EVGA doubles up its Step-Up Program to 180 days

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
EVGA is doubling up the terms of its Step-Up Program in Europe for a limited time only. From 16 October to 21 December 2012, end users who purchase an EVGA graphics card2 or motherboard, are able to participate in EVGA’s Step-Up Program within a 180-day period, instead of the standard 90 days.
Read more

:biggrin:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a GK110 gpu.

Fermi came late, and refreshed before AMD could get 6 series out...

Repeat?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It had nothing to do with AMD vs nVidia. I'm just noting that Nvidia came late and could never shake the bad PR of the first run GF100 chips which was probably why they spun out GF110 so quickly.

7970 shares a similar fate, most people probably still think the 680 is faster and the 7970 uses way more power. It's hard to shake those initial reviews. While that's not that case with nVidia they have to see the OC 7970s are faster and I see they're dropping the 680 prices as well.

Seems like a good time for a refresh, after all I'm just a guy hoping for a real high end card.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
Without clicking on, or even hovering over the link can I guess that it's a link to something on Guru3D?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I don't think it actually means anything >.>

EVGA might just be having a harder time in the U than elsewhere.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
So looks like something is coming out Dec 22nd in Europe?
GTX 790 8GB. ^_^

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Probably means they are confident that nothing is coming in the near future lol. :p

Do you guys thing they lose money on the step up program? Or would they not even do it if they did? IF they were losing money doing it, would it be another selling feature they could use to get more sales, considering not everyone would take advantage of the program?

wbynum

Jul 14, 2005
Step-up feature to me always seemed like an advertising gimmick more than anything else. I've never seen the step-up program be more cost effective than just selling the previous card and picking up the latest hot deal on whatever card you want. Only way I could see it useful if you have to get the latest card right at launch when there are no hot deals on the card.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Probably means they are confident that nothing is coming in the near future lol. :p

Do you guys thing they lose money on the step up program? Or would they not even do it if they did? IF they were losing money doing it, would it be another selling feature they could use to get more sales, considering not everyone would take advantage of the program?

Have you seen the gluttony of EVGA re-furbs all over the net? They take your card for pennies, save you next to nothing on your upgrade then re-box the cards and sell them to vendors who buy/sell refurb's. They're not loosing money they're making more.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Have you seen the gluttony of EVGA re-furbs all over the net? They take your card for pennies, save you next to nothing on your upgrade then re-box the cards and sell them to vendors who buy/sell refurb's. They're not loosing money they're making more.

Don't they take the value of what you paid for the card?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Well, does this mean EVGA has product gathering dust on the shelves?

Does this mean that they are pretty sure you won't need an upgrade in the next 6 months because nothing new is coming?

Or, is it since they now charge you for the upgrade program they can afford to sweeten the deal and have more people buy into it?

My guess is #3. They want to make more money on the upgrade program, which most people don't take advantage of, so they are sweetening the deal.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Don't they take the value of what you paid for the card?

Not even close, they force u to pay a retail price thats typically higher than you could find elsewhere for a new card then give u a slight deduction for your old hardware.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Not even close, they force u to pay a retail price thats typically higher than you could find elsewhere for a new card then give u a slight deduction for your old hardware.
When I stepped up from a 260 to a 285 they took the exact price I paid on the invoice off of the new card.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
They take what you payed and apply it to the step up item, so if you bought a GTX 460 for $250 you could step up to a 570 for the price difference or about $120 + shipping both ways.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I got a GTX280 and applied the $399 price to a GTX 295 (did this because it saved me a lot of money not having to buy a second 280) and got my 295 for around $120 maybe after shipping.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Step-up feature to me always seemed like an advertising gimmick more than anything else. I've never seen the step-up program be more cost effective than just selling the previous card and picking up the latest hot deal on whatever card you want. Only way I could see it useful if you have to get the latest card right at launch when there are no hot deals on the card.

How can it not be more cost effective if eVGA give full original purchase price credit for your card towards a step up card?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Just a word of warning - the step-up process turned out to be a bust for me. I paid $20 for the right to step-up, but then found there were over 800 people already in the queue for a GTX680. In the end, waiting in that queue took four months, at which point it would have been the same price to sell the card and buy a GTX680 at Newegg, counting the $20 for enrolling and the $10 shipping charge EVGA applies.

I cancelled the step-up. I'd advise that anyone thinking about paying to enroll should call EVGA first to find out how long the queue is for the given card. If they won't tell you, well, frankly I'd just skip it.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Just a word of warning - the step-up process turned out to be a bust for me. I paid $20 for the right to step-up, but then found there were over 800 people already in the queue for a GTX680. In the end, waiting in that queue took four months, at which point it would have been the same price to sell the card and buy a GTX680 at Newegg, counting the $20 for enrolling and the $10 shipping charge EVGA applies.

I cancelled the step-up. I'd advise that anyone thinking about paying to enroll should call EVGA first to find out how long the queue is for the given card. If they won't tell you, well, frankly I'd just skip it.

Wow, I almost made a snide remark about this VERY thing about 30 minutes ago, but decided not to post it. Because I had not experienced this first hand. However, since you confirmed it, I was going to say this:

"So now that they doubled their step-up time, does that mean the wait time doubles? 6 months wait FTW!" :D