Exchanged my Antec EA-380W for a S12II-520W from Seasonic

May 11, 2008
Not because my Earthwatts EA-380D broke down, on the contrary, it works perfectly.
But i am expecting a new graphics card and to be on the safe side, i ordered a powersupply that can handle a bit more power. And when i do a new build, i can use my current setup that will be replaced in the future, again with the antec power supply.

I though it would be fun to do a gross measurement of power intake at the 230V inlet.
I use an energy check 3000 from voltcraft for it.
The seasonic provides 1.37x the amount of power of the antec, so it makes sense that the seasonic looses a bit on efficiency at lower power( The efficiency goes up when more power is drawn). Both are 80 plus bronze certified. I had to do some averaging myself. I do not understand why with prime 95 the numbers are a bit higher, tested it a few times.
But i have to say both work fine. And when i have the rx480 graphics card, i can do some of tests again, but only with the 520W supply. :)

The Antec EA-380D is a good supply. And i am also very pleased with the S12II-520W from Seasonic.

p.s.
Windows 10 home, i waited until windows was finished with tasks in the background.

measurements.jpg~original

edit:

Specs of my system :

4 fans : 1 CPU fan, 1 PSU fan, 2 case fans.
PSU : Seasonic S12II-520W.
SSD : Crucial_CT256M550SSD1 : 256,0 GB
HDD : WDC WD5000AAKX-00ERMA0 : 500,1 GB.
DVD writer : Optiarc.
RAM : 8GB 1600MHz ddr3 dram.
MB : GA-F2A75M-HD2
APU : A10-6700.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Now there's a person who is serious about his power supplies.......spreadsheet and all. ;)

It's amazing how energy efficient systems have become, and how little power they pull when doing normal desktop tasks. Now that you made me curious, I might just have to see what my system does in various tasks.

I do know my PC and my 25" LED monitor pull 56w at the desktop while browsing the internet. I just never looked past that.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I keep an Earthwatts 430D on hand for emergency backup or troubleshooting. I built a new rig for my wife in 2014. A10-7850K and got her an Earthwatts 380D.

I use a S12II-430 in my file server. Runs 24/7. The first one was a first generation version. Lasted five years. Just past the warranty. Replaced it with the second generation version in 2013

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I used a 500W Enhance (OEM) model, 5150GH or something like that, it was a Hot Deal, geeks.com (Remember them?) had them for like $14 ea shipped in qty after a promo code. I used them in builds, sold/used some of them for my friend's builds, and had one in my server.

Lasted about six years or so. Finally died a few months ago. Right now, I've got a RaidMax modular in there, because it comes with two 4-strings of SATA, and has ports for two more, if I borrow the cables from my other units of that same model.

Should put in my Antec Edge or something decent, I suppose. Not like it draws a lot of power. Reliability is key for a server, though, and RaidMax makes me a little nervous.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
I had an Antec Earthwatts 380W die after about 6 years (relatively light usage). Went pop one day.

Good thing I have a spare (nothing fancy, just a Corsair CX-430 I got for $19 AR).

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Now there's a person who is serious about his power supplies.......spreadsheet and all. ;)

It's amazing how energy efficient systems have become, and how little power they pull when doing normal desktop tasks. Now that you made me curious, I might just have to see what my system does in various tasks.

I do know my PC and my 25" LED monitor pull 56w at the desktop while browsing the internet. I just never looked past that.

Yeah machines are getting incredibly power efficient now. If I'm looking for a PSU now, I will be looking at this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151113

Which is more than enough to power my current system, run in the sweet spot of efficiency and great pricing too, but too bad nobody seems to bother to make those in ATX factor...because enthusiasts must have grossly overbuilt PSUs or your PC will blow up in a nuclear explosion according to the PSU memes.