Exploration-heavy survival horror games?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
What do you think of some of the best survival horror games with some action components? I tend to like shooters that are also horror games - like Condemned as previously mentioned

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
I like the Dead Space games, but I wouldn't call them scary. All of the "scares" are jump scares that quickly become retardidly predictable. i.e. monsters jump out of the air ducts (that are everywhere and conveniently man sized) 90% of the time, brightly lit rooms go dark shortly after you enter them, long dead end hall ways with goodies at the end are traps, rooms with painfully obvious layouts meant to confuse players while monsters pour in, etc etc.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm surprised no one in this thread is talking about the new Amnesia game coming out in a couple weeks?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239200/

I'm sure that Outlast game is going to be a fun romp and all, but if I had to guess, Amnesia will be much scarier. Outlast looks like it relies more on action and cheap jump-scares, whereas Amnesia is famous for it's subtle, unnerving, slow-burning horror and rich environments.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the king of PC horror games IMO and I think A Machine for Pigs is going to build on that. We'll have to wait and see if that's actually the case though. Both Outlast and Amnesia are coming out within a week of each other, so it looks like they'll be competing.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm surprised no one in this thread is talking about the new Amnesia game coming out in a couple weeks?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239200/

I'm sure that Outlast game is going to be a fun romp and all, but if I had to guess, Amnesia will be much scarier. Outlast looks like it relies more on action and cheap jump-scares, whereas Amnesia is famous for it's subtle, unnerving, slow-burning horror and rich environments.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the king of PC horror games IMO and I think A Machine for Pigs is going to build on that. We'll have to wait and see if that's actually the case though. Both Outlast and Amnesia are coming out within a week of each other, so it looks like they'll be competing.

I didn't mention it cause for me I think it will be crap. But that's me. I'm sure the atmosphere will be great but the enviro design and art direction are not to my taste nor am I fond of the whole pig machine thing, whatever that's supposed to be.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I like the Dead Space games, but I wouldn't call them scary. All of the "scares" are jump scares that quickly become retardidly predictable. i.e. monsters jump out of the air ducts (that are everywhere and conveniently man sized) 90% of the time, brightly lit rooms go dark shortly after you enter them, long dead end hall ways with goodies at the end are traps, rooms with painfully obvious layouts meant to confuse players while monsters pour in, etc etc.

That's one way to trivialize it.

The games are very solid. Yes they have jump scares. Most horror games do, even the great ones. That's part of horror is jump scares. The Dead Space games also have some ridiculously good sound design, and some genuinely scary boss fights and certain monsters (that regenerating one in particular) are pretty horrifying. I haven't played the 3rd yet but the first two are some of the best pure "Resident Evil" style horror games ever.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
That's one way to trivialize it.

The games are very solid. Yes they have jump scares. Most horror games do, even the great ones. That's part of horror is jump scares. The Dead Space games also have some ridiculously good sound design, and some genuinely scary boss fights and certain monsters (that regenerating one in particular) are pretty horrifying. I haven't played the 3rd yet but the first two are some of the best pure "Resident Evil" style horror games ever.

Dang, I should get back into Dead Space 1. I got 1 & 2 on a Steam sale a while ago but haven't beaten / played them much yet (such is the inevitable outcome of a Steam sale...). I got into Fallout 3 from that same sale and liked it so much I got FO:NV - didn't like that so tried Oblivion. Never made it back to Dead Space.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I found dayZ pretty scary/exploratory, especially if you decide to solo, and don't cheat (i.e. no external maps, no external comms, no searching the web for spoilers/bugs/tips, no server hopping) and find a server that is populated by people that play the same way.
I think there are some other mods based on it, where you can essentially set up your own master server, so you don't have to hope that there are pubs out there where you don't get hack-killed.

If the stand-alone ever gets released, the new loot spawn system would probably improve the situation massively.

The combination of limited information of the surroundings, open maps and perma death make a quite compelling case. Add to that predatory humans and different zombie types, and it's a nice survival horror game, if you play it properly.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Dark Souls is fairly exploration based and can be a bit scary at times. It isn't horror, but is survivalist, due to everything being dangerous. There is a good story and lore to the game, but you have to actually go looking for it. Otherwise, you're just running around some fairly abandoned land with monsters.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Based on atmosphere, puzzle solving and some truly horrifying moments then The Walking Dead series is the best game I've played in years. if you haven't played it you definitely should.

dianapanty

Jun 26, 2020
I would recommend you to play The Long Dark. I am personally a great fan of this game because I like to play survival games because I think they are close to reality. After playing this game too much I came to practice different survival skills in this game. I want to share those instructions which I gathered from my personal experience to remain alive in the game.
1 Navigation is the key in this game.
2 Manage the resources.
3 Set up Camp and be efficient.
4 Prioritize tasks.
These are some general tips I want to give from my experience. Other than this, I want to say be creative and enjoy this game because only the tough one survives