[Evga] Evga removes evbot from 680 classified cards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The classified was a horrible value before,

Now there is literally no reason at all to get it....if you want 4gb VRAM you can get cards 100$ cheaper...

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
A shame really that nV won't even let the AIBs differentiate their products by offering voltage control. NV's hard stance this generation seems odd given that they never had an issue with this for 10+ years of GPUs, but now it is not allowed? All those fancy after-market coolers and expensive PCB components don't amount to much if you can't overvolt the product without a physical volt-mod.

Let's hope GTX700 and later series allow for voltage control or this seriously undermines the enthusiast market, forcing people to spend $ for the faster SKUs (like charging $100 for GTX680). I am hoping AMD retains voltage control at least so we have 1 good option for overclockers. If NV wants to prevent overclocking, they should have at least considered "K" series GTX600 cards with full voltage control for $30-40 extra.

Agreed.

AMD will either follow-suit and we will all be screwed, or (hopefully) they continue to allow it and the market favors them for this flexibility. Hopefully NV 'sees the light' and sgifts back to allow customers to make these changes again.

I wonder if they are mirroring Intel in how they are locking-down OC allowances in SKUs? At least Intel allows their more performance parts (K models) to over-volt and OC as needed. Its odd that NV would limit the OC ability of their top-tier cards like GTX 660, 670, and 680.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
NVIDIA might not lose a lot of sales with this move, but they'll certainly lose support within tech communities, which is bad PR too. Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think that is a slam in two directions, nVidia is using their expected $300-350 part to compete with AMD's $500+ part.

nVidia milks their customers, while AMD falls flat on their face. Hey, truth hurts, but AMD falling flat on their face is a victory for us! ~$400 HD 7970s! Hell yeah!

uh...the GTX680 is not a $350 part and the GTX 670 is still $400 but both are beaten by a $300 7950 when you overclock it or a $350 7970 which I've seen around.

Claim they are mid-range chips all you want that is a rehashed and outright false way of thinking. The GTX 680 is the fastest GPU Nvidia makes, this and this alone makes it high end.

Feb 19, 2009
"It appears that Nvidia is attempting to keep the performance differential intact from its unreleased "original" 680 that was withheld at the 600 series launch.

From what I gather with people who know about such things, this may portend a much earlier release of the withheld card than was projected just a few months ago."

So EVGA is saying this?

Therefore GK110 (the "original gtx680") is coming earlier than expected and with a lower than expected perf gain (could well be all that compute crammed into it, hitting a TDP wall thus lower perf/w).. hmm, interesting times ahead.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
"It appears that Nvidia is attempting to keep the performance differential intact from its unreleased "original" 680 that was withheld at the 600 series launch.

From what I gather with people who know about such things, this may portend a much earlier release of the withheld card than was projected just a few months ago."

So EVGA is saying this?

Therefore GK110 (the "original gtx680") is coming earlier than expected and with a lower than expected perf gain (could well be all that compute crammed into it, hitting a TDP wall thus lower perf/w).. hmm, interesting times ahead.
No, that's a member of their forums saying that. Only the first statement is EVGA's.