Extreme way of trying to get rid of coil whine on a reference MSI GTX 670!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Bro you do know they inspect the PCB when you RMA right? D:

That is not always the case. Anyway, I'm not RMA'ing this one. It was bought through my firm, so got it without taxes. And didn't pay for it myself.

However, the two ASUS cards I've ordered, those I pay myself, and with full taxes. They will be treated with pure love :wub:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
lol, this is why I do not buy used or even open box components. o_O

I'm 0 for 3 on open box GPUs at newegg. Never again. At least they don't give me gaff about returning them on their dime.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
at 80 FPS with no vsync, with a 60 Hz refresh, you're going to have 1/3 of your frames torn, btw.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
at 80 FPS with no vsync, with a 60 Hz refresh, you're going to have 1/3 of your frames torn, btw.

Does not work that way for me. When closing downwards to 60fps with V-sync off I get tearing and lag. Even if I have a 60Hz monitor.

Works best for me If I stay 80 + without V-Sync. Vsync is fine as long as it stays at around 60. However, one will always have input lag, and it does not feel quite as fluid and fast as with V-Sync Off and high FPS levels.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
What is up with the coil whine of the latest and the greatest offerings from AMD and NV? It's putting me off from upgrading.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
What is up with the coil whine of the latest and the greatest offerings from AMD and NV? It's putting me off from upgrading.
seems the norm for the 7970 but quite rare for the 680/670. I dont hear a thing out of my gtx670. my gtx570 had a very faint buzz during super high framerates but I had to stick my head close to the case to hear it.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
I have the Asus non-TOP 670, and it does have a little bit of coil whine. It's not noticeable in, for example, the Heaven benchmark, but when you get to the end of the benchmark it is audible at the credit screen (which I assume is being drawn at hundreds of FPS).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you can always just use a framerate limit which would cut out most of it plus keep the card from running needlessly too fast and hot in some menus.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
In my latest desperate effort to get rid of the Coil whine I hot glued the coils. Covering them in hotglue.

Stupid me... The glue began melting because of the heat generated by the coils. And it did not get rid of the coil whine at all. But the worst thing was removing the glue afterwards.. It took hours.. The nail polisher I had used before worked as a primer for the glue... When I finally came to the bottom, after hours and hours of picking and struggling, it did work using some alcohol to loosen the remaining glue.

I really have no words for how stupid I feel after all of this. And as to why I do things like this, I really don't know what to say... I'm lost for words and I am really ashamed at myself and what I have done.

The card still works just fine though :) But I've finally learned my lesson, at least I think..

A few pictures from my mad, almost frantic effort last night...

qs2tl1.jpg

10wp8k5.jpg

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
So not worth it! RMA that sucker and get a different brand. Framerate limiters isn't an acceptable solution to me so, there are plenty of other cards that don't have this issue.....just go for peace of mind with a different card (maybe a 680, I haven't heard coil whine on any that i've used)

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Pardon my noobishness, but is this something we as a consumer have moderate control over? I know sometimes there are variations with even identical cards, but on a whole are the overclocking oriented robustified-power-circuitry cards less susceptible to this?

I'm fortunate my 4890 has shut up in recent times, but I do remember it screaming when I first got it. Drove me absolutely crazy.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I feel for you, but I bet if you'd asked us all if this was a good idea, we would have talked you out of it!

I too am very sensitive to noise. That's why I'm dissatisfied with the sound of the 670 reference cooler, and just about every stock case or cpu fan I've ever heard. I actually don't mind my reference 460, actually, and that's why I was particularly surprised about the 670.

LV3

Nov 30, 2011
I don't have the guts or the money to throw around to do these sorts of things to my components. D:

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
Update:

Have a fairly hot day in the North of Norway today... Window in my computer room is closed, so I discovered something here... My GPU temps are of course much higher now, because of the change in ambient temps.... And GPU is now climbing towards 50c + in games like the withcer 2 and Two Worlds II.. The card became much more, silent, less coil whine when reaching 50c +...

So I tried changing the fanprofile in order to warm the card even more... when closing in to 60c the coil whine was barely noticable anymore... VRM heatsinks also became burning hot... So it seems when the card runs hotter the coil whine is lesser.. Turbo Boost remained at 1238MHz (My overclocked setting) all the way..

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
In my latest desperate effort to get rid of the Coil whine I hot glued the coils. Covering them in hotglue.

Stupid me... The glue began melting because of the heat generated by the coils. And it did not get rid of the coil whine at all. But the worst thing was removing the glue afterwards.. It took hours.. The nail polisher I had used before worked as a primer for the glue... When I finally came to the bottom, after hours and hours of picking and struggling, it did work using some alcohol to loosen the remaining glue.

I really have no words for how stupid I feel after all of this. And as to why I do things like this, I really don't know what to say... I'm lost for words and I am really ashamed at myself and what I have done.

The card still works just fine though :) But I've finally learned my lesson, at least I think..

Dude, for the love of crumb cake, leave that poor card alone. Your lucky you haven't bricked it already.

There is basically nothing you can do to get rid of coil whine. Your best bet was an RMA. But given the way you have molested that card, thats no longer an option.