Extension of peripherals

MIDIman

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I'm building a pro audio studio computer and need to get the computer out of the room. My client has asked to extend up to 20 feet with the mouse (USB), keyboard (PS/2), monitor, and printer port.

Any limitations? Quality or brand name considerations?

Onvia.com seems to have almost everything in stock, and free shipping, so for each item I was going to get 10 foot cables *2, by Belkin, of each of the above. Total came to something like $50!

Thx.

Horsepower

Oct 9, 1999
Here is something from usb.org that may help:
Q3: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
A3: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.

Q4: How far away from a PC can I put a USB device?
A4: With the maximum of 5 hubs connected with 5m cables and a 5m cable going to your full speed device, this will give you 30m of cable (see section 7.1.19 for details). With a low speed device, you will be able to get a range up to 27m, depending on how long the device's cable is. With a straightforward cable route, you will probably be able to reach out 25m or so from the PC.
Hope it helps :)