EVGA GTX 480 Backplate mini review w/pics

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Hopefully this isn't too much a sleeper.. just wanted to share some quick pics. It's a nicely designed add-on. Enjoy..

The plate arrives in a bubble pouch, wrapped in cling film. Also included is a color installation page and bag of screws which will replace eight specific ones removed from pcb:
IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

The backplate has a nice brushed finish, quality standoffs, little spacer bumps, and a good size thermal pad. The pad is soft and will gently engulf a sizeable area behind the GPU, wicking away a bit of heat and spreading it across the backplate. Temp drop is very minor; but it's nice to know the backplate has some functionality:
IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

A trick to removing the foam strip.. point a hair dryer at it for a minute or two. Then peel an end away, insuring the adhesive is coming off with the strip. Afterwards, simply follow installation instructions. In a few minutes ur done. Here are mine.. :)
IMG_0401.jpg

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
You also have the highflow bracket?

Any difference in temps using the backplate?

I wish I could get the GTX470 backplate, but EVGA doesn't ship outside of NA :(

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
You also have the highflow bracket?

Any difference in temps using the backplate?

I wish I could get the GTX470 backplate, but EVGA doesn't ship outside of NA :(

I didn't get the high flow bracket, just the backplates. I believe the high flow bracket helps by opening up the airflow path so less air finds its way out of the side vent on the cooling shround which vents into the case. I have a large amount of air flowing across the cards internally so there's little opportunity for the shroud vent exaust to build up around the cards. Sure I'd use them, but didn't feel they'd make much a difference in my case. For those with less airflow around the cards internally (or with lower volume case exaust), the high flow bracket may prove more beneficial.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
That should be standard with the shipping boards.
They put a foam strip on the back to prevent the heatsink on front from touching (and shorting out!) the board on the back when you have back to back mounted cards in 3X/4X SLI. This prevents that entirely. If those pipes weren't there it would look almost like a 295. ;)

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Thanks! They are quite sexy.

I agree a 1000% Ruby. The foam strip seems ludicrous in comparision regarding short prevention. Too bad the plates aren't standard.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Looks nice! I just wish they didn't cover up the fan opening. I know it is perforated, but being completely open just in that area would have been nice.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I got hte high flow backplate. TOo lazy to install it.

Same with this one.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
hm so how much did this cost?

I believe it's around $20.

Note based on the model purchased, the backplate and highflow bracket may already come installed.

Reading at the EVGA forums, it doesn't offer any real thermal improvement and is more just for aesthetics.

I recently installed the Highflow bracket and found my temps decreased by a couple of degrees.

M020-00-000171_LG_8.jpg

Last edited:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
No before and after temps. :(

Have you replaced the stock TIM?

I have replaced the stock TIM. Temp difference is very minimial, a degree or two.

@ Zap, I wish they didn't cover the fan cutout either; but there's a bit of clearance between pcb and plate. With that and the holes, I'm betting the cutout is grabbing nealry the same amount of air.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I can see the backplate costing extra,

But the bracket should have been included in the original purchase.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I can see the backplate costing extra,

But the bracket should have been included in the original purchase.

It's free if you bought a GTX 470/480 EVGA card and it didn't come with the card, however, you do need to pay for shipping.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Are they going to have backplates like this for 580 users as well?
As much as these cards cost the entire PCB should be enclosed. My original 280 (EVGA) was.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
A GTX 580 with backplate, high flow bracket and replacement of the orginal TIM (with some IC Diamond maybe?) Should decrease load temps dramatically.

chris89

Dec 28, 2010
the pics don't work and i'm really interested in seeing the installation. Are there quite a few thermal pads to install? Since evga stopped making the gtx 470 backplate and the ek backplate is for the waterblock, i'm going to be custom engineering my own preforated copper backplates for my gtx 470s in sli. Please get the pics working, thanks.