Question External storage device to boot an OS from

kyklops

Jan 6, 2022
Hello everyone,

I needed to change my 10 years old personal laptop. Then I received a new business laptop from the company I work for. So I thought about ditching the idea of a new personal laptop and buying an external drive to boot my personal OS from. This way I could save some money and luggage space when I travel.

I use both Ubuntu Linux and Win 10 in dual boot on my laptop, and I would replicate this setup on the external drive. I do not play games, video edit, or anything that demanding. I do encrypt my partitions though (BitLocker on Win, LUKS on Ubuntu).

Given this specific use case, different from “carrying files around”, what device would you suggest? Is there something specific I should look into? I was thinking about something along the lines of the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD.

The new business laptop is a Dell Latitude 5320, i7-1185G7 (11th Gen, 3.00GHz, 1805 Mhz), 16 GB RAM, with Thunderbolt 4.

Thanks for any advice!

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
My advice is forget it.[ EDIT WinToGo is no longer supported by Windows.]
Are u planning to advise the employer you are using its machine for personal purposes ? If no , then we cannot help you. If yes then just put your personal files on a USB drive to accompany you on trips. Damn, now I may be complicit .

Last edited:

kyklops

Jan 6, 2022
I don't think there is something wrong with the employer, the current system is fully encrypted so there is no risk of accessing sensitive corporate files from another OS, at least by accident. That said, I'm not admin on the current system, so I can't install software I need. That's why I was thinking at a different solution.