Explosion in Indianapolis...

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by AmdEmAll, Nov 12, 2012.

1. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

I searched & didn't see a thread on this.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...anapolis-explosion-baffles-investigators?lite

http://abcnews.go.com/US/authorities-probe-indianapolis-explosion/story?id=17701047#.UKGaE4arWvs

I think the whole thing is really fishy.

The explosion was felt for 8+ miles away. It shattered windows miles away and ruined dozens of houses. Two houses were completely leveled.. other houses shifted off of there foundations.

They say it wasn't a gas leak, it wasn't a meth lab. Wtf is it then?

The damage is far worse than any meth lab explosion.

I think it could have possibly been a drone that was taken over and they missed the main target or they just decided to hit anything with it. Looks like damage from a couple of hellfire missiles.

If not that then maybe a meteor? Wouldn't there be a crater though? Pieces of the rock everywhere?

The news is really quiet about it.. its way down the list of 'stories'. The stupid cia affair is more important some how. They are also claiming it could have been a faulty furnace. I call BS.

Up to 30 homes may need to be demolished from a faulty furnace??

#1 AmdEmAll, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. zanejohnson

zanejohnson Diamond Member

waiting for more info

3. Gonad the Barbarian

That has to be the worst article I've ever read. It starts off about an explosion and devolves into some guy wildly speculating and ranting about his ex wife. WTF would they even waste the space for that?

4. Athena

Athena Golden Member

Because there is no actual information about the explosion to be had anywhere...except that it happened.

5. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Is the OP being serious? Military drone going rogue over middle America and taken out by Hellfire missles?

7. zanejohnson

zanejohnson Diamond Member

i want to see debris..

was this a drone or no?

as a computer hardware guru.. lets know this.

8. Gonad the Barbarian

So they write some guy's ramblings about his ex-wife? Hey, my ex-wife's house exploded, let's talk about what a cheap bitch she is.

9. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

You need to open your eyes a little more.. This is very plausible. Drones are starting to take over our skies and it has been proven in the past (Iran) that they can be hacked into and taken over.

10. techs

techs Lifer

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...es-faulty-furnace/?tag=contentAux;mostPopular

Owner of exploded Ind. home cites faulty furnace

INDIANAPOLIS The owner of a house that exploded in Indianapolis, killing two people and damaging dozens of homes so severely officials say they must be demolished, said Monday that a problem furnace could be at fault.

John Shirley, 50, of Noblesville, told The Associated Press that his daughter sent him a text message last week complaining that the furnace in the home where she lives with her mother and her mother's boyfriend had gone out and required them to stay at hotel.

But Shirley also said when he asked if the furnace had been fixed, his daughter said yes, and he wasn't aware of any additional problems until he heard from his daughter again Sunday morning.

"I get a text from my daughter saying `Dad, our home is gone.' Then I called my ex-wife and she said what happened," he said.

A source in touch with the couple told CBS Indianapolis affiliate WISH-TV that a member of the family had smelled gas in the house.

Citizens Energy, the natural gas supplier to the home, did not receive any reports about a faulty furnace at the home, but the homeowner wouldn't necessarily report such a problem to the utility, spokeswoman Sarah Holsapple said. And if the homeowner hired someone to fix the furnace, the contractor wouldn't need to tell the utility.

11. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

"A source in touch with the couple told CBS Indianapolis affiliate WISH-TV that a member of the family had smelled gas in the house."

First ive heard that.. sounds like made up bs by the news. Are they talking about before they had the furnace fixed? Cause the house was supposedly empty when it blew up.

Also anyone on here know a lot about furnaces and NG? I just have a hard time imagining an explosion that big from a house furnace.

12. MomentsofSanity

MomentsofSanity Diamond Member

I have no problem imagining an explosion that big from natural gas buildup. What I'd love to know is how all the fail safes that would prevent that level of gas from a furnace to build in the first place.

#12 MomentsofSanity, Nov 12, 2012
  13. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

It's not from "the furnace" - that's where the natural gas leak probably occurred. The entire basement, heck, even first and second floor could have been filled with natural gas. It's even plausible that the furnace was working - the air it was circulating through the house was gaining an ever increasing concentration of NG. It's only explosive in a certain range of concentrations.

14. DrPizza

Administrator

How old is the furnace? The furnace that was in our first house we purchased did NOT have a shutoff for the pilot. The pilot was on 24/7, unless you manually shut it off. If the thermocouple wasn't sensing a flame, the furnace didn't kick on. But, the thermocouple did not control the pilot light. Though, seems to me, it'd take an awfully long time for the amount of gas being fed into a pilot was sufficient to blow up a neighborhood.

15. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

This looked like an upper class newer house. It's gas line would have had a electronic meter on it and an unusual amount of gas being used should have been detected by the gas company. Also the owners were in the house the day before and it was fine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1d7606-2d2b-11e2-b631-2aad9d9c73ac_story.html

#15 AmdEmAll, Nov 12, 2012
  16. LegendKiller

LegendKiller Lifer

LOL. Hellfires don't have that much destructive capacity. The Ruskies have a satellite that can detect that? ROFL. The motor on a Hellfire is jack shit compared to an ICBM, which is what the Kosmos is designed to detect.

17. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

An attempt to cover up a Zombie outbreak.

18. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

A lot of meters aren't talking to the home base. They just emit a weak signal that a company vehicle driving by once a month picks up. Even a lot of the ones that are connected directly to the energy companies only periodically transmit data back to the mothership.

19. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

NTSB Says no gas leak

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/13/indianapolis-explosion/1702687/

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...anapolis-explosion-baffles-investigators?lite

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...ews|text|IndyStar.com&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

911 Call's are no where to be found.. 3 days of calls are not listed.

Owner of the house finally talks

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...-else-?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.com

“I don’t know why he made that comment,” Monseratte Shirley said today. She said they had been separated for two years and she knew of no gas problems in the home.

#19 AmdEmAll, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  20. DrPizza

Administrator

"No gas leak" in the context of a gas line leaking. They haven't ruled out the possibility of appliances. edit: (oh wow, I forgot you were the silly poster who thought it was a drone strike. You'll misread anything to come to that conclusion. From your own links: )
    Now, I'm sometimes a rather suspicious person...
    Something smells to me, and it isn't mercaptin. Having trouble with the mortgage? Upside down? Wanted a quick insurance settlement? I'm just speculating, but I'm almost willing to wager on it, though, even if that's what happened, it could be difficult to prove it, considering the damage of the blast. Else, it's negligence on an attempted repair.

#20 DrPizza, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  21. DrPizza

Administrator

That should be very easy to prove true or untrue. Only an idiot would tell a lie like that - there would be hotel records somewhere, bank records, etc. I just don't know if the former husband is an idiot or not.

22. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

Possible it was an insurance job but she boarded the cat until Sunday and says she always does that when they leave town.

Look forward to hearing what they say about the appliances.

She must feel pretty f'ing bad to have killed her neighbors if it was an insurance hit.

23. DrPizza

Administrator

The story seems to be changing again - first, it was no furnace problem, now it's "he replaced the thermostat." Plus, now we find out that the daughter smelled a strange odor off and on...

Uh huh...

24. AmdEmAll

AmdEmAll Diamond Member

25. Phokus

Phokus Lifer

I'm thinking of going gas. Do gas boilers/furnaces have an automatic shutoff if the air becomes too rich in natural gas?