EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super SC = No Joy = SOLVED

Ho72

Mar 25, 2014
www.howardowen.net
Tried to upgrade my older machine (Asus Z77-V Pro, 3770K) from a GTX 750 ti to the card in the title. The computer has UEFI capability but boots in legacy mode. Wasn't sure if that would be an issue and could not find definitive info either online or from EVGA (whose tech did not seem to know if their card would work with a legacy bios or not). Really?

I took the plunge anyway.

Short version: Computer boots but is using the Microsoft Basic video driver while the new card is listed as an Unknown Device. Since the card is not identified, nv drivers will not install (no compatible hardware found) and no amount of prodding on my part did anything to fix this.

Am I hosed or is there hope?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You may have to reinstall in UEFI mode, but there may be ways around that. That said, what OS are you running and did you try updating the motherboard's EFI?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Ho72

Mar 25, 2014
www.howardowen.net
You may have to reinstall in UEFI mode, but there may be ways around that. That said, what OS are you running and did you try updating the motherboard's EFI?
It's a dual boot (Windows 8.1 & 10). The last bios/EFI update was released in 2013. As I said, it's a Z77 board so support ended long ago.

Ho72

Mar 25, 2014
www.howardowen.net
SOLUTION
Short version, UEFI/BIOS changes:
1. Changed Primary Graphics to PCIe from Auto. Auto should have been fine, but...
2. Changed boot setting to UEFI for PCIe. I'm not really booting from PCIe per se, but I don't really understand UEFI, so what the hell.

Those two changes made Windows 8 happy as a clam. I previously had uninstalled the 750 Ti and drivers, rebooted to make the UEFI changes and the Nvidia installer had no complaints -- even though Device Manager showed PCI device Yellow Circle Exclamation Point!. Oddly, this is still true after the driver install and correct identification of the card under Display adapters. Someone let me know if I care about this.

Then I booted into Windows 10.

Windows 10 did not give two shits about the UEFI changes, the NV installer could find no compatible hardware. I made one more change (under Secure Boot, changed from Windows UEFI to Other OS). Same result, a big FU from the NV installer. So, on a whim, I downloaded the NV Studio Driver and it immediately liked what it saw and ran. This is pretty odd since I downloaded the latest Game Ready drivers just before today's session began. I really don't know why the Studio version worked, but it's my preference anyway since I'm all about content creation and not gaming.

Reactions: Ranulf

tamorim

Feb 28, 2020
SOLUTION
Short version, UEFI/BIOS changes:
1. Changed Primary Graphics to PCIe from Auto. Auto should have been fine, but...
2. Changed boot setting to UEFI for PCIe. I'm not really booting from PCIe per se, but I don't really understand UEFI, so what the hell.

Those two changes made Windows 8 happy as a clam. I previously had uninstalled the 750 Ti and drivers, rebooted to make the UEFI changes and the Nvidia installer had no complaints -- even though Device Manager showed PCI device Yellow Circle Exclamation Point!. Oddly, this is still true after the driver install and correct identification of the card under Display adapters. Someone let me know if I care about this.

Then I booted into Windows 10.

Windows 10 did not give two shits about the UEFI changes, the NV installer could find no compatible hardware. I made one more change (under Secure Boot, changed from Windows UEFI to Other OS). Same result, a big FU from the NV installer. So, on a whim, I downloaded the NV Studio Driver and it immediately liked what it saw and ran. This is pretty odd since I downloaded the latest Game Ready drivers just before today's session began. I really don't know why the Studio version worked, but it's my preference anyway since I'm all about content creation and not gaming.
Somehow the only way that I was able to make my MoBo (asus sabertooth z77) recognize my EVGA GTX 1660 ti was installing NV Studio Driver... couldnt find other way.
Thank you for shraing this Ho72.

Reactions: Ho72