Expired, Windows 8 Pro Upgrade 29.99 AR $40 FS@ Newegg

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by Replay, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

2. qliveur

qliveur Diamond Member

You should definitely be able to get it, since this is a separate offer, but I would call first just to make sure.

3. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

My Win 8 box just arrived. It's rather easy to peel off the UPC sticker and affix it to the printout that you mail in for the rebate, no need to cut the box.

There are 2 discs in the box, one says 32 and the other 64. Then there is a card with your key code. Nice.

4. tomatom

tomatom Senior member

easy install to a new HDD ,

then rum motherboard-chipset SW .

automatically activates .

all updates notify ready to install .

be sure to try " My GodCode "

and any Start8Win Button . < Google them >

Merry Xmas all'uall

5. brocks

brocks Member

I don't get it. If you're buying it from Newegg, and what you get is a card good only at Newegg, then why can't they just give you a code to use with your next purchase right now, instead of making you print stuff and fill it out and cut out your UPC code and mail it all in?

6. polypterus

polypterus Golden Member

The card is a Visa debit card that can be used anywhere (that accepts Visa).

7. Wyndru

Wyndru Diamond Member

Speaking of which, does windows 8 upgrade allow the clean install like windows 7 did? (modified as explained on Paul Thurrot's site). Supposedly some of the methods explained on that site for Win 7 are even supported by Microsoft, so you aren't really breaking any TOA's. I think MS just realizes most people don't want to be stuck jumping through an upgrade path (provided you actually have the prior version required for said upgrade).

I guess it's an like an honor clause that I'm sure most abuse.

8. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

My understanding about the term "upgrade" is you are upgrading your license from [whatever previous version] to Windows 8.

However, as to the actual course of action you take to get Win 8 on your machine, it is perfectly expected to do clean/new install if you want that, or just take the easy route and install over your old version to maintain all the previous installs etc. But maybe someone has read the fine print and can chime in on the actual rights you have to do with the software. Don't feel guilty about doing the clean install option, it's handed to you on a silver platter as a legitimate option in the install process.

9. donfm

donfm Senior member

Everything I read about 8 is negative.....thanks but no thanks. :)

10. DominicanYorkJl

DominicanYorkJl Junior Member

Windows 8 is not a bad OS; you just have to be open to change.

11. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

I have a triple display setup. I personally think that windows 8 handles multiple displays a lot better than windows 7. No longer feels like an afterthought. If you're referring to the hotspots, there is a catch all when you hit the corner of the screen of your mouse so it doesn't overshoot.

12. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

Yeah those "catch" things for Win 8, I was reading about those, pretty good idea for multi monitor! I'm looking at my installation box now, just putting off the installation because I'm lazy and don't want to re-setup all my network sharing to let my TV get the files off this.

But I assume Win 8 pro can do all the network sharing tricks that Win 7 allowed? Currently I use wake on lan to turn on, and use the remote desktop to let me log in and turn off, my current Win 7 computer that I use to serve media files to my TV. I imagine Win 8 can do all that too no sweat, but it's agh those settings bum me out digging around to get it all working ...

13. fastcuda

fastcuda Senior member

Is there really an advantage to games on w8 over 7 except the fast boot time?

14. nusyo

nusyo Member

hehe depends what you read and where :>

For those using win 7 pro it makes sense to upgrade to Win 8 Pro because you are getting Bitlocker (Win7 Pro to Win7 Ult. is over $100).

15. Replay

Replay Golden Member

Cheapest boxed version deal returns, Jan 26-27. See post #1.