Expensive Ramen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
The cheap stuff was a staple during college, but I definitely enjoy the more expensive ones, like the Korean one I'm eating now. I can still use the cheap ones the noodles itself if I mix it with other stuff.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: Quasmo
Does this Nong Shim stuff also have tons of sodium, etc.?

Oh hell yes. Like a gram.

LOL You crack me up.

I missed the joke, but yeah these puppies usually have over 1 gram of sodium. Just put half the packet... It still is pretty good!

Shin has 1050mg fwiw.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
just drink like 2-3 glass of water afterwards.

some people find the shin ramen hot/spicy.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Bah, that crap is never filling. Love the taste though. It makes a pretty good snack shortly before or after meals.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Tiamat

LOL You crack me up.

I missed the joke, but yeah these puppies usually have over 1 gram of sodium. Just put half the packet... It still is pretty good!

Shin has 1050mg fwiw.

Are you accounting for the number of servings per packet?

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Thanks for this thread OP, reminded me to go to the asian store on my way home :thumbsup:

Ramen :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What are some good ones in the No. VA area? I usually go to the one near Dunn Loring.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
go expensive!! there are a couple of local ramen places here, there's one where there's a line waiting for the restaurant to open ... $10-$12/bowl :(

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
1200 mg of sodium per serving, 2 servings per bowl. 2400mg of sodium. Holy crap. I assume alot of that stays in the water, and I only use half a packet.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
go expensive!! there are a couple of local ramen places here, there's one where there's a line waiting for the restaurant to open ... $10-$12/bowl :(

Damn your area is expensive. Good thing theres an asian area near me, ~$5-6 for a good bowl.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I recently did a comparison of the ramen found at the local store. Here are the results.

Nong Shim Corp. Ansung Tang Myun == A
Nong Shim Corp. Shin Ramen ======= A-
Nong Shim Corp. Kimchi =========== A-/B+
Sapporo Ichiban ================= B
Top Ramen ==================== C+
Maruchan ===================== F--
:thumbsup:

I like Neoguri, but I have to take a shower afterward because the spicyness leads to extreme sweating. :eek:

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
1200 mg of sodium per serving, 2 servings per bowl. 2400mg of sodium. Holy crap. I assume alot of that stays in the water, and I only use half a packet.

Wow, i didnt know the Shin bowls were so heavy with the sodium. I've only eaten the Ramen in the packages that you have to cook in a normal pot - they have 1g of sodium.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Real Japanese Ramen that costs like $9 a bowl beats anything that you can buy in those packages...

People dont eat raman because they really like it. Its ok, but normally its because they are poor

You're thinking of ramen like top ramen and even the more asian brands like Nong Shim and stuff.

Japanese Ramen is a specialty. It's expensive because its a different breed of ramen. It's like comparing Mc Donalds 39 cent burgers to Red Robin's gourmet burgers. Japanese Ramen can run up to like $10 or beyond at some places and I know some places where people line up before the store opens. It's that good.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Those are pretty good for the instant bowl kind. I used to eat those all the time. But I prefer the type you have to cook in a pot.

MSCoder610

Aug 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Ktulu

LOL You crack me up.

Shin has 1050mg fwiw.

Are you accounting for the number of servings per packet?

True. I'm looking at a Nong Shim Spicy Chicken noodle bowl I have: it's 1275mg, and that's for one serving (2 per bowl). So it's 2550mg for the whole thing. The flavor is really good though.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Real Japanese Ramen that costs like $9 a bowl beats anything that you can buy in those packages...

People dont eat raman because they really like it. Its ok, but normally its because they are poor

You're thinking of ramen like top ramen and even the more asian brands like Nong Shim and stuff.

Japanese Ramen is a specialty. It's expensive because its a different breed of ramen. It's like comparing Mc Donalds 39 cent burgers to Red Robin's gourmet burgers. Japanese Ramen can run up to like $10 or beyond at some places and I know some places where people line up before the store opens. It's that good.

top ramen is a japanese ramen (nissin). the differentiating factor is just quality, not whether it's from japan or not.

Ig

Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk

top ramen is a japanese ramen (nissin). the differentiating factor is just quality, not whether it's from japan or not.

He's talking about fresh ramen served at ramen shops. Not the instant stuff everyone else is talking about.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Ig
Originally posted by: gopunk

He's talking about fresh ramen served at ramen shops. Not the instant stuff everyone else is talking about.

yea, i know what he's talking about... i'm just pointing out that both are "japanese ramen".