Exteel = Moderately fun!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I am pleasantly surprised by Exteel. I'm a PlayNC fan, but this one seems to make up for a few mistakes (AutoAssault maybe?).

http://www.exteel.com/us/

Basically take FPS, add the element of "advancing" your character, put it online, and make it free. I really and truly can't complain!

Well I can... it uses GameGuard, which apparently behaves much the same as a rootkit. :(

Oh well, it's a fun time waster, and you can't beat the price!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
so can you upgrade your mech without paying or do you have to pay?
is it like that other plaync game thats a rip-off of diablo and wow and free, but you have to pay monthly to use the good items or your character sucks major monkey balls?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
so can you upgrade your mech without paying or do you have to pay?
is it like that other plaync game thats a rip-off of diablo and wow and free, but you have to pay monthly to use the good items or your character sucks major monkey balls?

You're thinking of Dungeon Runners, and yes, that's the idea behind micropayments.

Adressing Exteel: I looked through the "shop" and the only thing I saw that required "NCcoins" (the micropayment currency) was paints to customize the colors of your mech. All of the actual items appear to be purchasable with the credits acquired in-game. Of course I just started playing, so there's probably things I haven't found yet that will require payment to use.

Edit: I did find other core items that are purchasable using NCcoins. However all of those were also purchasable using an exorbitant amount of ingame earned credits too.

Dungeon Runners - yeah, you're right. Not paying for stuff makes Dungeon Runners a bit awkward, but it's still fun for the humor aspect of the game. I just like to click on the NPC's and hear what they have to say.

Dec 21, 2006
Its decent. It's core gameplay is much like Gunz, which I find a bit problematic but some may see as a benefit. Basically, you have a persistant character with persistant stats that you take to short battles (longest is about 15 mins IIRC) to earn credits, experience, and to improve your record.

The way I see it:

Pros:
Low system requirements (maxxed out, 8x AF, 2x AA, 1280x800 on 8600M GT @ 80-120 FPS. Minimum requirement GF4)
Free
Relatively easy to get started
Fast/Frenzied at best

Cons:
Not that pretty
Good stuff requires $ (Best stuff is NC Coin exclusive)
Horrible lag is generally the norm (servers are based in Asia I believe, so my ping, which is generally decent, is usually around the 100 mark. Games generally have players with 100-300 ping involved, which can make lag bad)
Not exorbant number of options for upgrading, especially if not using real money
No real strategy involved; mostly run and slash/shoot

Its decent, but I feel that I will be uninstalling this game within a few weeks just as I did for Gunz.