Excuses for Obama's Failure to Lead

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Obama 's problem as I see it is lack of a backbone. When he speaks he says whatever the current crowd listening wants to hear.

I don't think any recent presidents are really good leaders. When I think of leaders I think of people that stand up for what they believe, the kind of people that I would be willing to follow into battle based on what they ordered. I couldn't do that with Obama, Bush jr, Clinton . Bush SR is probably the last president that I would have stood behind and did, he was the president when I joined the Navy. I honestly would not feel comfortable swearing in now to follow the orders of the president.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Obama 's problem as I see it is lack of a backbone. When he speaks he says whatever the current crowd listening wants to hear.

I don't think any recent presidents are really good leaders. When I think of leaders I think of people that stand up for what they believe, the kind of people that I would be willing to follow into battle based on what they ordered. I couldn't do that with Obama, Bush jr, Clinton . Bush SR is probably the last president that I would have stood behind and did, he was the president when I joined the Navy. I honestly would not feel comfortable swearing in now to follow the orders of the president.

Huh? Your post is ridiculous. Are you signing up to serve your country or a president? If its just the president as your post is alluding to, you have no business serving anyway.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Too bad Obama can't treat his opposition like Bush did. If he was just an imperious prick and spoke to others like they were children, oh my how things would be better, right? Of course, that probably wouldn't come off the same way what with Obama not sounding like a child himself.

But yeah, all that "compromise" stuff is way too diplomatic and overrated. Real leadership means treating your political opposition like traitors, and throwing responsibility out the window.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Huh? Your post is ridiculous. Are you signing up to serve your country or a president? If its just the president as your post is alluding to, you have no business serving anyway.

The more these guys spout off this crap the more "Banana Republican" applies to them. It's sad. :(

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Part of me wishes President Obama would come off as more assertive (this is what I want, let's cut a deal) and part of me mourns the fact that if he did it probably wouldn't change anyone's opinion of him (certainly not most on the right).

I like what he is doing. Could it be better? Sure.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
When you say "I'll agree that Obama's leadership has been somewhat lacking, -snip-. It's because Obama fails to properly perceive the nature and intent of the opposition", you're right but for all the wrong reasons. And "properly perceive the nature and intent of the opposition" is key here.

When you say "The whole healthcare issue is demonstative. He and Reid should have forced the senatorial Dems to go with the HOR version", you're on to something, but haven't figured it out yet.

His opposition was not the Repubs, it was the (real) leaders in his own party. With super majorities in the House and Senate the Repubs should have totally been irrelevent and powerless. "He and Reid should have forced the Senatorial Dems..", heck he couldn't get, or make Reid do anything. And Reid clearly demonstrated he had no intent or desire to pass the House the bill as is (or was) and Obama couldn't persuade him to. Heck Obama himself showed no effort towards that end. He probably know it was futile from his own limited time in the Senate.

BTW: I don't mean to sound harsh or insulting, but my impression is that you haven't followed politics for very long. The Senate thinks of itself as a much higher body than that of those 2-year yocals in the House. Good freakin luck with any effort to get the Senate to fall inline behind the House. We'll see that when hell freezes over. You've got it backwards, and I'm not talking about which bill was better, but how Washington DC works and where the big ego's are.

Fern

I think you underestimate the power of the Bully Pulpit, Fern, and make attributions wrt Reid that aren't necessarily accurate. When you start from 40 confirmed "No" votes in the Senate, a few corporatist Dem senators will try to run the show. What Reid and Obama didn't do was lean on 'em hard enough, call 'em out publicly if required, squeeze the federal funds their states depend on rather heavily. We are talking about Montana and Nebraska, right? They can't run to the RNC for support and guidance like the Repubs, and they can be induced to fall in line with both positive and negative incentives. Have your friends start making noises about primary challenges, too- they'll see the light rather quickly.

You have to be prepared to lose when adopting this kind of strategy, something the Admin hasn't been willing to accept. They seem to think that they can compromise into something beneficial, which really seems impossible, all things considered. What they really needed to do was run it up the flagpole, have a blanket party later for anybody who didn't salute... make that clear from the outset. Recalcitrants among the senatorial Dems can't even claim principle as motivation, given that they and their repub allies don't really have any other than a lust for power and an affinity to greed...

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

When you enlist to serve your country you swear an oath to follow the orders of the president , do you suggest people just overlook that statement ? When I swear to something it means more to me than just words I'm saying. I guess to you the idea that duty and honor is something earned and not given means little. Serving your country is not signing up and saying a bunch of words , it is being willing to die for what the country including the president believes in.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Post another anti-Obama thread based on Charles Krauthammer? LOL

:D

Point one: Charles Krauthammer is a fascist moron.

What he said.

Obama is not responsible for the GOP Block & Blame Game:

GOP_BlockBlame-500x.jpg

Why do Republicans hate America ?

--

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
The line has been drawn. IMO, there will be no significant legislation that takes effect, or is passed before 2017.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

His post is 100% fact. Maybe you should read some of the scathing similar assesments of Obama from the far left at commondreams. Maybe then you will realize its not just the far right saying this. Hell, the OP is alot nicer than some of the commentaries Ive read over there.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Krauthammer is the man. I look forward to reading his articles every week. Very smart but very funny in a Seinfeld-esque way: making sarcastic commentary on the obviously ridiculous things. :awe: