Explain the "solution" on a previous post

Lamboom

Mar 17, 2019
Hi... This might seem like a strange thing to ask. I have a problem that was apparently solved by a post many years ago: "Win 7 won't remember wireless network key" I haven't learned how to search for threads on this forum yet, so I took a picture of the "solutions" (1) which suggests a solution, and another (2) that advances the solution for a successful outcome. It's this 2nd solution part that I need explaining, Thanks. Picture 1 .. a solution proposed by Smoove910:
Pic 1.jpg

Picture 2 The person that had the problem found this suggestion didn't work, but then found a solution:
Pic 2.jpg

Apparently, Nessism did Smoove910's process again then added the following: 1) uninstalled wireless adapter's software Which wireless adapter? see picture below as it now applies to my problem:
Wireless Adapters.jpg

One of these is to have it's software uninstalled? And it's driver uninstalled? then it's driver installed?

I know how to remove a network adapter and then reinstall by selecting "scan for hardware changes" But how do you "remove software" then replace only the "driver"

As I write this over 50 views of this post have happened.. it's very likely no one knows how to solve this.... but, someone out there might be able to explain in a tutorial what Neesism did after doing what Smoove910 suggested.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
As I write this over 50 views of this post have happened.. it's very likely no one knows how to solve this.... but, someone out there might be able to explain in a tutorial what Neesism did after doing what Smoove910 suggested.
Yeah people just don't want to confuse you even more...
You would have to delete the device that holds the wifi key,my guess would be on the dell wireless 5630 since that's the one that actually says wireless...
If all else fails you can delete all these devices and windows will just rescan and re install all of them.
(Make sure though to have the driver for the 82579lm downloaded because if you loose all internet you pretty much screwed)

I know how to remove a network adapter and then reinstall by selecting "scan for hardware changes" But how do you "remove software" then replace only the "driver"
He is probably referring to extra software that came with his router just like nvidia cards come with geforce experience it's not part of the driver but extra software.
If this is the case for you the extra software will be listed in windows control panel, add/remove software.
Or if you still have them you can put in all the cds of these devices and the automated installation will give you the option to uninstall any of them you have installed.

Lamboom

Mar 17, 2019
That sounds like good advice... Thanks ELF I'm certain this doesn't involve the router.. other Dell PC's I have work fine, their Network list (some contain 5 or so networks) are OK.
This is an interesting problem to research on the web... The problem seems to be that windows is just not remembering network keys/passwords when actually the problem is, it is not remembering "networks"!

Lamboom

Mar 17, 2019
Dear TheELF... Have found something interesting, my PC has really two devices that manage network connections. One is Intell PROSet Wireless, and the other is Windows itself. Intel's PROSet can be "switched off" in their window. Thus, allowing Windows to run network connections. When I did that, all of the missing networks came back on the "list" of networks for windows network WiFi connection management. Also, the problem went away... FIXED!

This might mean that "both" manager's of WiFi connections were probably running at the same time? ... and conflicting ... so that each time I changed to another local wifi network, I had to log in again ... past networks & keys not being remembered.

The question now.. is what to do to make PROSet work, when I return to PROSet window, and click "Enable WiFi Control"? (I will delete, and re-download the driver for that device; however, I believe I already did that.)

Is there a way to turn off Windows WiFi connection management....like what can be done with PROSet ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly? Windows' own wifi network management is generally good enough (*).

(*) At least for every SOHO user that I've seen. Businesses with more esoteric Wifi authentication methods might need to use a 3rd-party manager to connect to their business wifi.

Lamboom

Mar 17, 2019
THANKS, VirtualLarry! That's what I thought ... PROSet just came with the "refurbished" PC .. 'tho I did use it many years back. I guess the best fix is to uninstall it. :) Very easy to do, then reinstall it as a possible fix ... so I did. It's a little tricky, because you have to match the PROSet version with the Adapter (which is old) Intel Centrino Advanced-2 6205 .. Uninstalled the original, then reinstalled ..wizard said "success". The problem now is .. I can't find it! No PROSet software in START/programs.. nothing in RUN for "PROSet" ... The only place it shows up is in the list for "Uninstall a Program" in Control Panel/Programs! Great! I can't find it, can't use it ..only uninstall it (or go back to the restore point) Ya know. I bet there is some "Reason" This thing is set to not remember Keys... it requires the user to know the Key to every network connection. I think I'll just delete PROSet... :)