Exploration-heavy survival horror games?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Check out Sir, You A Being Hunted.

http://www.big-robot.com/2012/03/12/sir-you-are-being-hunted/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242880/?snr=1_702_4_

It is in its alpha phase right now but looks great. I just found out about it today. You are hunted by robots around the British countryside.

Procedurally generated world. Tons of exploration. A focus on avoidance rather than head-on conflict.

Just checked out the Youtube gameplay video: looks cool! Kinda Minecraft-esque, at least in the survival/exploration aspect. Should be fun once it's complete!

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I'd highly recommend STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl with the newest version of the MISERY mod. Pretty cool stuff those two can combine.

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
Another vote for the Stalker series here. Also the first three Silent Hill games are an absolute must play.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'd highly recommend STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl with the newest version of the MISERY mod. Pretty cool stuff those two can combine.

AFAIK there is no MISERY available for ShoC.....only Call of Pripyat.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Another vote for the Stalker series here. Also the first three Silent Hill games are an absolute must play.

The 1st Silent Hill was absolutely creepy as hell though I am not sure how well it holds up.

You can try out the killer escape games, they are nothing fantastic but free online flash games that I enjoyed.

Last edited:

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Metro 2033 may be more of a scavenger type game than a exploration based game (still lots of action though), check it out.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Outlast looks sorta cool, though I can't tell for sure just from the screenshots and the video and I'm not sure that videos real gameplay. Looks like that Quarantine movie, everything from the setting to the nightvision camera to the actual monsters...gotta love those insane-asylum horror games/movies that have "creatures" deformed beyond recognition that are just blood thirsty monsters...paints a nice picture of the mentally ill population

I played an alpha of Sir, You Are Being Hunted and it's alright...definitely exploration heavy. Should be better when it's more polished.

The one I've been wanting to play the most is Routine because the environment looks neat. No idea when it will actually come out though.

I played Gone Home recently, thinking it was more of a horror game than it turned out to be...I won't spoil anything, but I thought it the story was really stupid - the game also took maybe 2 hours too btw.

Personally I prefer action oriented horror/survival games. I get why people feel its scarier and more realistic to only be able to run and hide but I just don't find it fun - never could get into Amnesia or anything. Slender, The Arrival seemed pretty good though I didn't play long as it's just not a genre I care for much.

The Condemned series are still 2 of my favorite games. Manhunt, the first FEAR, Metro, Dead Space, Doom 3, Alan Wake I may throw in there, these are all more along the type I like. Condemned and FEAR are still 2 of my favorite games and I've looked for more to live up to those two ever since but never quite have...

and I just found a trailer for this game called ZombiiU that actually looks pretty cool, too bad it's only on WiiU.

So I guess you could say I like Action Horror more than Survival Horror, but the two generally aren't split into distinct genres or if they are things like Left 4 Dead end up getting lumped into the former, which I'd just call an Action game. Just having zombies doesn't make a game horror, the zombies actually have to, you know, be horrifying...

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I completed SOC and playing COP now.
The stalker series are not really fps at the core. They are more like Thief sneaker type games, you won't be side strafing and jumping over obstacles in this game and soaking up bullets.

I slogged through SOC at certain parts and felt it was buggy, I pity those who finished the game before the final patches came out. Skipped CS since it was another bugfest. COP is much much better.

AFAIK there is no MISERY available for ShoC.....only Call of Pripyat.

Imo there is no need for the misery mod. It just makes the game frustrating when it the unmodded game is already hard enough.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012

This game was sick.

g17879ss7nd.jpg

The first Condemned was also really good. Man, I think ill go play that on 360 as a matter of fact.

Isn't there a Windows version of Condemned? Anybody play it?

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah Condemned 1 came to PC, it was just as good as the 360. The 2nd one never did get ported over.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Can somebody explain the Misery mod to me in a nutshell? Does it turn the game into a non-ending experience where you "live" in the zone?
A complete overhaul mod from textures to added environments to more weapons, more npc's, new user interface and more. Raises difficulty level to "very hard". However, a good concept, fairly new, several patches. Will wait until the "final version", when all bugs are fixed. The dev team seems very responsive to user suggestions.

The Wife

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I don't consider the STALKER games "survival horror". Survival action sure, but they weren't the least bit scary or horrifying.

Now, that Outlast game, I just watched the trailer right now at 145pm in a brightly lit room and my heart started racing. It looks amazing, and I just bought it.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I'm sure you've played it. But just in case an old one yes. But Sanitarium is hands down an amazing classic. One of my favorite adventure/puzzle/horror games of all time. And absolute do not miss game.

http://www.gog.com/game/sanitarium

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Now, that Outlast game, I just watched the trailer right now at 145pm in a brightly lit room and my heart started racing. It looks amazing, and I just bought it.

I just checked out that trailer as well (the ~4 minute one). I agree, it was pretty intense! Looks like it'll be fun/scary (hopefully).

wrbt

Oct 9, 2009
Hah "Outlast" looks great!

I picked up "Sir you're being hunted" today, only messed around with it a bit but it seems pretty neat. For the life of me I can't figure out the inventory system, specifically how to drop something. Quite frustrating.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I just pre ordered Outlast. It seems to be everything you are looking for. However I have a feeling it will be rather short.