Evil Within 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
fired this up earlier this morning just to see how it ran; it DOES support ultrawide monitors.

aside from one of the settings, which is TBD, that completely annihilated my framerate the game runs very well on Vega 64. very cool intro, if a bit unoriginal, but I'm looking forward to playing it after I finish the original in 1080p form on the big screen.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
fired this up earlier this morning just to see how it ran; it DOES support ultrawide monitors.

aside from one of the settings, which is TBD, that completely annihilated my framerate the game runs very well on Vega 64. very cool intro, if a bit unoriginal, but I'm looking forward to playing it after I finish the original in 1080p form on the big screen.
Yes sir! that's good to hear. Post an update as you go. So far I am on Ch-6 on EW2 and no complaints so far. Only thing I wish I could have waited until next year for price to drop sub $20 but I didn't want to wait.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Started playing this when I got the time this week. It's damn good... but definitely not as gritty and dark as the first. That's okay though, because I really like how the game is structured and it looks nice and pretty too. There's plenty to do and I like that it retained basically the same upgrade system and inventory--with a few enhancements and tweaks.

it's almost like a more realistic and version of Dying Light when it comes to exploring and looting, without the freerunning obstacles and stunts lol.

the story is a bit convoluted and scattered but it doesn't hamper how great the game feels. also, for a 3rd person shooter the mouse and keyboard work perfect, feels tight and responsive. the environment is semi-randomized too so that's a neat feature for the completionist and rerun gamers.

will definitely keep playing; I think it's more fun than the first one too

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Started playing this when I got the time this week. It's damn good... but definitely not as gritty and dark as the first. That's okay though, because I really like how the game is structured and it looks nice and pretty too. There's plenty to do and I like that it retained basically the same upgrade system and inventory--with a few enhancements and tweaks.

it's almost like a more realistic and version of Dying Light when it comes to exploring and looting, without the freerunning obstacles and stunts lol.

the story is a bit convoluted and scattered but it doesn't hamper how great the game feels. also, for a 3rd person shooter the mouse and keyboard work perfect, feels tight and responsive. the environment is semi-randomized too so that's a neat feature for the completionist and rerun gamers.

will definitely keep playing; I think it's more fun than the first one too

Yea! Evil Within 2 is great! I am taking it slow because I don't want to beat it in 2 days so I am playing for about an hour a day lol maybe 2. Some days I don't play just because I want to Milk it and make it last on my first play through. I absolutely agree the game looks very nice! I love how it looks. And True! its not as gritty and dark as the first one at all, but I really like it!

I bought Dying Light few weeks ago and its pretty good too.

Only down side to EW2 is that I bought it for $35 and its on sale now for around $28 lol oh well.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Pretty good so far, I am up to Chapter 4. Not as scary as the first but maybe most people are just used to the horror genre. The ghost following you around did make me jump a bit though! The movement is better but I'm really liking the stealth combat, free roam and the weapons good enough (where you are not overpowered). I try to massacre everything and leave nothing behind :D. Too bad about the performance issues though, I have a GTX 970 and was gonna upgrade to a 1080. Looks like people are still having problems with frame rates not being up where they are supposed to be.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
sadly, I think I'm near the end of the game now. I won't spoil anything but I'm glad they finally addressed a question I (and probably everyone else) had with that last projector slide. pretty cool.

as for the performance issues, disabling one of the engine's rendering settings immediately boosted my framerate on Vega. it was super choppy @ 4K but now it's great.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Just finished it, awesome game! Really lived up to what I wanted it to be and then some. First one was more creepy, horrifying and feeling helpless. This time around its more stealth, firepower and slaughtering monsters. I loved the open feel of Union. Explore everywhere and kill everything! :)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Just finished it, awesome game! Really lived up to what I wanted it to be and then some. First one was more creepy, horrifying and feeling helpless. This time around its more stealth, firepower and slaughtering monsters. I loved the open feel of Union. Explore everywhere and kill everything! :)
To be honest? I loved the horrifying and feeling helpless aspect of the first one, hands down the only reason I bought #2 was because of that when I noticed it wasn't like that it was a little bit disappointing but after a while it grew in me, and I started liking it a lot. I think they are both excellent games, but #1 was definitely very dark compared to TEW2.

I don't think I would have gotten it on Release if I would have known it wasn't as scary and dark, but you learn from these mistakes, regardless it turned out to be a very good game. I am ready for a dark game to come out like The Evil Within 1 that's why its my favorite Horror game, I Love it!
Resident Evil 7 wasn't dark either but I enjoyed the story.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Finished TEW2 earlier tonight... like a lot of games I play I was kind of losing interest toward the end. Not a lot, but I seemed to enjoy the earlier chapters of the game a bit more. The ending sequence(s) seemed to drag out a little longer than I would have liked but the final "boss" was at least gruesome enough to excite me, despite being a pushover. I also thought the little tribute toward the original game was kind of cool, though perhaps a little unimaginative.

overall, great game... wish there was more of Union and the Marrow to explore though, but a satisfactory amount nonetheless

my clear time was 16:31:49 on survivor difficulty (normal) and that was taking my sweet time trying the completionist approach, so the game might be considered short for some people.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
To be honest? I loved the horrifying and feeling helpless aspect of the first one, hands down the only reason I bought #2 was because of that when I noticed it wasn't like that it was a little bit disappointing but after a while it grew in me, and I started liking it a lot. I think they are both excellent games, but #1 was definitely very dark compared to TEW2.

I don't think I would have gotten it on Release if I would have known it wasn't as scary and dark, but you learn from these mistakes, regardless it turned out to be a very good game. I am ready for a dark game to come out like The Evil Within 1 that's why its my favorite Horror game, I Love it!
Resident Evil 7 wasn't dark either but I enjoyed the story.

After finishing TEW2, I restarted the first one. Now I remember why I hated it so much and a big NOPE. Even though I remember how everything goes I still cant get through some parts without getting supremely annoyed. Example the Ruvik sequence, he spawns randomly in the same room as you with no escape and kills you instantly. Another time, I ran pretty far away from him and hid in closet and he still found me. Some bullshit right there, its not based on skilled gameplay. Either that or you are are forced to run away. I guess I just like open games and hate being made to play it a specific way. It annoys me even more that it would've been a great game just like the second if it didn't have all the forced gameplay and stupid boss battles like that giant wactchamacallit in the garage. What else, those stupid puzzles I remember. I finished it eventually but not after dying like a million times which was extremely aggravating. Now, I got up to Chapter 9 and I am going to uninstall it, not even worth my time to rage over. The second one definitely fixed everything that was wrong with the first, I think I might just go do a third playthrough now. :)