Excercise gurus come on in..I need help

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I want to start my own home gym. I don't have time to waste going to a gym due to being on call with my Job. I would like to start with two pieces of excerise equipment that will give me both aerobic and strength training. Another thing is I would like to have portable equipment. I don't want to deal with free weights because I have no spotter. I would like some pointers on quality equipment that won't break the bank (Budget is 2000).

TIA

Ausm

scauffiel

Aug 11, 2000
Look for a Bowflex at one of the "play it again - used sports equipment" shops and an elliptical machine for aerobics.

S.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You really don't need a spotter with free weights unless you're doing one rep maximum lifts.

I've been lifting free weights for quite some time now, and I've never needed a spotter.

Plus, you can buy benches that have spotters (long bars that are adjustible to keep the weight from dropping on your chest) built in.

For cardio, I'd go with an eliptical trainer.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Check this out:

(ignore the MSRPs you can get stuff like this much cheaper)

Go here:

http://www.tuffstuff.net/welcome/retail/products/home_equip/index.html

Look at the TSS-160 Multi-Press Stand. Note the long bars sticking out? Those are your spotters. With this stand you can do flat, incline, decline and military presses... plus, it's a squat station.

Then look at this bench to go with that stand: TMP-755 Deluxe Multi-Purpose Bench

Add a lat pulldown attachment, some olympic weights, barbells and dumbells and you're set.

Commish

Jan 11, 2001
For cardio, I'd go with an eliptical trainer.

Definitely one of the best cardio options out there. Just get one of these and some free weights for upper body.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
What you need is a weight bench, and some dumbbells to bench since you don't need a spot with dumbbells. I'd buy 3 sets of dumbbells in the range of what you can do (for ex: 60's, 65's, 70's) within 10 or 20 pounds. This way, you only have to buy more weights in accordance to your progress (ex: buy 80's since you have progressed). You can also warm up with the lightest for any of the 3 chest exercises. For everything else, buy a bar with 2 pairs of 45's (1 pair if you're just starting to work out), a pair of 25's, and 2 pairs of 10's and 5's. Buy an Olympic squat rack or cage for squats and deadlifts. Your bar can also be used for curls and bent over rows for your back. You should also get an adjustable pair of dumbbells (bars and clips) so you can add and subtract weight for dumbbell curls and shoulder presses.

If you have any money left over: For cardio, I'd get a recumbent bike that keeps track of your calories and distance. If you can't afford it, just run a mile! That's all you really need...

To summarize:
1)Flat Bench (without the bar holder). Make sure this has feet that DON'T SLIDE.
2)Olympic Squat Rack/Cage like this.
3)straight bar and clips
4)2 pairs of 45's, 10's, and 5's. 1 pair of 25's. 7 pairs total. Like here.
5)pair of dumbbell bars and clips
6)Recumbent bike if you have any money left over. Like this.
7)Weight belt for squats/deadlifts/bench

As long as you're hitting the big 3 compound movements: Bench, Squat, and Deadlift (some would argue biceps and back are major as well) you can hit isolation exercises for any other muscle such as dumbbell calf raises, weighted dumbbell leg lifts for lower/upper abs (done off bench), dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell shrugs for traps, etc. The only thing you might be missing is something for your lats, but you can hit them in other ways like wide stance pushups. You won't need a spot for deadlift or squat b/c of the cage/rack, and bench you won't need a spot b/c of dumbbells.