explain how lcd/led/plasma tvs work in relationship to the front glass

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Lets say I have a flat panel tv that the front outer glass gets cracked on. It's just a piece of glass, right? Why would that stop the inner screen from working as the image is displayed on the inner screen and the glass is just there for protection, right?

I'm looking at TVs on craigslist and a guy has a 60 inch plasma with a small crack. He said it worked that way for about a month but has now stopped. The picture of the crack is laughable.. its just a super tiny crack on the screen, so why does the entire front panel need to be replaced? Can just the glass be replaced or what is the true function of the glass on a flat panel tv such as this?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Think i just found the answer:
Need to know how to repair a broken plasma TV? Did an unfortunate accident break or crack your plasma television screen? We feel for you. Buying a new plasma TV is expensive, but it may be your best option. In fact, depending on the extent of the damage, it may be your only option. Repairing a broken plasma TV screen is not easy, and it’s certainly not cheap. If your screen is severely damaged, it may be impossible to repair the TV. Plasma screens are made of two pieces of glass encasing a mixture of gases that emit light. If your TV is damaged in such a way that the gases can escape, you cannot repair the plasma screen. However, if the break or crack is less extensive and the gas has not escaped, you can attempt to make repairs or cover the damage.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sure there is. My plasma at home has a piece of glass on the screen that faces forward. It is glass, and it is on the front.

as in it is part of the actual plasma panel, not a separate piece of glass.