EVGA nForce 680i On-Board Audio any Good?

theYipster

Nov 16, 2005
Hi all,

Quick question. I have Vista x64 installed with a Sound Blaster X-Fi card. Fortunately, the card works with the latest drivers without issue, but much of the feature set that was present in XP is missing in Vista (and who knows how long it will take for Creative to bring it back.) My 680i motherboard supports HD audio and supposedly has much better support in Vista right now. My question is whether or not, from a sound quality perspective, it would be worth switching to on-board audio (at least until Creative's drivers mature?)

What are people's impressions with the on-board audio? Is it worth the switch?

Thanks,

Mark.

BoboKatt

Nov 18, 2004
Originally when I bought my eVGA 680 I was using my SB X-FI and I had some issues. Those might have been corrected in later BIOS revisions but I was one of the first to buy that board (first day) and I never got it to work with the SB.

Anyhow I switched to the onboard and honestly -- I never noted a difference. I am not the world's greatest nut about music and such but I am at a point that even though they probably did fix the issue with the X-FI and 680, I wont bother going back to installing the card -- i.e. I am staying on the onboard.

Games sound great.. life is good. I don't ask for much :)

nippyjun

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Personally i find that the onboard sound on all the motherboards i've used for the last several years including the 680i are fine. I'm no audiophile though.