experiences with mini-itx and dedicated GPU?

cfineman

Nov 20, 2006
Anyone out there have experiences building an HTPC w/ a dedicated GPU in a mini-ITX format? I'd like to be able to run MadVR+SVP and do a little gaming all in a small package. Wondering if folks here have experiences with this and any particular cases and/or cards you might recommend. Probably need at least a 7790/650ti.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
BitFenix Prodigy will take a full-size card, but I think it's too big / ugly for an HTPC.

Too bad the crowd-funded Ncase M1 was only a limited production run. It looks incredible. I have one, but it will be a while before I can afford to build something in it. It might even end-up as a Broadwell system.

I have a really cool-looking Silverstone HTPC chassis, but it only takes half-height cards. I haven't researched this, but the last half-height gaming-capable card I can recall was a 9800GT.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
What kind of case are you looking for... a 'HTPC' case or can you roll with a standard PC case or one of the cubes? I've been looking at a couple of the cube cases for an mITX build and they make a lot of sense, including the capability of taking a full-sized GPU. Understand it won't be uber silent, however.

Following that logic, I built my HTPC in a standard PC case (Define Mini) because it has soundproofing and to satisfy my size requirements.

Alan G

Apr 25, 2013
If you don't need a DVD player, the Fractal Designs Node 304 might be fine for your purposes (you could always use a USB DVD player if needed).

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
When I wanted a gaming capable htpc, the size of the cards plus cooling considerations led me away from a tiny case/mb. Went with a Silverstone gb04. Bigger, but looks nice.

ThaBaldYeti

Dec 26, 2013
I have a node 304. I use it primarily for gaming but also as a htpc. Mine has a 3570k oc'ed to 4ghz and a Msi TF3 7950 oc'ed to 1100. I have mined with it for days and max temp on the gpu was 73c.
The cpu is cooled by a hyper 212 evo.
Yes everything fits but its tight.
I do not miss the optical drive. I have only needed one a couple of times but I do have access to a usb one when needed.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
If you have no intentions of overclocking on air (one of the water AIOs is fine), I'd take a look at the CM Elite 130. Cable management is flat out a massive b, but it's one of the cheaper mITX cases out there today. Plus the management isn't so bad if you have a modular PSU.

I fit a 6950 inside... you shouldn't have any problems with a 7750/650TI. If cooling is a big concern with you then a mATX case might work for you. I strongly considered the Fractal Core 1000 (~$35-40) before going the mITX route.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I love my EVGA Hadron case, it's super small but you can still fit all but a couple extra huge video cards. I think all the Titans will even fit. IMHO it's one of the best looking cases too, but that's a personal preference thing.

Neal.a.nelson

Jan 27, 2014
Silverstone PS08B - Is this really less than $35?!
Yes, it was 34.99 shipped with a $5 Mir until the end of January,and I thought it was the best compromise for a small(ish) case suitable for atx PSU, mATX mobo, and full-height VGA- and my wife thought it was too big for the living room...:|

I am a big fan of this case design:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jetway-111-...JC-111-B-/111090012812?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Allows for a full size GPU with riser. Not a ton of space so you are going to be limited to cards that are normal sized, but that is more options than just low profile cards and this case is still HTPC-sized.

This shows promise, and jetway is known for other components. Have you built using this case? I'm thinking Z97 Haswell Refresh i3, leaving open an upgrade one - two years out to Broadwell K + 65w card + much beefier adapter.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This shows promise, and jetway is known for other components. Have you built using this case? I'm thinking Z97 Haswell Refresh i3, leaving open an upgrade one - two years out to Broadwell K + 65w card + much beefier adapter.

I have all earlier design of that case (without vent in lid ) that I use as a HTPC. Not decked out mind you- 60gb SSD, Celeron G1610 and GT430. But its roomy enough I plan to upgrade the GPU to allow for light gaming.

I love the design. If you use a SSD you can fit a little longer GPU. Better than only half height cards.

Neal.a.nelson

Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for your specs. I would set the case upright, a la x51, so GPU heat would rise, mix with the new vent's intake air, and exit the top. Their ebay store offers http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110888383297&refid=store a 160 watt adapter, that might power your upgraded gpu. I've started to wade into the x51 adapter thicket, as I'm not interested in a low profile gpu. After all, I could put one of those into my current, slim case and be done with it.

Last edited: