EVGA GTX 670 = Dead

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
EVGA's support is going to the dogs and their warranty is average with an improved warranty version costing even more money = cash grab.

Buy Asus imo.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I just got off the phone with an another rep this morning at EVGA. He was literally getting mad at me because I couldn't hear him over the phone that well. He set up the advanced RMA and then asked me if there was any physical damage to the card. I told him that when I got the card I noticed the corner of the PCB had a 'slight' chip in it from the factory. Then he goes, well, we will need to review this and see if it gets approved for an RMA.. I said, "well I didn't chip the card, the chip is right up against the fan blower so how can I damage that??" What ever, its like talking to a wall with these guys. I told him to cancel the RMA and my registration and I'm taking it to Amazon.

ajaxsirius

May 11, 2012
Maybe it's a bit off topic, but if EVGA are having problems with their PCBs, which brand GTX 670 would you recommend? I'm think about getting a 2GB one, stock or overclocked doesn't matter.

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Rvenger --- I have another 7970 for you --- come back to the Red side!!!!! :)

(sry to hear 'bout your troubles)

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
Rvenger --- I have another 7970 for you --- come back to the Red side!!!!! :)

(sry to hear 'bout your troubles)

I wish AMD had better drivers I would come back to the red side. BF3 performance is terrible and thats mainly what I play.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
Just got off the phone with EVGA tech support. He said these cards don't have issues and I don't have a superclocked version so I can't step up either. I will be getting the same defective reference model back. I told him I was just going to return to Amazon and get a Windforce 670 and he told me to go ahead. lol

Oh well, looks like EVGA lost a customer.

Precisely why I returned mine. Though they have not instituted a recall for the vanilla 670, I saw enough of the same issues being reported on their forums to give me pause.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I tried to tell you bro. Evga is utter garbage anymore. I feel bad for anyone who wastes money on there products

Is that just for this generation?

All of my cards in that past have been EVGA, and I have had zero problems.
Currently I have two 560 Ti (2GB models) in SLI, OC with over-volt, and the only problems I get are with various driver issues (though 301.24 has been amazing for me).

I've always stuck with EVGA for this very reason: their cards, including the most recent generation, have been amazing.

Maybe the trick with them is to steer away from Reference? I don't think I've ever owned a true reference card from them... could that be something?

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Is that just for this generation?

All of my cards in that past have been EVGA, and I have had zero problems.
Currently I have two 560 Ti (2GB models) in SLI, OC with over-volt, and the only problems I get are with various driver issues (though 301.24 has been amazing for me).

I've always stuck with EVGA for this very reason: their cards, including the most recent generation, have been amazing.

Maybe the trick with them is to steer away from Reference? I don't think I've ever owned a true reference card from them... could that be something?

Its more the company then the products but look from the P67 lineup forward. The motherboards have gotten progressively worse. Evga is not the company it used to be

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I tried to tell you bro. Evga is utter garbage anymore. I feel bad for anyone who wastes money on there products

You're out of line with this comment. EVGA has probably the best customer service in the industry and there is NOTHING wrong with their products. Anyone, and I do mean anyone...can get a bad card and any manufacturer can have an issue. You think Gigabyte has a perfect track record? I remember a whole slew of motherboards having random reboot issues and lockups and not reading many good brands of memory a couple years ago. Are they garbage because of that one issue? NO, not at all...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Vanilla Evga GTX 670 uses the same reference PCB as the EVGA SC GTX 670 (They both look like a VHS tape)? If that is the case the vanilla one should have the same issues too, especially when trying to overclock...

The PCB is the same from the SC to reference but the BIOS is different.

Evga=overrated.

Ref designs for more money. Pass. Got burned by them before and their shyster rma process. Better make sure you have invoices, receipts and blood from your first born before they'll even consider a rma.

First off reference design should technically mean no overclock. Shyster RMA? Explain how...they don't ask anything too much. You register your card, take a picture of your invoice or receipt and upload it to them and they will always keep it on file. No fuss. They have never failed to issue me an RMA. I even had a motherboard from them that lit on fire (680i SLI board) because the design caused a short on the power connector. The new revisions fixed the problem and they didn't ask me any questions. They shipped me a new revision board and didn't try to get out of it. I've had other companies tell me to take a hike when their boards died without such a catastrophic issue.

EVGA's support is going to the dogs and their warranty is average with an improved warranty version costing even more money = cash grab.

Buy Asus imo.

The EVGA 3 years warranty is more than enough. Find me another Nvidia manufacturer that offers you 3 years and then offers you to buy an extended warranty. Most will just tell you 3 years and you're SOL. What's more...you probably will replace the card long before the warranty period expires.

I know I sound like I'm defending EVGA and in a way I am. In no way are they a bad company because of one issue. You are just not being fair. If all the issues were with Gigabyte cards you'd be telling people to buy EVGA instead I'm sure.

After reading into the problem it's not even EVGA's fault. Some of the chips and boards sent from Nvidia are bad so any reference card could be affected anyway. EVGA, MSI, Galaxy etc reference design boards are not built by them. The issue goes back on the supply chain before EVGA receives anything.

Last edited:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Its more the company then the products but look from the P67 lineup forward. The motherboards have gotten progressively worse. Evga is not the company it used to be

When they debuted the motherboard line, I steered well clear of that, for many reasons.

A video card company entering the motherboard market? No thanks. I'll stick with the motherboard manufacturers that have been at it for awhile.
That, and their motherboards seem to never have the same overclocking potential and stability as some of the offerings of the mainstay manufacturers. Maybe that has changed in recent times, I haven't paid much attention.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
When they debuted the motherboard line, I steered well clear of that, for many reasons.

A video card company entering the motherboard market? No thanks. I'll stick with the motherboard manufacturers that have been at it for awhile.
That, and their motherboards seem to never have the same overclocking potential and stability as some of the offerings of the mainstay manufacturers. Maybe that has changed in recent times, I haven't paid much attention.

The chipset they used from Intel was the problem, their BIOS didn't play nice with it. They overnighted a replacement to anyone who had problems. They also were very public about it. No hiding behind lawyers.

Some of their motherboards were compared to the famed DFI Lanparty series for their stability when pushed to the edge. They were more expensive though.

Either way my point is they always are up front with their customers and don't try to brush things aside and downplay any issues.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I have used only EVGA for the Nvidia cards I bought and haven't had any issues. Any manufacturer has issues, I've had two ASUS sound cards go bad, one motherboard sent back for being DOA from ASUS, one monitor go out and need to be RMA'd from ASUS and finally a second P67 ASUS mobo sent to the dustbin for being unstable and problematic.

MSI makes far superior motherboards for me right now. If you build enough computers and enjoy being an enthusiast you're going to run into problems regardless of which manufacturer you buy from, the big thing to me is how good their RMA process is and how good the customer support is. ASUS was great fixing the monitor and getting it back out to me quickly.

CANON on the other hand didn't want to fix a printer I had from them because it broke 1 day after their warranty ended. I won't buy from them again. Were they technically correct? Sure, by 1 day. Did they make the right decision? Well, they lost me as a customer and I won't ever recommend them for anything again and I own a few of their cameras.

EVGA sounds like they were doing the right thing and I'm not sure why the OP was QQing.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
After reading into the problem it's not even EVGA's fault. Some of the chips and boards sent from Nvidia are bad so any reference card could be affected anyway. EVGA, MSI, Galaxy etc reference design boards are not built by them. The issue goes back on the supply chain before EVGA receives anything.

Well, I have zero confidence in Nvidia's QA but I wonder if it's not just because the 670 is probably the most expensive 'cheap' card for a long time if the photos of the PCB and VRMs are anything to go by. $400 card built like one at half that price (aside from the cooler I guess).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know, but EVGA was making sure that any cards that wouldn't work right are replaced.

From what I have gleamed...rumor is the GTX 670s are actually GTX 680s that don't quite make the cut so they shut off some of the shaders and clock it back. It might be more complicated than that, but it might explain why some GTX 670 cards match GTX 680 performance. This isn't new though...many cards can be unlocked. I have a HS6950 that unlocks to 6970.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
I don't know, but EVGA was making sure that any cards that wouldn't work right are replaced.

From what I have gleamed...rumor is the GTX 670s are actually GTX 680s that don't quite make the cut so they shut off some of the shaders and clock it back. It might be more complicated than that, but it might explain why some GTX 670 cards match GTX 680 performance. This isn't new though...many cards can be unlocked. I have a HS6950 that unlocks to 6970.

Of course the 670s are 'failed' 680s since Nvidia are totally short of actual 680s atm. Later during the life of these cards when 680 yields have improved enough they will eventually take perfectly good 680s and laser cut them.

But no, comment was about the quality of the card not the chip. Any chip which gets binned as a 670 goes into a different board (well reference boards anyhow - custom AIB ones don't have to be).

I imagine that chips can fail to make the cut as a 680 cut due leakage and not just defects in a shader block. With the earlier 6950s I think AMD didn't laser the shaders off but even then it was of course YMMV and when running as 6970 the chip may require a higher voltage and draw more power.

Last edited:

chloros

Feb 1, 2011
Why don't the mods shut this thread down? This is pure BS and misleading. Its pretty clear the OP does not know how to handle a return.

Chloros, this isn't your thread to decide to close
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
EVGA is a great company as a whole... it is just some CSR are obviously not very friendly or know the correct way to say or do things... some are frustrated because they find themselves being taken advantage by customers that know/try to work the system...

Back when I used to work as a tech support/customer service for D-Link, some CSR say the weirdest thing and some should not even be a CSR the first place...

If all else fail, just try to get a hold of Jacob or Joe from EVGA...

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
EVGA is a great company as a whole... it is just some CSR are obviously not very friendly or know the correct way to say or do things... some are frustrated because they find themselves being taken advantage by customers that know/try to work the system...

Back when I used to work as a tech support/customer service for D-Link, some CSR say the weirdest thing and some should not even be a CSR the first place...

If all else fail, just try to get a hold of Jacob or Joe from EVGA...

I thought Jacob was gone from EVGA

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
Its pretty clear the OP does not know how to handle a return.

Really, where in my post does it show that I do I not know how to handle a return? Next time think before you attack someone. If you actually looked in the EVGA forums you will see issues with the non SC version of the card as well. These reference models seem to have issues of some kind.

I just didn't appreciate argumentative customer service from EVGA. It just so happens that the 2 reps I spoke to were just not glad to handle my request and preferred me to go to Amazon instead.

Mods please close this thread.

Last edited:

chloros

Feb 1, 2011
Really, where in my post does it show that I do I not know how to handle a return? Next time think before you attack someone.

I just didn't appreciate argumentative customer service from EVGA. It just so happens that the 2 reps I spoke to were just not glad to handle my request and preferred me to go to Amazon instead.

If you are in the return window from Amazon then why go through the trouble with EVGA....if your card broke after the return window then EVGA will replace under warranty. What am i missing here. You just come out and bash EVGA? Had this been a case where they didnt want to honor your warranty then this would be a good thread.

Yes...please close this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
If you are in the return window from Amazon then why go through the trouble with EVGA....if your card broke after the return window then EVGA will replace under warranty. What am i missing here. You just come out and bash EVGA? Had this been a case where they didnt want to honor your warranty then this would be a good thread.

Yes...please close this thread.

No, in my first post I didn't even bash EVGA. I owned mostly all EVGA nvidia based cards. There customer service was superb in the past. Now they seem arrogant. Why I wanted to go through EVGA? Because there aren't any GTX 670s available. I wanted to see if I can step up but the queue was too high for the 680 and they wouldn't upsell me a FTW 670.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Really, where in my post does it show that I do I not know how to handle a return? Next time think before you attack someone. If you actually looked in the EVGA forums you will see issues with the non SC version of the card as well. These reference models seem to have issues of some kind.

Problem was you claimed "I'll be getting the same defective reference model back". They offered to replace your card and you weren't happy with that. That's not EVGA's fault whatsoever. The SC cards have a legitimate issue, the non overclocked ones do not. Also, if you overclocked it too far and that "broke" it it's not their responsibility either. However, nobody would turn away a return for that unless it was something obvious you modified.

So return it to Amazon, that is your option. Amazon has a good return policy. Don't blame EVGA because you were not happy with getting a new card that would work. You always could have just returned it to Amazon in the first place. As far as I'm concerned they didn't have to offer FTW cards to replace the SC cards but they are and that's great. I bet Gigabyte wouldn't replace reference models with windforce would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.