News EVGA releases yet another power supply.........the 'GA' series (Updated with new "GT" series)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.evga.com/articles/01340/evga-ga-psu/

I just received an email from them announcing this new series. I have no idea who makes it.

- 10 year warranty
- All-Japanese capacitors
- Full DC - to - DC w/ LLC Resonant converter
- 135mm double ball-bearing fan
- Eco mode button

When I Googled to see if I could find any additional info on it, I came across a post on their forums announcing it. One of the user's response kind of sums up how I feel trying to keep track of all their various models anymore :p

https://forums.evga.com/Introducing-the-EVGA-GA-Power-Supplies-m3009651.aspx

5.jpg

June 3, 2019 Update:

The "GT" series just announced.

https://eu.evga.com/articles/01406/evga-gt-psu/

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
They forgot the GD series, with captive cables. (Budget Gold series)
Heck, I made a thread about the GD series when it launched, and I even forgot about it until now. :p

Too many models and variations to remember / keep track of.

Byte

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2000
Currently EVGA is using FSP (Fortron) on all their top end power supplies which is a shame as Super Flower in the G1, G2, G3 were amazing. I have all of them running great in 24/7 70%+ loads for the last 3-5 years.

FSP power supplies use the lowest end Active Clamp topography to save costs so they have less than ideal transient response.

Better to stick with Corsair (half bridge topography) or Seasonic (full bridge) for now as Super Flowers (half bridge) are very hard to find at good prices.

Reactions: DigDog

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Byte

Agreed. Until I see them going back to Super Flower, I'm not recommending their latest models to anyone. G2s/P2s are awesome, G3s are pretty good, anything else . . . meh.

Reactions: Steltek

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
Actually, that's not true. Just the G5 is FSP. The GA is Andyson.
PAD01 from what i know, to be exact
Better to stick with Corsair (half bridge topography) or Seasonic (full bridge) for now as Super Flowers (half bridge) are very hard to find at good prices.
corsair uses full bridge and double forward too.... seasonic uses half bridge and double forwards as well, as superflower also uses double forward and full bridge on their psus...
urrently EVGA is using FSP (Fortron) on all their top end power supplies which is a shame as Super Flower in the G1, G2, G3 were amazing.
look at hydro ptm, dark power pro 11, straight power 11 and say that again... FSP can make very good stuff

superflower really isn't the only one that can make good psus, evga just selects weird platforms to do so
They forgot the GD series, with captive cables. (Budget Gold series)
as well as GM, g2l, gt, g7 (i mean... it is registed at 80+?), g1 and GT

welcome to the enormous line of EVGA PSUs

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Actually, that's not true. Just the G5 is FSP. The GA is Andyson.
Damn, the rumors were not true! I heard you were abducted by aleins to work on their power supplies.......welcome back@!1 Can you feel the love??

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
^^ NICE. Remember the PC Power & Cooling PSUS from 10+ years ago? (shame, they're gone)

Would the Seasonic FX (aka GX) series be equivalent to them in terms of good quality?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
^^ NICE. Remember the PC Power & Cooling PSUS from 10+ years ago? (shame, they're gone)

Would the Seasonic FX (aka GX) series be equivalent to them in terms of good quality?
Not that this has anything to do with the confusing naming of the current EVGA power supply lineup, but Seasonic Focus and Prime power supplies are among the best choices out there. :)

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
basically, gx and fx are very close

FX was the 2017 batch, the GX the 2019

they redesigned the psu externally, and did some small changes internally

but most importantly, those ripple issues we saw at pceva seem to be fully gone now

Nessism

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
Bought a 750 G2 for my son's rig a couple days ago based on positive feedback (and good price off ebay.) Subjective rating is very high after install. Glad I found this thread to confirm PS quality before throwing down the $. There is lots of junk out there and it's difficult to know what to buy without some knowledge (from threads like this.)

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
Bumping this instead of creating a new thread since EVGA releases so many different models anymore. Introducing the "GT" series:

https://eu.evga.com/articles/01406/evga-gt-psu/
Okay, who sources the GT and has it been reviewed yet?
this has no confirmation from EVGA, but that looks a suspicious lot like a HEC TPK, most famously used in the Cougar GX-F

most ironic part? that would make this thing better than their "flagship" G5

edit: images
1591280468104.png1591280475094.png

upper is the GX-F, lower is GT

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Okay, who sources the GT and has it been reviewed yet?
Most of EVGA's newest units don't get reviewed, and if they do, it is usually many months after they are released.

I believe the days of them sending their units out to get reviewed are over. It really stinks because back in the G2/G3 days, all the big hardware reviews sites had detailed info pretty much right away.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
this has no confirmation from EVGA, but that looks a suspicious lot like a HEC TPK, most famously used in the Cougar GX-F

most ironic part? that would make this thing better than their "flagship" G5

edit: images
View attachment 22208View attachment 22209

upper is the GX-F, lower is GT

Umm... TPK isn't that great.

It's a low cost Gold. I've assessed it for use at Corsair and from a cost/performance stand point, it's lower than TX-M and RM (non X).

All they did was just throw a bunch of Japanese caps in there (TPK by default comes with Chinese caps).

Last edited by a moderator:

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
Umm... TPK isn't that great.

It's a low cost Gold. I've assessed it for use at Corsair and from a cost/performance stand point, it's lower than TX-M and RM (non X).

All they did was just throw a bunch of Japanese caps in there (TPK by default comes with Chinese caps).
out of curiosity, I assume you had a sample direct from HEC/Cougar here and not the GT itself?

and looking outside of price for a moment... wouldn't TPK be better than TX-M looking at it without a value standpoint? and wouldn't that be better than the ACRF platform used in G5, making my point that most, if not all current EVGA units would be worse (being afaik GA, G5, GD, GQ and G1+ for ATX, since G2/G3/P2/T2/PS/GS are out of production)?

and if it is, where would you say TPK lacks? all I see is it being worse on low-load efficiency, but overall performing decently enough given it's pricerange

Last edited by a moderator:

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
Most of EVGA's newest units don't get reviewed, and if they do, it is usually many months after they are released.
EVGA doesn't seem to be too keen to send them out either... the last major coverages were G5 and GM, with G5 being underwhelming and GM being good, just not a great value against Focus SGX and Corsair SF

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
out of curiosity, I assume you had a sample direct from HEC/Cougar here and not the GT itself?

and looking outside of price for a moment... wouldn't TPK be better than TX-M looking at it without a value standpoint? and wouldn't that be better than the ACRF platform used in G5, making my point that most, if not all current EVGA units would be worse (being afaik GA, G5, GD, GQ and G1+ for ATX, since G2/G3/P2/T2/PS/GS are out of production)?

and if it is, where would you say TPK lacks? all I see is it being worse on low-load efficiency, but overall performing decently enough given it's pricerange

We don't know for sure that the GT is TPK, but if it is, it's a value proposition.

It would make sense for it to be HEC's TPK, though. Especially if they're selling in the U.S. HEC does SKD PSU assembly in Taiwan, so they can say "made in Taiwan" and this gets around the 25% tariff on goods from China.

We have the TPK in house, and while it's a nice PSU (I'd use it), it lacks the voltage regulation and ripple suppression of either TX-M or RM.

If I needed another Gold PSU to fix in between CX-M And TX-M, the TPK would be in contention.

About the Cougar GT: It's entirely likely that the GT is an upgraded version of TPK. But EVGA doesn't have PSU engineers. Only buyers. They're going to go with the most off-the-shelf solutions for time to market (no EVT, DVT or DMTBF needed if leveraging a product already in MP as-is).

Reactions: LukeSavenije