extremely hot processor in idle condition

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
As you can see from the below image of my laptop in idle condition where no other program is currently running ( expect cleaner in background) still it's temp is raising till 90 C for no reason, how to avoid it,
Whats-App-Image-2019-04-20-at-10-25-20-PM.jpg

Laptop specs.
LAPCAC.jpg

LAPCPU.jpg
LAPGRAPHGIC.jpg
LAPGRAPHGIC.jpg
LAPM.jpg
LAPMAIN.jpg
LAPSPD.jpg
LAPSPD.jpg

I installed windows 10 32 bit.
LAPTOP NAME- lENOVO E4325

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
As you can see from the below image of my laptop in idle condition where no other program is currently running ( expect cleaner in background) still it's temp is raising till 90 C for no reason, how to avoid it,
Whats-App-Image-2019-04-20-at-10-25-20-PM.jpg

Laptop specs.
LAPCAC.jpg

LAPCPU.jpg
LAPGRAPHGIC.jpg
LAPGRAPHGIC.jpg
LAPM.jpg
LAPMAIN.jpg
LAPSPD.jpg
LAPSPD.jpg

I installed windows 10 32 bit.
LAPTOP NAME- lENOVO E4325
Check thermal compound. Your laptop cpu will be damaged due to this much high temperature.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Also, if its udle, it should not be running at 3 ghz, maybe the power profile is wrong, or a bios setting is wrong.

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
Also, if its udle, it should not be running at 3 ghz, maybe the power profile is wrong, or a bios setting is wrong.
I never messed with bios settings,if not bios settings then it should be power profile, is there any way to reset it to bring it back to normal.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Before anyone gets too involved in over heating bear in mind that is a Trinity APU.

That means it's temp senors are borked. There are other threads about this issue including my own thread about this problem.

The answer is: make sure the fan is working and that it is properly attached with correct thermal paste and just live with the fact that you will never get accurate temps. This includes laptops.

Reactions: Markfw

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Could be thermal paste bad, fans obstructed (is it dusty?) or not working at all. Also, be sure the laptop is sitting on a hard surface so air can circulate freely.

Look at your first screenshot though. It shows 65% load at idle. I would suspect some virus or other program is running in the background. Even if the power profile is set to high performance and keeping the frequency up, it should not cause 65% utilization. I would download CPUID HWMonitor. It will give you temperatures, frequency and load on each core.

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
Before anyone gets too involved in over heating bear in mind that is a Trinity APU.

That means it's temp senors are borked. There are other threads about this issue including my own thread about this problem.

The answer is: make sure the fan is working and that it is properly attached with correct thermal paste and just live with the fact that you will never get accurate temps. This includes laptops.

I just kept my ears near the Laptop i can very well hear the fans running.

Also in my opinion i think Windows 10 32 bit is too much for the laptop with 2gb ram to handle may be that would be the cause, so reinstalling with windows 7 or xp may fix it, please share your opinions.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I just kept my ears near the Laptop i can very well hear the fans running.

Also in my opinion i think Windows 10 32 bit is too much for the laptop with 2gb ram to handle may be that would be the cause, so reinstalling with windows 7 or xp may fix it, please share your opinions.
I would run win 7 on it if it only has 2GB of ram. Can you add more? 4GB would work great with win 7.

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
I would run win 7 on it if it only has 2GB of ram. Can you add more? 4GB would work great with win 7.
Actually before running into this heating issue i was planning to buy a 4Gb ram stick for this laptop, as even a right click would take alteast 10-12 seconds to respond, but after witnessing this heating problem i am quite doubtful about the longevity of this laptop and whether it would be worth to spend 1500-1900 rupees on this laptop for adding a 4gb.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Actually before running into this heating issue i was planning to buy a 4Gb ram stick for this laptop, as even a right click would take alteast 10-12 seconds to respond, but after witnessing this heating problem i am quite doubtful about the longevity of this laptop and whether it would be worth to spend 1500-1900 rupees on this laptop for adding a 4gb.
Here is a good question to answer: does the laptop itself get too hot to the touch? Is there too much heat being blown out by the fan?

If the answers are no then I would upgrade the ram. Does it currently have 2 ram modules or just 1? Buying a 4GB module would make 6GB and that would be great.

AMD USER

Sep 17, 2018
Here is a good question to answer: does the laptop itself get too hot to the touch? Is there too much heat being blown out by the fan?
yeah it is too hot near the side , it definitely blows a lot of hot air out.
If the answers are no then I would upgrade the ram.
I think it is mostly yes
Does it currently have 2 ram modules or just 1? Buying a 4GB module would make 6GB and that would be great.
For a very long time i am confused with this 2 slot or just a single slot, i once dissambled it just out of curisotuy to check whether if it had two slot but found just a single slot, but according to the PDF manuel it has two slot, other slot is embedded or something like that, but i justfound a single slot where the was 2gb RAM was present, so if I want to intall a 4gb ram i sould be removing the already present 2gb and i install the 4gb, then 2gb has to be kept aside, can't mixed with the new 4gb.

Reactions: In2Photos

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

I think it is mostly yes

For a very long time i am confused with this 2 slot or just a single slot, i once dissambled it just out of curisotuy to check whether if it had two slot but found just a single slot, but according to the PDF manuel it has two slot, other slot is embedded or something like that, but i justfound a single slot where the was 2gb RAM was present, so if I want to intall a 4gb ram i sould be removing the already present 2gb and i install the 4gb, then 2gb has to be kept aside, can't mixed with the new 4gb.
I would do a complete disassembly and clean out the fan area and re-apply the thermal paste and then re-assemble the laptop. That should ensure it runs at a normal temp.

That is what I do with any used laptop I buy or service.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

If the answers are no then I would upgrade the ram. Does it currently have 2 ram modules or just 1? Buying a 4GB module would make 6GB and that would be great.

6 Gigabytes isn't optimal. You want two matched sticks either 2x2 or preferably 2x4 would be ideal for it to run dual channel.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

I think it is mostly yes

Maybe the laptop has two gigabytes soldered to the board? Looking at the documentation will tell you. That would be rare these days. Most laptops of recent vintage will have two slots stacked together.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hopefully it just needs a good dust bunny cleaning and TIM replacement.

I would add another ram stick as well.

As far as the 4gb module goes, I am not sure if AMD supports a mode similar to Intel's Flex Mode, which allows different sized memory modules to run in Dual Channel mode.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
62% usage is not idle!

well, I can only think of the cooler not working properly as a cause for this, either the fan is not working, there is an absurd amount of dust or the base of the heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU

Reactions: Markfw

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
The heatsink/pipe on that laptop is on the smaller side. So good chance it will always run on the warm side. The CPU is a AMD A4-4300m. That is a 32nm dual core 35watt CPU. So between the wattage rating and the heatsink it will always run warm.

Here is someone taking the computer apart.

As you can see it only has 1 memory slot. So it can't support dual channel memory. So 4gig, or 8, would help but so would a SSD drive.

Update the BIOS and AMD system drivers. See if that helps any.

lenjack

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
When looking for memory slots, did you disassemble top AND bottom? I was looking for a 2nd slot on a Dell yrs ago, and it turned out, there was 1 slot on the top of the board, and another 1 on the bottom of the board.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
This is why I don't like AMD chips in laptops - AMD chips run hotter than Intels (for the most part) and are more succeptible to heat damage. Add to that the manufacturers that put heatsinks/heatpipes that are barely adequate and sure you will run into situations like this.

As far as your issue, the slow right-click could be your CPU but it's probably RAM. You need at least 4 GB for Win 10. For now, turn off all visual effects and see if the issue improves.

Also, what is your "cleaner in background"? Those can definitely slow things down.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
This is why I don't like AMD chips in laptops - AMD chips run hotter than Intels (for the most part) and are more succeptible to heat damage. Add to that the manufacturers that put heatsinks/heatpipes that are barely adequate and sure you will run into situations like this.

As far as your issue, the slow right-click could be your CPU but it's probably RAM. You need at least 4 GB for Win 10. For now, turn off all visual effects and see if the issue improves.

Also, what is your "cleaner in background"? Those can definitely slow things down.
That may be true for older AMD chips, but the new Ryzens are MUCH cooler and faster.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
That may be true for older AMD chips, but the new Ryzens are MUCH cooler and faster.
I hope that is true, however the OP's Piledeiver (Buldozer) chip was before AMD even hinted that they could do such a thing.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I hope that is true, however the OP's Piledeiver (Buldozer) chip was before AMD even hinted that they could do such a thing.
Its not hope, check the benchmarks and stats, its a new world for AMD since 2017

Reactions: VirtualLarry