Exciting times to be an RPG gamer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
DA 2 had a one year production time and was a rushed and botched job. DA3 is taking a lot longer so hopefully that means they're putting some effort into it.

I for one will not give them the benefit of the doubt. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

Dragon Age II surprised me. While the game had great combat, it was dragged down in every way because of how absolutely rushed the game was. The lack of detail and rushed nature of the game was so apparent it was mind blowing: Come on, 1 city? How many dungeons did you visit 20 times with reskinned enemies? I remember literally going to the same quote unquote dungeon for at least 20 different quests. Same area, same graphics, reskinned enemies. It was a total joke in comparison to the excellent Dragon Age: Origins.

I think the bioware that we knew and loved from 10 years ago is gone. Long, long gone. It is a different company now interested only in profit above all else, not in making good games. For me personally, I'll be voting with my wallet....I have to think long and hard before ever purchasing a bioware game again...which is sad really, because it was such a great studio in the past.

Last edited:

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I've said this a few times before, they should have called DA2, "Tales from Dragon Age" and had produced as a secondary series like Icewind Dale was to Baldur's Gate. Heavy on action, light on plot. Everyone would have happily waited for a proper DA2and a "More" approach rather than a "WTF-You-Bastards?".

This very well may be a new Golden Age for RPGs. I can't wait for Torment and Project Eternity. Anything "Witcher" is good!

I never got into the Might and Magic series, but I don't think I gave any of them honest shot. What's the best one to grab, at this point, to enter the series?

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'd take a new Wizardry over a new Might and Magic in a heartbeat. Sadly, Wizardry is going the MMO route.

That said, I'm stoked at the upcoming RPG releases.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I've said this a few times before, they should have called DA2, "Tales from Dragon Age" and had produced as a secondary series like Icewind Dale was to Baldur's Gate. Heavy on action, light on plot. Everyone would have happily waited for a proper DA2and a "More" approach rather than a "WTF-You-Bastards?".

This very well may be a new Golden Age for RPGs. I can't wait for Torment and Project Eternity. Anything "Witcher" is good!

I never got into the Might and Magic series, but I don't think I gave any of them honest shot. What's the best one to grab, at this point, to enter the series?

Sadly probably none unless you can stomach mid 90's 3D graphics. MM9 was terrible, but MM6-8 were all fun to play but like I said the graphics are badly dated.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
M&M10 w000000000tt!?!?!?!?!??!
I just soiled myself.

oh wait...UbiSoft...pants unsoiled.

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well ubisoft is hard to predict (with regards to M&M10). Far cry 3 turned out ok from what I hear (I didn't play the game) and the newest release have dropped the always on-line drm. So M&M-10 might work (i will not buy it if it requires a connection to uplay since ubi already has shown they will shutdown their servers for a week with total disregards to players).
-
But you know bioware/EA has the same problem. When their server goes down (which is frequent) dragon age 1 dlc don't work which is most annoying. I mean here is a game that is selling for < $10 and is 5 years old and they still haven't removed this crap; compare this to larien who removed drm from divinity 2 after 1.5 years as well as cdprojek removing drm from witcher 2. I simply will not buy anymore games from EA or bioware until they remove this crap. I hate playing a game and then getting a pop up that xyz has been removed or is unavailable because THEIR server has issue.
-
But back on topic - tooooo many rpg in 2013/2014 and not enough time:
cdproject two games (witch 3 and cyber punk)
larien two games (dragon commander and original sin)
project eternity
wasteland
shadowrun return
dead state
torment (late 2014?)
aow3 (ok dragon commander and aow3 are not really rpg but they are close :) )
-
I mean all of these are long games; and the backlog grows :)

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Whoa, M&M 10. That's going to be freaking epic, can't wait. With regards to uplay:

Uplay is fine. It has been for a long time - all you do is wait .5 seconds for it to load and click one button. It is literally less hassle to use than Steam, *and* it works offline. 98% of the stuff you hear about uplay is hate filled hyperbole. It is fine and has been for a long time - and like I said. You can use it offline, you NEVER need to be online for it - you only have to log in once, choose offline, then you never log in again. This is the same way steam handles offline play.

Again. Internet hyperbole. Mostly produced by pirates looking for self justification to pirate games. Whatever. In the grand scheme of things i'd say that SecuROM and GFWL still REALLY suck and I will always avoid those, but uplay has improved to the point to where it is a non-factor. Anyway, I have to say I haven't any issues with any ubi games, including far cry 3 and all of the assassin's creed games. And yes, i'm very much looking forward to M&M 10.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
after Dragon Age 2 (NOT a real RPG at all it sucked ass) i will pass on DA3

I don't remember witcher 2 (i do own i though) was good or not.
DA2 was so bad that when I went to play DA afterward (I never had before) I hated it because it reminded me of DA2 so much even though everybody has said DA is an amazing game overall. I Just couldn't do it.

Fallout games are the best I've played in recent years, love 'em. Loved the original two also.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I really need to try Dark Souls on the PC. I played it on the Xbox but if I remember correctly I wasn't impressed with how it ran.

As that company was primarily a PSone and PS2 dev.. I wish i could say play it on a PS3.. but there is slow down and stutter in them all except the PC version once unofficially patched I'm told(I cant say for sure as I don't own the PC version as it pretty much requires a gamepad.. and I already own it on the PS3 and 360).

they made some great (but hard) games Kings Field games while crude looking are really Demons Souls and Dark Souls grand daddy's.. hard, traps, people and mobs to fight.. I was a huge fan. Unfortantly the games are mucho bucks now days.. $75+ for each :( NEW gamers wont find them graphically attractive and they are quite dated.. but loads of fun for us old school guys.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

I would suggest 3 Island of Terra, which is sorta 4 games.. all can be played as stand alone..but you install
Clouds of Xeen (4)
Darkside of Xeen (5)
you get bonus game WORLD OF XEEN

all 4 are same engine, play the same.. 3 is stand alone, but as they all look and play the same I suggest it. This is very much in the old style of grid, turn based.. with the option of going real time (sorta). and it includes a mapping ability ( a must).. try get the CD version with speech.. while its not awesome in any stretch.. voice acting adds to the game.

otherwise 6 is generally regarded as the best of the "new" ones. Probably the highest ranked M&M game. Some of the battles are EPIC..

there is a temple battle where you enter and nothing in a HUGE room, you pick up one object you have 50-100 skeletons.. one of those "how the heck do I beat this" moments.

NEW GAMES? heck Im playing Wiz 8 and just started Bualders Gate EE (steam had it for $10 bucks this weekend) over. Good games is good games, even if you played um once.. try a new character class and go EVIL (or good if that was your normal cup of tea).. which I find amazingly hard to do.. kick a kitten? dang its just a game.. but i still feel bad.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I just hope devs get the hint that just because your FPS has loot look and stats, it doesn't mean its a RPG. Not nearly enough top down party based RPGs any more.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
try a new character class and go EVIL (or good if that was your normal cup of tea).. which I find amazingly hard to do.. kick a kitten? dang its just a game.. but i still feel bad.
Ha ha. You should try this in Jade Empire (yeah, yeah, not a real RPG, whatever): if you go full Closed Fist you can literally kick puppies (they're present but non-interactable otherwise) for bonuses.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
As that company was primarily a PSone and PS2 dev.. I wish i could say play it on a PS3.. but there is slow down and stutter in them all except the PC version once unofficially patched I'm told(I cant say for sure as I don't own the PC version as it pretty much requires a gamepad.. and I already own it on the PS3 and 360).

they made some great (but hard) games Kings Field games while crude looking are really Demons Souls and Dark Souls grand daddy's.. hard, traps, people and mobs to fight.. I was a huge fan. Unfortantly the games are mucho bucks now days.. $75+ for each :( NEW gamers wont find them graphically attractive and they are quite dated.. but loads of fun for us old school guys.

Yeah the PC version and the mod (DSFix) took care of the slowdown issues. I own the 360 version and still bought the PC version on release day. The only complaint I have is that people cheat online. I get invaded by people with infinite health and have to resort to kicking them off a ledge. And the top of the leaderboard was a soul level 1 guy with 99 all stats... If you have a wired Xbox360 controller it is plug in play for PC and works with almost all games. For wireless, there is a usb adapter that you can sync it to. I have no idea of the cost of that though.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
No.

Black Isle only produced BG. The Bioware guys who actually made BG are spread about: lead designer James Ohlen is still officially on TOR (though not visible for a while), lead writer Luke Kristjanson did stuff for the DA and ME franchises, designer/writer Rob Bartel is out of the computer game business, etc.

If you mean BG2, besides the above guys, Kevin Martens is now at Blizzard (he was on D3), Brent Knowles was lead on DA:O and quit Bio because DA2 was going to be crap, and David Gaider is of course the current public face of Bioware writing.

None of these guys is on Eternity. MCA is awesome (he's basically responsible for most of PST), but he should be on the Torment project (he's not!) instead of this one.

The original Baldur's Gate was somewhat of a joint product as some guys from Black Isle did come work with the Bioware team on the game. However BG2 was a complete Bioware project while Black Isle went on to make the Icewind Dale series. You can see how the two teams have different game philosophies in how elements you ended up seeing carried on in BG into IWD didn't make it into BG2.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Who is MCA and what is the difference between dead state and State of Decay ?

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Torment: ToN is the only game Kickstarter I've ever pledged >$100 to. I'm that stoked over it. :awe:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Who is MCA
Chris Avellone, of Black Isle (Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment -- which he mostly wrote solo) and Obsidian (KOTOR2, New Vegas, bits of other games -- he wrote Kaelyn the Dove for NWN2:MOTB)

At the moment he has a secondary/consulting role on Wasteland 2 (and, if it hits the top stretch goal, the new Torment) and a primary one on Project Eternity.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I really want a good old style FFIII type RPG.

last good one i played was DragonQuest VIII for the PS2. I would love something along that line.