Experience sleeping on multiple mattress types? Get in here

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
What's it like sleeping on different mattresses? What's it like making love on different mattresses? What kind of qualities should I look for in a mattress? What's the point of a box spring?

Yes, I'm in the market for a new bed and since they won't let me sleep in the mattress store I'm asking questions here. I have an old spring mattress now and I'd like to know why foam or latex is better, worse or just plain different. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
Mattresses are a waste. Thick blanket and the floor is fine. Saves space too since you just put it in the closet when you wake up.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Uh...

It might be a little hard to explain to my girl that we're going to be using the floor from now on.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
You forgot waterbeds. They were huge for a while, but have faded away as foam improved. (And beat it on price.)

I miss mine so much. I never wanted to move in the morning, and never got over the novelty.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I have a Thermarest Pro-lite 4 and a 15-year-old futon on the floor. Kinda sad. I think the Prolight sleeps better, too.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
all you need to get is pillow top mattress for sleeping , those are the best... for rumpin... you need a TRAMPoline

Oct 19, 2000
I just got a new mattress last week, the first new mattress I've ever had in my life (I'm 27). It's a spring pillow-top Serta, and it's heaven. We moved the old mattress into a second bedroom, and anytime I want to justify my purchase, I lay down on the old one. Compared to the new, it literally feels like you're laying on the ground. I don't see how I ever slept on that thing for the past 5 years.

Just incase you don't know this, I learned a little something when shopping for mattresses. It seems that at most places you can haggle with them quite a bit, it's worse than a car lot. The mattress I ended up purchasing was originally marked at $1300, and was put on sale for president's day for around $1150. I told the guy I was only looking to spend $600, and he immediately went down to $699. I came back the next day and told him the guy up the street had a nice Simmons pillow-top he offered to me for $599, so he matched it. Mattresses are marked up so ridiculously high.

The mattress I got was at a Sleep Outfitter's, it was a Serta island palm pillow-top. You never know if you might be looking at the same mattress, so you know what I paid. :)

Dec 30, 2004
So I've got one of those foam thingies; and a lot of mornings I wake up sweating where my body was in contact with it. Now it's only one of the 2" thick foams, and it's on top of a spring bed that has a plastic cover installed by the dorm housing owners, so this could be why, but somehow I imagine if I had a full thick mattress like the 1.5' ones you see in the TempurPedic adds, the circulation would be poor there as well.

I prefer spring.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
decent sealy posturpedic is ok iwth me. cheaper ones can have less springs/support and or less padding which just feels cheap hollow and uncomfortable. so make sure you get a decent matress and not just pick one out at costco where you cant really try it out.:p

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I've slept on high quality spring/pillow-top, Sleep-Number, and Tempurpedic. The Tempurpedic is the be all, end all of beds. Hands down. Go foam.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I've no experience when it comes to mattresses, but I am sleeping on something borrowed, a single sized King Koil and it does feel great. I can lay on it for hours, some days nearly 16+ hours. It's just that good.

Now my dad is a carpenter and has given me a 2 inch memory foam. Although it does shape and fit to your body during the night, I dont really enjoy that sinking feeling. Too mushy. People say this is superior bed technology, but I personally don't like it.

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006
memory foam is really, really comfortable, but it also retains a ton of heat. I like sleeping in the cold, so its a real bitch at times.