EWW! Cat has tapeworms.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Jesus, I am so grossed out. The cat was on my lap tonight while I watched a movie. Cat got up and left me a little going-away present: a still-wriggling tapeworm segment on my shirt. Aww, thanks, little buddy! I almost threw up in my mouth. Checked his butt and they were all over and another was breaking out of jail, so to speak.

First thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to the store and getting de-wormer for both the cat and the dog and those two flea-ingesting beasts are going to shit their brains out while I vacuum the carpet ten times in a row, wash all the bedding in the house for humans and animals, wash every piece of clothing in the house, and drown the cat-box in Lysol.

The worst part is this is the third time he has gotten them (though that's over eight years). I swear, you miss their monthly Advantage by a week or two, and look what happens. Animals.

Blech! :disgust:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
What, all this and no pics?

How do they keep getting infected? Do the cats go out regularly? If so, maybe it's time to try to keep them inside?
That, or stop feeding them Tapewormy-O's

My cats got dewormed once, as kittens, and that was it. One died at age 14 from complications most likely caused by a stroke, and then subsequent seizures. His sister is still alive, quite frisky, and worm-free. She'll be 16 in August. They used to go outside when they were younger, but it was decided to be best to keep them inside. She'll still try to bolt outside, but she never goes too far from the house. She just loves to quick eat some grass and then puke it back up.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Jesus, I am so grossed out. The cat was on my lap tonight while I watched a movie. Cat got up and left me a little going-away present: a still-wriggling tapeworm segment on my shirt. Aww, thanks, little buddy! I almost threw up in my mouth. Checked his butt and they were all over and another was breaking out of jail, so to speak.

First thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to the store and getting de-wormer for both the cat and the dog and those two flea-ingesting beasts are going to shit their brains out while I vacuum the carpet ten times in a row, wash all the bedding in the house for humans and animals, wash every piece of clothing in the house, and drown the cat-box in Lysol.

The worst part is this is the third time he has gotten them (though that's over eight years). I swear, you miss their monthly Advantage by a week or two, and look what happens. Animals.

If you want to get rid of them rather than just decrease them to a number that aren't readily obvious you need to take the cat to a vet. OTC treatments aren't going to get rid of them completely.

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Treat your cat's fleas! That is how they get tapeworms! And go to the vet to get the better dewormer. I know it costs a little more but my cat had tapes when I took her in from the street, I went to the vet and got the prescription dewormer and never had a problem again!

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Linflas

If you want to get rid of them rather than just decrease them to a number that aren't readily obvious you need to take the cat to a vet. OTC treatments aren't going to get rid of them completely.
That's the answer.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Start putting a few drops of black walnut oil in the water dish every day.

Jun 26, 2007

That is complete bullshit, the vet does nothing but examine and charge you 3x the amount for the medicine that is about £2 for 2 doses in the UK.

And it works just as well as having the cat examined for £200 and then getting the pills for £6, the exact same pills.

Just get the OTC pills, one pill per cat, i have four housecats and two bobcats, it's worked well on all of them when they've been out eating birds and gotten worms, one pill and it's gone.

I find that the easiest way to administer them is to crush them between two spoons and mix it with yoghurt (unflavoured, cat's don't like fruit that much).

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: lizardth
Treat your cat's fleas! That is how they get tapeworms! And go to the vet to get the better dewormer. I know it costs a little more but my cat had tapes when I took her in from the street, I went to the vet and got the prescription dewormer and never had a problem again!

LOL, no, cats don't get fleas, the don't get it from mice or rabbits either, they get it from catching scavenger birds and eating them.

Your vet is going to issue the ONLY dewormer there is, in the SAME strength that you can buy OTC because it WORKS and it is the ONLY form that truly works, about 15 years ago vets had what is available OTC today.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
tape worms usually come from flea infestations, especially for cats. and depending on where you live, you can 1. Spray the yard & house. (this works in the immediate sense, but is only a quick fix) 2. Keep up the Frontline, Advantage treatments (one or the other), and 3. Bathe them regularly!

there you just got a free vet clinic visit.

edit

that's the prevention side of things, as for the tapeworms, well you better go to your vet.

btw: i'm not a vet, but worked as a tech for almost eight years.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

That is complete bullshit, the vet does nothing but examine and charge you 3x the amount for the medicine that is about £2 for 2 doses in the UK.

And it works just as well as having the cat examined for £200 and then getting the pills for £6, the exact same pills.

Just get the OTC pills, one pill per cat, i have four housecats and two bobcats, it's worked well on all of them when they've been out eating birds and gotten worms, one pill and it's gone.

I find that the easiest way to administer them is to crush them between two spoons and mix it with yoghurt (unflavoured, cat's don't like fruit that much).

Many otc pet meds have killed pets. There is not alot of control or verification on them.

Flea dips available OTC are the worst.

imported_yovonbishop

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7
What, all this and no pics?

How do they keep getting infected? Do the cats go out regularly? If so, maybe it's time to try to keep them inside?
That, or stop feeding them Tapewormy-O's

My cats got dewormed once, as kittens, and that was it. One died at age 14 from complications most likely caused by a stroke, and then subsequent seizures. His sister is still alive, quite frisky, and worm-free. She'll be 16 in August. They used to go outside when they were younger, but it was decided to be best to keep them inside. She'll still try to bolt outside, but she never goes too far from the house. She just loves to quick eat some grass and then puke it back up.

Are you sick? I don't want to see a nasty tape worm.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

LOL, no, cats don't get fleas, the don't get it from mice or rabbits either, they get it from catching scavenger birds and eating them.

Your vet is going to issue the ONLY dewormer there is, in the SAME strength that you can buy OTC because it WORKS and it is the ONLY form that truly works, about 15 years ago vets had what is available OTC today.

uh, cats do get fleas...

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

:confused:

Cats get fleas, mice and rabbits have worms and can transfer them to whatever eats them, there are multiple dewormers on the market, and yeah. You're wrong.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
In my experience with cats and tapeworms, some cats seem to be more susceptable to them than others. The cheap dewormers you can get at the pet store often do not work, and can make the pets sick. The best broad spectrum dewormer is Drontal made by Bayer.

While it is a bit pricey, it kills at least 8 different parasites and most of those may not be tested for by your vet, in the first place. You can get it online from various places for a lot less than the vets charge, too.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
That's messed up. In my 28 years of having owned over a dozen cats throughout...I have never had any cats get tapeworm. Blech, that would suck.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
In my experience with cats and tapeworms, some cats seem to be more susceptable to them than others. The cheap dewormers you can get at the pet store often do not work, and can make the pets sick. The best broad spectrum dewormer is Drontal made by Bayer.

While it is a bit pricey, it kills at least 8 different parasites and most of those may not be tested for by your vet, in the first place. You can get it online from various places for a lot less than the vets charge, too.

The active ingredient, praziquantel, is a broad spectrum anti-parasitic. Humans take the same thing when they the bugs. It's also what I would mix in with food (powder form) for infected fish I took care of at a fishery and aquarium. Prazi is like magic.