[EXTREMETECH] Destiny 2 unplayable on Zen 2 CPU's

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Well you don't see this with every CPU launch:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ly-run-on-ryzen-3000-cpus-but-a-fix-is-coming

It will require a UEFI update to fix the problem. With other BIOS anomalies going on, and the shortage (high demand for sure) causing price gouging, I think 7/7 was a "Push it on that date or else!" rather than a "We'll sit on our butts and wait for the symbolic 7/7 to launch".

Also worth mentioning that this seems to affecting some Linux distros as well:

In this case, there may be an issue with how Rdrand instructions are being issued on AMD processors. According to Michael Larabel, there’s some evidence of Linux hiccups on the new AMD CPUs as well, and the new CPUs are having some issue booting certain Linux distributions.

AMD, great engineering, eternally poor marketing.

Last edited:

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
You just listed polar extremes for launch tactics. I would guess the reality is in the middle somewhere, but we must sensationalize everything around here, so well done.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In other news, Destiny 2 remains unplayable because it is Destiny 2. I KID!

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
You just listed polar extremes for launch tactics. I would guess the reality is in the middle somewhere, but we must sensationalize everything around here, so well done.

Well, yea, of course it could be in the middle. It just feels a bit rushed. If it was a new uarch on a new platform and a new node like Zen I wouldn't be surprised. But this is just an updated Zen, these types of things are supposed to go more smoothly. At least it's just a game and not something important.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
https://www.bit-tech.net/news/amd-resolves-destiny-2-linux-crashes-via-agesa-update/1/

It's curious that the problems are so limited, what makes them so 'special'.
Linux? you would think they already found that problem while testing Rome.

They did have a few instruction set changes. (but not anything major)
On the other hand if you want something really tested you release it to the pubic, ask MS.

It's never a luxury having a motherboard that allows to update the bios without CPU or Memory present.

Last edited:

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
https://www.bit-tech.net/news/amd-resolves-destiny-2-linux-crashes-via-agesa-update/1/

It's curious that the problems are so limited, what makes them so 'special'.
Linux? you would think they already found that problem while testing Rome.

They did have a few instruction set changes. (but not anything major)
On the other hand if you want something really tested you release it to the pubic, ask MS.

It's never a luxury having a motherboard that allows to update the bios without CPU or Memory present.
AMD does Linux testing with LTS which is working fine. 3000 series is having problems with systemd in latest version, patch/agesa update for which has been provided.

Reactions: lightmanek