eVGA 7900GT CO Memory now Infineon NOT Samsung

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
I just received my 7900GT CO RMA card from eVGA. It is Deep Freeze stable and appears stable all aorund. It looks like a memory switch was made. Goodbye Samsung, hello Infineon. Also the part number is now N583 not the original N563.

Old Samsung
New Infineon

Hopefully, I'll have a long troublefree run with this new card.....
BTW, eVGA support was outstanding, very fast with clear procedures. They even threw in a copy of Half Life 2, Episode 1 for FREE!

m :)

mikek753

Dec 21, 2005
congr to you ;-)

would you post your 3dmark06 score and gpu / mem speeds? Please.

what's temp? 50C-70C?

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Its not the memory chips. Theres a intensive thread at xtremesystems of what the real problem is. Something to do with a chip part of the PCB that gets extremely hot. 10c hotter than its max recommended temps. The newer cards come with, different colour capacitators according to some users.

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
3DMark06 - 4470
GPU- 500
Mem - 1500
Idle temp - 48C stock cooling
(need to check max temp)

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Its not the memory chips. Theres a intensive thread at xtremesystems of what the real problem is. Something to do with a chip part of the PCB that gets extremely hot. 10c hotter than its max recommended temps. The newer cards come with, different colour capacitators according to some users.

Did I say that the memory was the problem? :confused: I was just saying that the memory has been switched and that I am now stable, unlike before. That's all I care about, stability.....

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I saw that thread. The cards that had the blue/purple capacitors have been shipping for a while now, and there were still problems. EVGA just got these yesterday, and started shipping. We'll see if it fixes it for good.

edit : Mucker, what color is the edge for all the caps on the end of the card near the power connector???

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Id like to know if the evga 7900 cards with the new batch finally fix the issues myself. Thats only reason Ive been holding off. Let us know. :p

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Pens1566

I saw that thread. The cards that had the blue/purple capacitors have been shipping for a while now, and there were still problems. EVGA just got these yesterday, and started shipping. We'll see if it fixes it for good.

edit : Mucker, what color is the edge for all the caps on the end of the card near the power connector???

Here are the two 7900's side by side, Infineon on the left, Samsung on the right:
Pic1

Separately:
Infineon
Sammy

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: Nextman916
never heard of Infineon, can someone fill me in?
They used to be quite popular.

I have Infineon memory as my main system memory. It's actually really good. 2x1GB @ DDR500+ at 3-3-2-7. I've gotten as high as 270mhz at the same low timings. Not that it has anything to do with video cards...

Back on topic, so they've changed memory. Doubt that was ever the problem though.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: wizboy11

I have Infineon memory as my main system memory. It's actually really good. 2x1GB @ DDR500+ at 3-3-2-7. I've gotten as high as 270mhz at the same low timings. Not that it has anything to do with video cards...

Back on topic, so they've changed memory. Doubt that was ever the problem though.

Actually theres been some posts/anoucements around, it looks like it was the memory partly..... It seems to be the memory chips were overheating.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Interesting images.

The soldering and component alignment in them seems to be extremely slapdash to me. Then on top of that most companies don't bother with ramsinks or a decent heatsink.

Compare with the same section of the xpertvision 7900 GT.
Front
Rear

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
The expertvision is a completely different design with 512 MB. Really can't compare it to a lowly stock 7900 GT 256 MB.....

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Fallengod
Originally posted by: wizboy11

Actually theres been some posts/anoucements around, it looks like it was the memory partly..... It seems to be the memory chips were overheating.

Actually, the original samsung memory seemed like it was being run out of spec. That's why downclocking the mem solved the problem for a while.

Mucker: Thanks for the pix. Just as I thought, the caps are the same on both versions. So much for the rumor @xs.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mucker

Did I say that the memory was the problem? :confused: I was just saying that the memory has been switched and that I am now stable, unlike before. That's all I care about, stability.....

Sorry, but i thought it was best for you to know such issues existed. Congrats on your new card, and yes both companies are known for GPU memory.

Infineon is quite old isnt it?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Except in the days of 9700/9800 when they sucked because they didn't overclock at all.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
infineon is the memory/semiconductor spinoff of the company siemens-AG (german i think).

back in the pc100/pc133 memory days they made the name switch around '99 or 2000. and yes they are quite old and very very good memory. they are right up there with micron, samsung, hynix , what have you.

Pheeve

Jul 7, 2006
Anyone know if this is the same for the GTX? My 7900GTX Leadtek died on me after 2 days. Same story. Non Overclock/Stock speed, didnt even bother overclocking since it was pretty fast and my cpu was holding it back. Been about 2 weeks now getting my new GPU From the store its a brand new card, Leadtek said that if the problem comes again email them and they will ship me a new card with the problem fixed.

They also said that the new problem free cards are gonna arive in Australia in 2 Weeks.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I'm amazed that Leadtek managed to get caught up in all of this myself. They normally redesign the reference board before using it. I seem to recall a similar sort of issue back in the GeForce 2 days except that it was 2D quality, not stability at stake back then. Even so, I think it shows that reference boards are exactly that, and they should be optimized by companies seeking to make products. Of course that impacts the ability to churn out large numbers of pcb's cheaply. I know that I always look for custom high quality pcb's for myself and clients, and quality need not cost that much more. The difference in price between a normal 256mb 7900GT and the Xpertvision/Palit/Gainward is only around $40 Australian.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Except in the days of 9700/9800 when they sucked because they didn't overclock at all.

Except it was because they were under volted and when you matched the voltage with the samsung with a little vmod they were ussually went faster.

Pheeve

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
I'm amazed that Leadtek managed to get caught up in all of this myself. They normally redesign the reference board before using it. I seem to recall a similar sort of issue back in the GeForce 2 days except that it was 2D quality, not stability at stake back then. Even so, I think it shows that reference boards are exactly that, and they should be optimized by companies seeking to make products. Of course that impacts the ability to churn out large numbers of pcb's cheaply. I know that I always look for custom high quality pcb's for myself and clients, and quality need not cost that much more. The difference in price between a normal 256mb 7900GT and the Xpertvision/Palit/Gainward is only around $40 Australian.

I moved from AGP to PCIe and went for a full blown upgrade which set me up for awhile and then grab another for SLI but dam thing only lasted 2 days before it started crapping out in TRL.

I think if you got a 7900 card, run TRL with and without Next Gen..this was the first game that showed me the problem and it started when i started switching next gen on / off, it filled up the full gpu memory i think..and this was probably the reason why cs:s dust ran fine even after the screw up while VST crash/slow (water etc..funny it started right on the water cube).

So yea tommorow getting new card..hope it works because i am using my old computer the 6800gt agp and man..after playing games on the 7900 for those 2 days..going back to the GT and waiting almost 2 weeks for new card (no other pci-e gpu i have) is a real killer...

Atleast Leadtek was pretty nice with the support..

Muhadib

Jan 11, 2005
I just got my EVGA 7900gt in yesterday. Same Infineon memory modules, 6 purple caps, 2 smaller blue/green ones as Mucker's pics show. I noticed that some of the numbers on the purple caps were diffrent then the old card. Will keep this thread updated on results.