Evolution@home

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
This project seems very unpopular to me: it only achieved 25 CPU-years in over a year!
Has anyone of you tried it yet? If so, what do you think of it?

The biggest letdown is probably that you have to send the results back manually...
Someone suggested to use Boinc for Evo@Home, however it doesn't satisfy the needs of the project according to the admin.

Please let me know what you think of it/heard of it.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Just what you wrote. Needs a lot of babysitting, which doesn't really make it feasible for fleets.

Other than that, I never really read anything about it. Did they publish any of their findings, if there are any?

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
I did evo@home for a couple of months on a pc or two. You have to download a simulator and the wu. You can select wus taking from a couple of days to finish to ones taking a couple of months. Run the simulator and manually mail the results back, maunually dl a new wu and run the sim again. The simulator runs in a dos window, but the was a utility by one of the other teams with a lot of helpful options and info. It's nice since moving up in the stats is pretty easy, but the non automated thing can get a little bothersome when compared to other projects. I'm not sure about the scientific side of the project.