Expired, Windows 8 Pro Upgrade 29.99 AR $40 FS@ Newegg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
You should definitely be able to get it, since this is a separate offer, but I would call first just to make sure.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
My Win 8 box just arrived. It's rather easy to peel off the UPC sticker and affix it to the printout that you mail in for the rebate, no need to cut the box.

There are 2 discs in the box, one says 32 and the other 64. Then there is a card with your key code. Nice.

tomatom

Jul 27, 2002
easy install to a new HDD ,

then rum motherboard-chipset SW .

automatically activates .

all updates notify ready to install .

be sure to try " My GodCode "

and any Start8Win Button . < Google them >

Merry Xmas all'uall

brocks

Nov 3, 2009
I don't get it. If you're buying it from Newegg, and what you get is a card good only at Newegg, then why can't they just give you a code to use with your next purchase right now, instead of making you print stuff and fill it out and cut out your UPC code and mail it all in?

polypterus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
I don't get it. If you're buying it from Newegg, and what you get is a card good only at Newegg, then why can't they just give you a code to use with your next purchase right now, instead of making you print stuff and fill it out and cut out your UPC code and mail it all in?

The card is a Visa debit card that can be used anywhere (that accepts Visa).

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Most prefer a clean install, instead of installing win7 then win8. When Apple released OS X Mountain Lion, its $20.00 for a full version. Windows 7 has 6 editions now Windows 8 has 4. Too confusing.

Speaking of which, does windows 8 upgrade allow the clean install like windows 7 did? (modified as explained on Paul Thurrot's site). Supposedly some of the methods explained on that site for Win 7 are even supported by Microsoft, so you aren't really breaking any TOA's. I think MS just realizes most people don't want to be stuck jumping through an upgrade path (provided you actually have the prior version required for said upgrade).

I guess it's an like an honor clause that I'm sure most abuse.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
My understanding about the term "upgrade" is you are upgrading your license from [whatever previous version] to Windows 8.

However, as to the actual course of action you take to get Win 8 on your machine, it is perfectly expected to do clean/new install if you want that, or just take the easy route and install over your old version to maintain all the previous installs etc. But maybe someone has read the fine print and can chime in on the actual rights you have to do with the software. Don't feel guilty about doing the clean install option, it's handed to you on a silver platter as a legitimate option in the install process.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone with triple-display setup, can you comment on your experience with Windows 8?

I have 3 monitors, not sure if it's worth going to Windows 8? Is Windows 8 only worth it if you have a touch-screen display or Surface tablet already?

I have a triple display setup. I personally think that windows 8 handles multiple displays a lot better than windows 7. No longer feels like an afterthought. If you're referring to the hotspots, there is a catch all when you hit the corner of the screen of your mouse so it doesn't overshoot.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah those "catch" things for Win 8, I was reading about those, pretty good idea for multi monitor! I'm looking at my installation box now, just putting off the installation because I'm lazy and don't want to re-setup all my network sharing to let my TV get the files off this.

But I assume Win 8 pro can do all the network sharing tricks that Win 7 allowed? Currently I use wake on lan to turn on, and use the remote desktop to let me log in and turn off, my current Win 7 computer that I use to serve media files to my TV. I imagine Win 8 can do all that too no sweat, but it's agh those settings bum me out digging around to get it all working ...

nusyo

Feb 27, 2011
Everything I read about 8 is negative.....thanks but no thanks. :)

hehe depends what you read and where :>

For those using win 7 pro it makes sense to upgrade to Win 8 Pro because you are getting Bitlocker (Win7 Pro to Win7 Ult. is over $100).