exploding cpu

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
There's nothing to be vaporized from a modern IC that you want depositing itself in your nasal cavity or lungs. Yikes.

I take it that is a delidded nehalem? Probably liquified the silicon substrate which then quite exothermically reacted with the oxygen in the air to go "pop" real quick like. Impressive.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
yes i did that. it's an i5. in case you were wondering why only one side blew up, i put the heatsink on the wrong way. :)

and taking a little whiff was a really bad idea.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
So, um, this was an accident? Egads. Hope they'll send you a replacement. Wouldn't bet on it :)

Nothing like a good snort of Rare Earth to make a man feel alive!

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
replacements? got a tray stack about a foot high. i blow parts up all the time. all part of a good day's work. this one was just especially spectacular lol.

it is easy to put a heatsink on the wrong way. you skip the morning coffee then ignore the corner arrows.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
mmm... lace that substrate with some really nasty stuff and you got a new assassination technique for the CIA :).

I can't wait (sarcasm) for the fake and apocalyptic news reports about a virus that makes your CPU EXPLODE like a BOMB killing everyone in the room.

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
hey man just send me one too so i can blow it up too... and i think i'll also need a mobo too :p

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Where did you get an i5 at?

dmens works for intel. this is a well documented fact, im not making it up. it's his job to break as many CPUs as possible in as many ways as possible to test their processes and what not to improve upon them. have at it i say!

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Originally posted by: faxon

dmens works for intel. this is a well documented fact, im not making it up. it's his job to break as many CPUs as possible in as many ways as possible to test their processes and what not to improve upon them. have at it i say!

Kind of like when the American Chopper crew visited Intel in preparation for a project bike build and they loaned them a printed silicon waffer, and Mikey just smashed it on purpose.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: faxon

Thats pretty sweet.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
video or shens ;P

he works for intel dude...

He's one of the guys on the forum that looks the other way when i show something off. :X

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
video or shens ;P

he works for intel dude...

He's one of the guys on the forum that looks the other way when i show something off. :X

or perhaps he is just building his case :evil:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
reminds me a while back ago, my sponsor sent me 3 wolfies with a note, push as hard as possible and let me know when they pop.

I ended up killing 2... 1 i couldnt have the heart to kill, sorry E8600 is not something u try to kill intensionally.