Ex-FEMA chief profiteering

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19918356/
An analysis by NBC News of Witt Associates invoices contained in state records show that the company?s top manager in Louisiana, Mark Merritt, tallied $506,000 in billable hours over the 10-month span from September 2005 through June 2006. One of bills totaled $92,675 for a single month?s work by Merritt ? nearly as much as the state pays Gov. Blanco for the entire year. (Other monthly bills for Merritt?s work include $78,375, $80,850 and $63,800.)
Witt Associates reaps its biggest windfall, however, from billing the state double what it actually pays its subcontractors. Those 100 percent markups yield millions of dollars for Witt Associates for doing what insiders say is little more than clerical work.

Wow, It's no wonder Katrina rebuilding has cost more than other hurricane events. Sheesh.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Blanco said Witt Associates helped deliver $2.5 billion in relief money to communities hit by the storms, but she said she found it "regretful" that questions have arisen about Witt and how he won the contract.

"I am very sorry that any hint of improprieties has come upon this effort," she said.
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/...ml&storylist=louisiana

regretful that questions have arisen? How about being regretful for allowing your constituents get hosed - don't regret getting found out.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
No-bid contracts? Over-charging? No one cares?

I care, fxxking cxxk sucking crooks! :|

edit, filters didnt work :Q

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
So James Witt is a crook. Who woulda thunk? :laugh:

Not surprising this thread hasn't received much attention.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster

Americans care more about Lindsay and Richie.

We deserved to get screwed by our government if we don't care about corruption like this.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: babylon5
Originally posted by: Pabster

Americans care more about Lindsay and Richie.

We deserved to get screwed by our government if we don't care about corruption like this.

Yep, and far more Americans were upset with Miss Hilton getting out of jail than Libby getting a pardon.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I blame this on the LA Govenor. Incompetence ftl!

LaFosse says RMI paid him $18 an hour. Records show that RMI then billed Witt Associates about $50 an hour. Witt Associates subsequently billed the state $100 for that same hour of work.

?That?s what makes me angry,? LaFosse now says. ?If you?re going to do a job, do it at a fair price ? not at the taxpayers? expense.?

So $18 > $100. D@mn, that's some kinda markup. Wonder if there are any legal remedies?

Fern

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Fern
I blame this on the LA Govenor. Incompetence ftl!

LaFosse says RMI paid him $18 an hour. Records show that RMI then billed Witt Associates about $50 an hour. Witt Associates subsequently billed the state $100 for that same hour of work.

?That?s what makes me angry,? LaFosse now says. ?If you?re going to do a job, do it at a fair price ? not at the taxpayers? expense.?

So $18 > $100. D@mn, that's some kinda markup. Wonder if there are any legal remedies?

Fern

Well, it's not quite $18 to $100 since there is overhead and such involved with his employment. A company paying an employee $18 probably has atleast $25 in "costs". Then you factor in profit. So it's more fair to say $30-35 to $100.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

Yep, makes Hillary's 1000 investment which turned in to 100,000 overnight seem a bit slight by comparison.

Apparently a couple AGs are opening investigations in to Witt & Co but I won't be holding my breath.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
This kind of corruption has become "par for the course" when ever our government gets involved in anything.