External GPU compatible?

chargersrool

Mar 6, 2016
I have a decent laptop - Lenovo Y510p with (2) Nvidia GT750m SLI 16gb ram and an i7 4770k processor.
With some new games releasing I would like to play them on my laptop with decent graphics so I decided to go with an external GPU route if I'm able to.

I'm trying to figure out which device i should purchase that would be compatible with my setup.
The bad part is the PCI slot is hard to access as I would have to remove the back plate of the laptop and then remove the wifi card... Although I do have an ultrabay - which looks like this.

Would using a usb to pci be a bad idea?

Also, I saw videos on how they plug the video cable into a tv... is there a way I can use my laptops screen instead?
Appreciate the help as this would probably save me some money rather than buying a whole new laptop.

Last edited:

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
What is it you're looking to do exactly. Expand monitor outputs, or increase gpu horsepower?

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I see. In that case though, I don't think that route is worth pursuing. While there are mPCI-E to PCI-E x16 adapters available, an eGPU would absolutely require an external display, not to mention the expense, complexity (sounds like you're fairly new with PC hardware) and limited performance benefit due to the PCI-E X1 interface normally used for wifi cards.

It's about as jury rigged as it gets short of duct tape and gum.

chargersrool

Mar 6, 2016
I see. In that case though, I don't think that route is worth pursuing. While there are mPCI-E to PCI-E x16 adapters available, an eGPU would absolutely require an external display, not to mention the expense, complexity (sounds like you're fairly new with PC hardware) and limited performance benefit due to the PCI-E X1 interface normally used for wifi cards.

It's about as jury rigged as it gets short of duct tape and gum.

I've seen egpu's used on the display on a laptop.
This route is probably the most effective route as I always have my laptop on me, and when I get home from a long day of work, I want to relax and play some decent games. I dont see the use of buying a whole new pc just so I can have better graphics. It might be a jury rigged system but with thunderbolt 3 when it releases, it will be an every day routine.