Excessive use of bandwidth

digitalbuda

Jul 10, 2010
I have Centurylink as my ISP and our DSL gets 20down/0.75up but for some reason it appears that I have used an excessive amount of bandwidth
P6VeD
P6VeD.jpg

My Mother watches the kids since they were on their summer break and they watch Netflix and Youtube all day long. Even my mother also watches Netflix simultaneously (one in the bed room and one in the living room). Is 673GB normal and can Netflix and Youtube really use that much? The only other thing is online gaming and regular web surfing

The strange thing is the Upload bandwidth. They said we used 13.2GB in July on just uploading alone. The kids don't upload anything and neither do I. At most we upload a few family photos here and there but 13.2GB worth?? I don't think so, especially on a 0.75mb upload speed.

Could someone be using our network? Is there a way to find that out?

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
You need to post what type of network setup and hardware you're running; wired, wireless, modem type, router type, etc.?

Not counting your other usage; you'd have to be watching approximately six, two hour long, Netflix Movies in streaming HD every day of the month to end up with 687GB of bandwidth usage for the month of July. So unless that's how much your family is actually viewing, I'd say you've been hacked:

US Netflix bandwidth usage requirements are:

• Netflix Movies streaming in HD – These require 3.8Mbit, which results in approximately 4GB for a 2 hour movie.

• Netflix Movies (SD) - SD movies are about DVD disk size. 700Mb.

• Netflix TV Shows in beautiful HD – A typical 30 minute feature comes in at 1.5GB.

• Netflix TV Shows (SD) – Like a download, SD TV shows are about 300-400Mb.

Last edited:

digitalbuda

Jul 10, 2010
ZyXel PK5000Z DSL Modem/Router combo

Devices we have hooked up to it is:
2 computers (1 wired/1 wireless) I can post the specs if its necessary
Xbox 360, Wii (Both wireless)
Wired Blu-Ray player
Android Phone

Last edited:

digitalbuda

Jul 10, 2010
They do watch a lot and in HD. But like I told the rep, they will be returning to school since summer break is over so the usage will drop.

Thanks for the info Bubba.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Nothing surprising about that with Netflix in the mix. The upload seems high until you consider Xbox, Wii, and possibly Android. If it really is an issue then just disable HD on Netflix.

If you suspect someone else has gained access to your wireless, check the DHCP leases on the router (won't work if they used static). Verify the MAC addresses with your devices, change the password, and increase wireless security to WPA2 if it's not already.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
If your router is currently setup with Centurylink's recommended WEP configuration and the default passord, just know that an average hacker can break your password in a couple of minutes and have complete access to your network bandwidth.

If you're not familiar with setting up a secure wireless router have a look at this tutorial:

How to Setup a Secure Wireless Network Router

This is a generic tutorial that's representative of several well known router mfgs. but as routers have become more standardized, general navigation and settings will apply to your ZyXel as well.

digitalbuda

Jul 10, 2010
The kids haven't played games on the consoles in a long time, we use it for Netflix mostly. Maybe a game or 2 once a month at most.

I do use WPA2 and have set up the MAC address so only the 6 devices have access.

It's the amount of upload that is confusing me. Is there a good network monitoring software that can tell me what's using that much in uploads? I will definitely switch over to SD for now otherwise Centurylink will want me to sign up for a business account.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
If you are only watching Netflix on Xbox then you are only getting 720p and don't need to bother with the HD settings.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
They may really be watching a ton of shows/movies. You can check the account's "Recently Watched", see what they are watching, and do some math.

Another possibility for upload data is Flash games.

skyrunner

Oct 5, 2007
bioneos.com
I may be wrong here, but could the upload usage simply be the sum total of all of the ACKs for your streaming? At 1.96% of the size of the downloads, that seems reasonable to me considering I am sure that some of that total must be actual data uploads like you mentioned. If I were smart enough I could calculate the minimum upload rate required to receive 673GB of data, but I cannot remember the details of TCP/IP well enough to calculate that value, maybe someone else can?