Question extremely efficient but lower power power supply?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I am putting together a new system. It's already pretty efficient, with a Ryzen 5 5600G processor.
However, I also realize that there are different efficiencies from a power supply perspective. I remember
ages ago, there were gold, silver and other colors that supposedly gave an indication of power efficiency.
I obviously don't need a high powered one, because I tend to go with built in graphics, or limit myself to video
cards that use 70 Watts or under.

Is there a more modern way to evaluate efficiency of power supplies, other than silver/gold type ratings?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
How much extra are you willing to pay, to shave very little off the power bill? The first one igor linked, no way would I pay $123 for a system probably peaking under 150W or up to 200W with the sub-70W video card, unless there's a chance you might want a high power gaming video card in the future.

The efficiency differences running in this 150W range (typical/avg. idle power under 100W) are not much, very few watts difference, maybe $4/year (or less) difference on the power bill. I pulled that "4" out of thin air, you can do vast research and math and testing with multiple PSU if you like, since each system and use scenario is a little different.

No, there is no more modern way, other than shooting for something higher than bronze like gold or platinum (which in this case, IMO is overkill), or looking at reviews to see each PSU's efficiency at this low ~100W-150W load range. At the same time, a higher tier PSU could be expected to give you more years of lifespan even at a lower load, and there is the warranty length increase if that matters to you.

I'm just suggesting that if the build isn't using expensive components and doesn't use a lot of amps, something like a $54 600W Thermaltake GX2 Gold should be fine, otherwise wait for some sale/deal as PSU prices are still pretty high right now, some models that were on sale around $60 2-3 years ago are up around $120 now:

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Dang, I just found a spare power supply up on the shelf in the basement when I filed away some paperwork last night. It must have been from a sale 2-3 years ago, because I had completely forgotten about it. I'll have to look up the specs later after work.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Go ahead and use it, would take several years (if ever) for something more efficient to pay for itself in power bill savings, unless what you bought and found last night, was an ancient group regulated, generic unit.

Then again I like to always have a spare PSU on hand, so if that's your only spare, I'd buy another PSU anyway, with high enough specs that it could handle *any* other system I have running.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Then again I like to always have a spare PSU on hand, so if that's your only spare, I'd buy another PSU anyway, with high enough specs that it could handle *any* other system I have running.
Same. I had an EVGA 650W that would have covered all the other systems in the house, but I just bought an 850W for my new build.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Back when refurb Corsair RM650x units were $55-60 each I stocked up on them for DC rigs.
1674925586762.png

Still have several running to this day, >5 years later. They are closer to Platinum tier efficiency at the loads I run them at which is nice for 1) less wasted power and waste heat and 2) quiet operation.

Any quality Gold or higher rated PSU should do the trick. I tend to overrate my builds by matching PSUs to about 2x the expected load at 100% CPU + 100% GPU(s) load. That way it runs in optimal efficiency range. Obviously most rigs will not be running 50% or higher rated capacity 24/7, so YMMV.

Some of my older eVGA G2 units are approaching 10 years. Bought them back when you could get 1000W PSUs for around $99 AR. My main rig uses a eVGA P2 unit.

As with any electronic part they will eventually wear out (most likely: capacitors). But by selecting for a quality unit your PSU is likely to outlast your PC itself.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I have at least 3 old ATX power supplies that I pulled from working systems, which I have no intention of ever using on a new build. However, I did buy a couple of adapters that allow you to use them to act as a DC power supply for projects like splitting the hydrogen off of water. (add a bit of salt, and use titanium electrodes) I'm tempted to do something like this to fill up a small hydrogen balloon.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
People are making way too big of a deal about power supplies these days. I used to say that bronze was enough but then they started running deals on gold PSU's. So I have all gold rated PSU's. If you are going to run high end graphics cards, a 850w gold rated card should be more than enough. For those who get the 1000w+ PSU's for exotic builds, you don't need my advice or opinion.

I would say a gold rated power supply between 650-750w is all most builds would ever need or require. Going for ultra efficiency is a waste of time and money.

Most of those of us who have been building computers for 20 years or more know the crap power supplies we all used. They worked and I cannot think of a power supply ever failing on me. I know people have had junk power supplies fail on them.

The greatest advancement in computers over the last decade or more has been cooling, cases (great quality today), CPU's and their reliability and quality. Power supplies are a distant 4th in my opinion. The fully modular power supply was the biggest improvement.

Lastly, people would buy a brand new case and they always came with junk/functional power supplies. This lasted from the 90's and first decade of the 2000's. I used them myself. The only time I would buy a new power supply was when I needed more power. The higher end cases always had 500w+ power supplies included.

Reactions: Channeledbymodem