EVGA step up

brokEN2

Oct 6, 2011
www.cbcast.com
Quick question regarding EVGA Step up. I purchased a GTX 970 for $150 from my local tigerdirect that is closing and I see EVGA offers a step up to the 980 and can pay the difference that is on their site. So will they say the difference of the price that I actually purchased the card for which was a steal or priced from what the MSRP is?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
They go by the price you paid. You have to upload an invoice/receipt when you register the card.

Edit - Do they have any more 970s at that price? Want to buy me one? :D

brokEN2

Oct 6, 2011
www.cbcast.com
They go by the price you paid. You have to upload an invoice/receipt when you register the card.

Edit - Do they have any more 970s at that price? Want to buy me one? :D

Thank you thats what I figured but it kept saying EVGA site so I wasnt sure and Nope it was literally the last one haha

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
That's an INCREDIBLE deal, even more so if it is a FTW.

However, if you stepup you pay based on your actual paid price...which (correct me if I am wrong) would come out as that you would pay normal price for a GTX 980. (Minus the $150 which is being credited to you).

Which means, although you got a very good deal on a 970, you will end up not having saved anything. You could have bought a 970 ANYWHERE and would end up paying the price what EVGA charges for a 980, regardless.

Then it would ultimately be better you keep this card or re-sell it, rather than stepup.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
You'd almost be better off selling your 970 at profit then putting the profit into a 980... a bit of a Ferengi move, but your best option if the wonderful 970 just isn't enough. ;)

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Keep it or sell it for a profit... either way you still win!

main reason is because the step up is the difference in the price you pay - they make you upload invoice to verify.