External Speakers for TV

hackmole

Dec 17, 2000
Every TV I have ever had with surround sound speakers coming out of the back STINKS Royal.
What I need is some kind of decent external speaker that you can place in the front of the TV. I don't need to have high booming bass just good quality sound coming at me instead of projecting to the back wall.
Surely someone has added such an addition to their TV set and can advise what I can get. Thank you.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
How much are you willing to spend? There are a several ways you can go, starting with soundbars, or a home theater in the box. The third way is to get a receiver and speakers, or you could go with separates, and get a surround sound processor and speakers. It's all about the budget though.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
going avr with 5.1 is gonna likely be best option under $1000
stereo avr with 2.0 setup can be done for like $300 with good quality sound (possibly down closer to $200 with cheaper reciever: Yamaha & Sony would be my favorite reciever makers. IMO Dennon and Onkyo have gone downhill)

If you just want to use regular analog audio output from the TV, you can get a $20-$30 T-amp and a pair of $50ish Dayton Audio speakers, and it will sound better than most sound bars at a fraction of the price. (Dayton Audio/Parts Express)

Edit: also, craigslist can be decent source of used electronics, but, high risk of getting ripped off with low end stuff being promoted or sold as high end stuff)