nothing but game.

The 20/30/20 setup is a much more usable aspect ratio, and produces a display setup that is both larger in area (albeit marginally) and higher pixel count (~7MP vs ~8MP)

I was willing to give ATI another shot for eyefinity but I am not going to ditch my investment in monitors & triple display stand just to try it.

Viper GTS

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
3x widescreen is just way too wide, you're talking about a display setup that is essentially six feet wide and only a foot tall. That's utterly useless unless you do nothing but game.

The 20/30/20 setup is a much more usable aspect ratio, and produces a display setup that is both larger in area (albeit marginally) and higher pixel count (~7MP vs ~8MP)

I was willing to give ATI another shot for eyefinity but I am not going to ditch my investment in monitors & triple display stand just to try it.

Viper GTS

That is unless you pivot the monitors:)

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007

I've run a 3x 24 monitor rig for CAD work without issue. You get used to it.

I was thinking that the eyefinity rig with 3x 24" displays would be cool with the LCDs in portrait view - 3600 x 1920 ? Sounds pretty nice. I don't know that it's supported...

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
It's really too bad option A isn't allowed, as that's drastically superior to B in every way, not just for Eyefinity.

Obviously if Eyefinity is your main goal, not desktop productivity or just gaming on one gloriously awesome 30", then 3x24" is the route you'd need to choose.

I personally would rather have 30" + 2x 1200x1600 20" though, & just use the 30" for games myself...

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: sgrinavi

I've run a 3x 24 monitor rig for CAD work without issue. You get used to it.

I was thinking that the eyefinity rig with 3x 24" displays would be cool with the LCDs in portrait view - 3600 x 1920 ? Sounds pretty nice. I don't know that it's supported...

Thats what I ment by pivot...... look around halfway through the video......

http://www.hardocp.com/article...nity_technology_review

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I cant wait to see someone get crazy and create their own mega theater screen with 6 projectors in a 3 column x 2 row setup. Creating one's own mini omnimax for gaming would be amazing...

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

Is there a triple monitor stand that can work with option B?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

Which reviews have you been reading? Can you post the links?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
I cant wait to see someone get crazy and create their own mega theater screen with 6 projectors in a 3 column x 2 row setup. Creating one's own mini omnimax for gaming would be amazing...

You know I was thinking about that sometime down the road, if you see the price of 1080P projectors right now by next year they will be downright cheap!

My wife is very understanding but that would be too far, it would be like her buying a fur coat and in paris because it was on sale....wait she did that...