Eye prescription only good for 1 year???

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What the hell is this? I call Walmart to try and get a refill on my contact lenses; they tell me my prescription is expired, and that they are only good for 1 year. So what, I am now forced to get an eye exam every year? Either that or buy a 5 year supply of contact lenses. :|

(i've only been wearing contact lenses for 2 years. can't remember having this problem with eyeglasses)

memo

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2000
they do this to make more money, but it may be beneficial if they do tests for glaucoma and cataracts and stuff. they'll tell you it'll benefit you, but they really like the money.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: memo
they do this to make more money, but it may be beneficial if they do tests for glaucoma and cataracts and stuff. they'll tell you it'll benefit you, but they really like the money.
Well said.
Also, there are lots of online lens retailers that just ask for your prescription and don't check the expiration date....

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That's why they have been putting in eye exam docs in all the Walmarts. "Oh, we're sorry your perscription is outdated, but for $99 our in house doctor will have you an updated one in 20 minutes".

:)

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In my Family diabetes is a problem so i get my eyes checked every year.

Sysadmin

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
glasses is 2 years i believe

if there is an america's best by you they have unlimted eye exams for 3 years for $99 and for 5 years is like $149 good deal if you can't get it through insurance

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
eye glass scripts are good for two years... contact lense scripts have always had a one year expiration...

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I guess it varies from state to state since contact lens prescriptions are valid for two years in Florida and glasses prescriptioons for 5 years. We wouldn't want all those Cadillac-driving older folks actually to be able to see, now would we? ;)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Did you bother to check what the regulations regarding the practice of optometry in you state are before you decided to complain about Walmart?

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
A year between exams works for me... especially if your family has a history of sight problems.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Did you bother to check what the regulations regarding the practice of optometry in you state are before you decided to complain about Walmart?

no, because i'm not complaining about Walmart. :roll:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

no, because i'm not complaining about Walmart. :roll:

Well my error then. I see many complaining about this being a money issue, when it is most likely state regulations and therefore not the fault of any optometrist.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
mine didnt expire in 1 year

my insurance only pays for an eye exam every 2 years so i get them done every 2 years

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Diabetes is the number one cause of blindness in the US.

"The most threatening effects of diabetes on the eye is diabetic retinopathy. The damage to blood vessels by diabetes can leave some of the retina with insufficient oxygen and other essential nutrients. The deficient areas do not see well. A tight string on your finger cuts off the blood supply and makes the tip turn blue and get numb. If this happens in the retina it doesn't get numb but instead it doesn?t see well. "

Even people with controlled diabetes can get retinopathy. My husband has type 2 diabetes and had a grandmother who died from diabetic complications and 2 aunts who went blind. Believe me, he gets checked yearly!

MalikChen

Jan 5, 2004
Can you get the contacts online or over the phone w/out having to fax or mail your prescription?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
What the hell is this? I call Walmart to try and get a refill on my contact lenses; they tell me my prescription is expired, and that they are only good for 1 year. So what, I am now forced to get an eye exam every year? Either that or buy a 5 year supply of contact lenses. :|

(i've only been wearing contact lenses for 2 years. can't remember having this problem with eyeglasses)

all perscriptions are good for only one year max, some less.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MalikChen
Can you get the contacts online or over the phone w/out having to fax or mail your prescription?

I used to order from a place that didn't check prescriptions, but they started last year :( Most will call your optomotrist to confirm but I know of none that will sell them no questions asked. It sucks to find this out with two contacts left...

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
I work at a retail store, and I get complaints from people just like you guys....but here is the deal....

We are just like a pharmacy. We just follow what the doctor ordered.........if the doc wrote on the prescription "expires may 2005" or "one year from above date," there is nothing that us Opticians can do. It's state law actually(in my state, it is one year for everything unless stated).

What you can always do is call the doctor, and tell him your situation. If he likes it, he will always rewrite your script w/ a new date..

simple as that

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
my prescription changes between .25 and .75 every year (it gets worse) i think im on my way to matching my moms -8.25

time for lasik.

MIKE

elanarchist

Dec 8, 2001
bah, just another way for optometricists to make back their thousands in medical school loans... this is why i buy stuff like this overseas. the entire medical industry here is out of whack with medical care and prescription drugs costing many times what non-americans pay. *end rant*