Exterior 'siding' choice?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I have this 'garage' about 20 deep x 40' wide and on one side there's a second floor. It's clad in clapboard and I'm sick of painting it.

There's some soft spots in the clapboard so what I'd really like to find is some kind of exterior sheathing that's structural and pre-finished which I can screw through into the studs. Bonus if it won't need maintenance every year and it would be nice if I don't have to use purlins to shim it out with.

Any suggestions?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I have this 'garage' about 20 deep x 40' wide and on one side there's a second floor. It's clad in clapboard and I'm sick of painting it.

There's some soft spots in the clapboard so what I'd really like to find is some kind of exterior sheathing that's structural and pre-finished which I can screw through into the studs. Bonus if it won't need maintenance every year and it would be nice if I don't have to use purlins to shim it out with.

Any suggestions?
Not sure what you mean by "clapboard" siding. I assume it's a regional name for wood siding. Purlins are generally a support member under rafters.
Vinyl is hard to beat if you live where water is a solid. In places with non-fatal weather conditions, Hardiplank is good choice, though it still requires paint every ten years or so. Stucco is another good choice in warmer climates.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
GenStone Stacked Stone Desert Sunrise 12 in. x 42 in. Faux Stone Siding Panel-G2SSDSHP - The Home Depot

If you still like wood panel, you should use water proofing stain/sealer instead of paint. Paint stay above the wood and will dry out and peel off, yet stain/sealer will penetrate the wood and last much longer.

There is even vinyl siding.

Thats interesting in that video he used cement board at the base, I was wondering about doing that.

Thanks, I was going to use vinyl siding, but like I said I’m more interested in using something more structural like a plywood.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Not sure what you mean by "clapboard" siding. I assume it's a regional name for wood siding. Purlins are generally a support member under rafters.
Vinyl is hard to beat if you live where water is a solid. In places with non-fatal weather conditions, Hardiplank is good choice, though it still requires paint every ten years or so. Stucco is another good choice in warmer climates.

Its that old wood siding with a beveled profile so it’s not a flat surface to nail against. That’s why I said purlins as I’d have to fur it out to create a flat surface for say vinyl siding.

Thanks I’ll check out the Hardiplank. I’m in the NE so we get a little bit of everything.

This is similar to what’s on the garage now:

Attachments

• BA7CF6DA-FD5E-43BA-8526-FD2410DEBC9D.jpeg
    BA7CF6DA-FD5E-43BA-8526-FD2410DEBC9D.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 21

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Going over that with anything is going to be expensive. I'd spend the money on a really good paint job and call it done.

Reactions: paperfist

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like real wood. Siding always looks cheap to me, No matter how new, how old, how expensive it was to put on, it looks cheap. It is practical though. Going along with what Greenman said, you can start over, work your ass off this time, and it'll go pretty quick the next time you have to do it. Strip it down to bare wood, apply a wood hardener to take care of the rotten sections, assuming they aren't too far gone(apply to the whole garage), then paint.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Going over that with anything is going to be expensive. I'd spend the money on a really good paint job and call it done.

I know, I'm hoping materials start to come down in price. lol wish I wasn't a procrastinator and had bought all this stuff a year ago :(

Anyway, still paint isn't going to solve the soft spot in the wood issue.

I like real wood. Siding always looks cheap to me, No matter how new, how old, how expensive it was to put on, it looks cheap. It is practical though. Going along with what Greenman said, you can start over, work your ass off this time, and it'll go pretty quick the next time you have to do it. Strip it down to bare wood, apply a wood hardener to take care of the rotten sections, assuming they aren't too far gone(apply to the whole garage), then paint.

I'm not afraid to work my ass off, but lol last time was quite a process to scrap and paint it. I'd really rather go over it with something else and be done with it.

I agree vinyl siding doesn't look great compared to wood. I'll have to think about this process more. Obviously the state of the cost of materials plays into this at this time.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You can never use plywood / particle board for any external stuff, even after painting.

Use real wood or Smart Side .

Smart Side vs Hardi

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
You can never use plywood / particle board for any external stuff, even after painting.

Use real wood or Smart Side .

Smart Side vs Hardi

The plywood was just to strengthen the exterior clapboard, then I'd go over it with vinyl siding or similar. Thus I was hoping there was something out now that was strong like plywood, but finished on the exterior.

I was all excited about Smart Side in your video till it came to paining lol and at 16' (not sure what the manufacturers recommendations are) if I could use them vertically I'd be able to knock out the whole garage in no time!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not professional. I'm just a house owner and I like watching home improvement videos.

Different opinion for different sidings.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For the first time ever, we own a house with vinyl siding. No, you don't have to paint it...but you CAN with the right prep work...but depending on your area, you might have to pressure wash it every year or two. My house is turning green...so, in a month or so, I'm gonna have to break out the "Outdoor Cleaner" and a brush to kill the green shit...then the pressure washer to get it all rinsed well...then probably follow it up with a moss/mold preventative. Gonna have to do the roof with Wet and Forget this year again too.
I'm not too sure I would ever buy another house with vinyl siding. It has it's plusses...and a lot of minuses. (rattles like mad in a heavy wind...I keep hoping it will blow off so I can get my insurance company to re-side my house. :p

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I know, I'm hoping materials start to come down in price. lol wish I wasn't a procrastinator and had bought all this stuff a year ago :(

Anyway, still paint isn't going to solve the soft spot in the wood issue.

I'm not afraid to work my ass off, but lol last time was quite a process to scrap and paint it. I'd really rather go over it with something else and be done with it.

I agree vinyl siding doesn't look great compared to wood. I'll have to think about this process more. Obviously the state of the cost of materials plays into this at this time.
Material has gone insane. Two years I was buying 1/2" OSB for twelve bucks a sheet, it's thirty seven now. 2x4 studs were two bucks and change, just paid near eight each for a couple hundred of them.
I've had to change my contracts to cover material increases.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Material has gone insane. Two years I was buying 1/2" OSB for twelve bucks a sheet, it's thirty seven now. 2x4 studs were two bucks and change, just paid near eight each for a couple hundred of them.
I've had to change my contracts to cover material increases.
Holy cow, I just priced PT plywood last week and its nearly double today. Guess i'll wait it out for this repair. This will all but kill new construction and put all contracting in a tough place.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Holy cow, I just priced PT plywood last week and its nearly double today. Guess i'll wait it out for this repair. This will all but kill new construction and put all contracting in a tough place.
It hasn't even slowed construction around here. The local lumber yard does a land office business.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We've been talking about fencing our back yard. Last year...$1300-$2000 was the normal range depending on type of fence and contractor. (one local guy started at $3100...:rolleyes: ) This year...$2500-$4000 depending on materials and contractor. Haven't even talked to the guy who was $3100 last year.
Probably going to build it myself. PT 4x4's and 2x4's and 6' wire mesh. Keep MOST of the deer and coyotes out, keep the doggies in.
I'm NOT looking forward to doing it myself...at my age and with my physical issues...it's gonna be painful.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
We've been talking about fencing our back yard. Last year...$1300-$2000 was the normal range depending on type of fence and contractor. (one local guy started at $3100...:rolleyes: ) This year...$2500-$4000 depending on materials and contractor. Haven't even talked to the guy who was $3100 last year.
Probably going to build it myself. PT 4x4's and 2x4's and 6' wire mesh. Keep MOST of the deer and coyotes out, keep the doggies in.
I'm NOT looking forward to doing it myself...at my age and with my physical issues...it's gonna be painful.
Two man gas auger (does not include extra man) may save your life. I've used one man augers in the past ( stubborn), never again.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Two man gas auger (does not include extra man) may save your life. I've used one man augers in the past ( stubborn), never again.

It's all sand...I have two of these in 4" and 8",

6220-4.jpg

They do great job...and are much easier (in this sand) than any other method...besides something like a tractor-mounted digger.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
It's all sand...I have two of these in 4" and 8",

6220-4.jpg

They do great job...and are much easier (in this sand) than any other method...besides something like a tractor-mounted digger.
I have used that and it does work great, but with an auger you can get 30 holes in a half day rental especially in sand.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My house was wood-type siding...maybe masonite from the 1970's. Around 2001, they put vinyl siding on it. I renovated in 2012/2013 and added on a "wing".... I was able to pull the old siding off, contact the manufacturer and match it. It saved me a ton of money and I was able to side the addition for maybe $1-2k in materials and it looks great. You get a starter strip, snap some lines and it goes prettty quick if you know where the studs are....just invest is some brand new snips and a good lightweight level.

I put cedar shakes on my boathouse and cabana. I'm going to be doing some more this Spring and I recommend them if you want the look. They're insect resistant and naturally fade to gray if you don't treat them.

I've used hardie board siding when I had a concrete/stucco house and needed to replace some exterior plywood siding next to an entryway. I found the hardie board siding to be fairly easy to cut and work with, but I only had one piece to manipulate. The dust is pretty nasty and it's definitely something to hire out.